Keenspace will soon be Toonspace

This is where past, great threads in the history of our forum go.

Keenspace will soon be Toonspace

Postby Chris Crosby on Mon May 23, 2005 3:19 pm

To hopefully make up for that "announcing the announcement in a Websnark comment" idiocy earlier, I'll announce the name publicly first here right on 'Space Forums.

It's Toonspace.

After reading just about every suggestion posted here and everywhere else and taking all into consideration, that's the one that we decided on. What was our reasoning for choosing that name, you ask?

* "Toon" is four letters, just like "Keen." Every domain name will remain the same exact length.

* The "Space" part is retained. You kind folks, if you like, can continue to call yourselves 'Spacers. The SpaceWranglers can continue to call themselves that. And it all sounds nothing like "Keen" or "Spot", which means even the dumbest person will not be confused into thinking one is the other.

* "Toon" is fairly generic, but not so much that it hurts (in our humble opinion, at least). Comic strips and one-panel cartoons are both referred to as "cartoons," or "toons" for short. You could tell someone to "read some of my toons" and it wouldn't sound weird.

* "Toon" doesn't limit the service to just comics or strips. If we ever get into hosting free-for-all Flash animation alongside standard webcomics, that will not make necessary ANOTHER name change.

It's probably not the perfect choice, but we at Keenspot never claimed perfection. That said, I believe it will serve us all well.

The name change will result in the ability to promote yourselves everywhere using the Toonspace name. Expect to see a Toonspace sampler book published and distributed on the next Free Comic Book Day.

We hope to retain a logo as close to the current version as possible, which of course looks awesome.

yourcomicname.keenspace.com URLs will continue to function for a long period of time, at least until 2006. We expect to begin activating the new *.toonspace.com URLs sometime in June.

Any further questions can be brought up here.

Thanks for your patience. Here's to a new era of 'space!
Last edited by Chris Crosby on Mon May 23, 2005 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Crosby
The Keen GodFather
The Keen GodFather

Postby Mr.Bob on Mon May 23, 2005 3:20 pm

NOO! MY MONEY! MY SCA...ENTERPRIZE! I'm RUINED!

What good is my glorious scheme if you just up and TELL everyone for FREE?

You've ruined me Crosby!
Ruined me!
Last edited by Mr.Bob on Mon May 23, 2005 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Bob
:(
:(

Postby Phalanx on Mon May 23, 2005 3:23 pm

It's not perfect, but I guess it'll do. Thanks for taking the trouble.

The upshot is the K-star logo is easily modified into a T-star logo.
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby TheSuburbanLetdown on Mon May 23, 2005 3:23 pm

Hmmm. A lot better than I thought it would be. It does make me think of Roger Rabbit though.

Coolness.
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value

Postby Ryuko on Mon May 23, 2005 3:24 pm

Hmmm... I like it. I don't LOVE it, but I like it. :)

Yay!
Ryuko
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mercury Hat on Mon May 23, 2005 3:25 pm

Hahaha that's what you get, Bob. That's what you get!

*slips Crosby a sawbuck*
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)

Postby Warren on Mon May 23, 2005 3:25 pm

It's not bad. I can deal with it.
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
Proudly despised by ex-wives since 2008.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care
Warren
Cartoon Hero

Postby Steverules on Mon May 23, 2005 3:26 pm

I like it. After all the names that have been floating around in my head this name comes as a relief.
Also, people (general public) will remember it easier than keenspace. I can tell people who know me to go to stevestacy.toonspace.com. Easy to remember. Now we can move forward with our lives.
Steverules
Cartoon Hero

Postby TheSuburbanLetdown on Mon May 23, 2005 3:27 pm

Whenever I told people my url, they all thought I was saying "kingspace"

:evil:
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value

Postby Evil Jamie! on Mon May 23, 2005 3:27 pm

HAH!
Evil Jamie!
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rianeva on Mon May 23, 2005 3:31 pm

Um... workable, I guess. Not something I would have picked, but, hey, I'm not the one making the decisions here. =p
Rianeva
Regular Poster

Postby Ida on Mon May 23, 2005 3:31 pm

It's not Loverocket. I guess that means we're pretty lucky. :wink:

Anyway, I'm not that excited over the name, but it works, and it could be much worse. My main concern, aside form the Roger Rabbit thing, is that until I get used to it, it clashes a bit with some of the epic-style long-form comics on the server. I mean - "epic drama, now on Toonspace"?

But yeah, it's fine. I'll get used to it in no time. 8)
Warning: This poster regularly makes unintentionally sexual posts. Or at least "unintentional" is what she claims...

Ida
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ryuko on Mon May 23, 2005 3:32 pm

Ida wrote:It's not Loverocket. I guess that means we're pretty lucky. :wink:

Anyway, I'm not that excited over the name, but it works, and it could be much worse. My main concern, aside form the Roger Rabbit thing, is that until I get used to it, it clashes a bit with some of the epic-style long-form comics on the server. I mean - "epic drama, now on Toonspace"?

Well, it's not any better or worse than "epic drama, now on Keenspace." If you think about it, Keenspace is a pretty nerdy name. Not to offend anyone... It's like saying, "I have dramatic angst and operatic plotlines, isn't that keen!?"
Ryuko
Cartoon Hero

Postby Stinkywigfiddle on Mon May 23, 2005 3:33 pm

PeppermintAfterlife wrote:Whenever I told people my url, they all thought I was saying "kingspace"

:evil:

Yeah, I had that problem too. So I just gave them my card. But now I'll have to change my cards!
Last edited by Stinkywigfiddle on Mon May 23, 2005 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Stinkywigfiddle
Cartoon Hero

Re: Keenspace will soon be Toonspace

Postby Tim on Mon May 23, 2005 3:33 pm

Chris Crosby wrote:And it all sounds nothing like "Keen" or "Spot", which means even the dumbest person will not be confused into thinking one is the other.

Do not underestimate the stupidity of people in general. On the Internet, doubly so. ;)

Anyway, long live Toonspace!
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
Tim
Cartoon Hero

Location: Bay State, ol' Bay State, I lift my heart to you (bum bum bum)

Postby Subhuman on Mon May 23, 2005 3:35 pm

I was never in love with Keenspace to begin with. Toonspace works fine. And yeah, it could be hella worse.
Subhuman
Cartoon Hero

Postby Risky on Mon May 23, 2005 3:37 pm

"Keen" isn't epic either, Ida. :) The epic story of forever and drama.keen anything. com takes some getting used to, as others said (sorry, I post too slowly). Theelven.toonspace.com is kind of grating at the moment, but I think that (the gratingness) will both go away with time and matter less for the epic comics with domain names hosted on toonspace. Especially since subdomain forwarding is still working atm.

Major kudos to Chris for posting this here, and also for answering Kelly's admin/strike post.
Last edited by Risky on Mon May 23, 2005 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Scott
Image Image
Risky

Re: Keenspace will soon be Toonspace

Postby Steverules on Mon May 23, 2005 3:40 pm

Chris Crosby wrote:The name change will result in the ability to promote yourselves everywhere using the Toonspace name. Expect to see a Toonspace sampler book published and distributed on the next Free Comic Book Day.

This is the best part about the change. Finally, we can promote at conventions.
Steverules
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ida on Mon May 23, 2005 3:41 pm

Ryuko wrote:

Well, it's not any better or worse than "epic drama, now on Keenspace." If you think about it, Keenspace is a pretty nerdy name. Not to offend anyone... It's like saying, "I have dramatic angst and operatic plotlines, isn't that keen!?"

Psst... Wanna know an embarassing secret? I didn't have any idea what 'Keen' meant until a few months ago, and by then I only associated it with 'Spot and 'Space. Oh, the joys of being a foreigner! :wink:
Warning: This poster regularly makes unintentionally sexual posts. Or at least "unintentional" is what she claims...

Ida
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ryuko on Mon May 23, 2005 3:42 pm

Ida wrote:
Ryuko wrote:

Psst... Wanna know an embarassing secret? I didn't have any idea what 'Keen' meant until a few months ago, and by then I only associated it with 'Spot and 'Space. Oh, the joys of being a foreigner! :wink:

:P crazy foreigners
Ryuko
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to Archives