Con Report: Rainfurrest 2008

The happening place to be. Unless you go somewhere else that's more stimulating.

Con Report: Rainfurrest 2008

Postby Redcrow on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:01 pm

Hey--just got back from Rainfurrest 2008 last night. I thought I'd give you guys a report.

The Setup

The con had an aviation theme this year, which also served to structure the admin of the con rather nicely.

Registration was in a small conference room set up like an airport lobby check in area in miniature. Pre-reg'ed people could self check-in on remote terminals. The counter staff provided onsite registration and provided schedules and promo goodies for all attendees.

This was far better than my previous con, where when I went to check in, I was told there was nothing on the database about me. Fortunately I had saved hard copies of everything and presented those. I was awarded Most Organized Con Attendee on the spot.

There was the Control Tower, where the Flight Crew monitored things around the clock. Aptly, this was on the hotel's 4th floor overlooking the atrium. Staff wore flight uniforms for easy identification.

The Scene

I would guess that the majority of attendees were Fur Suiters and Therians. It took me nearly the whole weekend to realize that I belonged to the Arts cohort of the Furry scene. As I am quite shy among strangers, I spent most of my time haunting panel discussions about furry art and comics.

These were not as well attended as the social events. Even the two Guest of Honor panels were sparsely attended (Werepuppy: a yiff comics artist). I avoided the Guest of Honor Dinner though, because mostly I didn't want to eat Rubber Chicken in Grease Saute'.

Saturday afternoon there was a brief fursuit hoedown, with a real bluegrass fiddler. This was in the hotel's swimming pool atrium, so I pulled up a chair and watched. The event ended with a gratifying chorus of howls.

I was kinda disappointed that I didn't see nearly as many quadropedal furries as I had at Conifur 2005. But then again, I tended to avoid the large social gatherings where they were more like to have been.

Trivial Annoyances

I wanted to go to bed early on Saturday night because I was too excited to get a full nights-worth on Friday. I went to my room and clicked on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim and watched a few programs. Gradually I became aware of people outside my window talking very loudly. Some attendees had started a tailgate party at a car parked about thirty feet below my window. It was the drunken type where everybody is bellowing at each other. And that was before someone turned on the car stereo.

Around 10:00pm, everyone drifted off except for two, who commenced to have a lovers quarrel that lasted 40 minutes while the car stereo played on. They stopped and left; I got a decent nights sleep.

The con schedule was poorly updated. About three panels which I marked on my schedule did not happen. Two were dropped from updated schedules, and one remained on the schedule but seemed to have been erased from the minds of the Flight Crew. I didn't mind that much. These guys do the best they can for no money.

Furry and Anime'? was one of un-events. My evil side had hoped for rancor and invective, given how there is this pointless mutual hatred between genres among some in the respective fandoms. Five of us showed up, but there was no panel leader, so we hung out and talked trash.

The Arts

There were panels and workshops for suit construction, drawing, and the social aspect of Furry fandom.

I attended art lectures, one entitled Light and Composition with KunCoon. That one was about basic light-and-dark concepts.

Marker Shading was not what I expected. I didn't have markers with me, but attended it for new information. It turned out that the demonstrations were entirely in MS Photoshop and MS Paint. Here I got some much need basic knowledge. My one attempt at coloring in Photoshop some time ago was thwarted by the fact that I did not know how to use the application and I gave up. I'm going to give it another shot.

Immediately thereafter in the same room was Anatomy with Kazan. I was able to pick up a couple of techniques that would make my basic sketches a little easier.

I attended several panels led by the Guest of Honor WerePuppy. The Q & A panel gave us a chance to get art pointers from him.

As I mentioned before, I really belonged to the art crowd, but I was afraid to attend the art jams, because I was almost entirely outclassed in ability at this con. I should have given it a shot, because later I saw one of the Jam portfolios and realized there were a few in my league who had been brave enough to contribute. So this is good incentive for me to practice practice practice.

Dealer's Den

This was smaller than the previous con I attended; there were fewer comics artists. My browsing through on Friday didn't turn up anything I really wanted to buy. But by Sunday, I realized that I had to have Werepuppy's Rocket Ship Rodents. I bought an autographed issue # 1.

I donated a couple of bucks to Ferret Rescue, whom had a booth in the Dealers Room.

I found someone selling copies of a graphic novel called Finding Avalon. This was done in a strong manga style with beautiful coloring. It was printed on glossy magazine stock. Now, the content would offend 99.99% of sentient beings, but I can assure you that there is no violence or non-consensual sex. The narrative is actually pretty emo.

I bought issue # 1 of that as well, and I was given it for 1/2 off the cover price. I didn't even bargain for it!

So with my treasure safely packed in my luggage, I got into my faithful Honda Akira and headed back to Portland.

Tacked On Comment:

The bank I do business with failed this weekend, to my mild shock. Holy Herbert Hoover, Batman! I got the information from the complimentary Sunday paper the hotel provided. Otherwise, I was pretty much on planet Furry the whole time. I went to one of the bank's ATM machine, expecting to see a screen display saying

"We're sorry--this machine is out of order. Please try another of our fine locations!"

And of course, every machine on the entire WaMu network would be displaying the same thing. Fortunately the bastard coughed up the dough.

I'm beginning to believe that my snarky comments about an approaching Great Depression may be coming true. But fuggit. I had a good time.
Last edited by Redcrow on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Redcrow
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Portland

Re: Con Report: Rainfurrest 2008

Postby Hungrywolf on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:16 pm

Redcrow wrote:This was far better than my previous con, where when I went to check in, I was told there was nothing on the database about me. Fortunately I had saved hard copies of everything and presented those. I was awarded Most Organized Con Attendee on the spot.


Well that sounds much better than the horrible long line at AnthroCon... never again with that ordeal.

Redcrow wrote:I would guess that the majority of attendees were Fur Suiters and Therians. It took me nearly the whole weekend to realize that I belonged to the Arts cohort of the Furry scene. As I am quite shy among strangers, I spent most of my time haunting panel discussions about furry art and comics.


I would of been so alone in that situation. Neither side really appeals to me. Glad you at least found something to do.

Redcrow wrote:Furry and Anime'? was one of un-events. My evil side had hoped for rancor and invective, given how there is this pointless mutual hatred between genres among some in the respective fandoms. Five of us showed up, but there was no panel leader, so we hung out and talked trash.


I'm secretly trying to be both... shhhh... >_>
Hungrywolf
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 816
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:35 am
Location: Living the sweet life out in Southern California's beautiful San Fernando Valley!

Re: Con Report: Rainfurrest 2008

Postby ShannC on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:11 pm

Redcrow wrote:I found someone selling copies of a graphic novel called Finding Avalon. This was done in a strong manga style with beautiful coloring. It was printed on glossy magazine stock. Now, the content would offend 99.99% of sentient beings, but I can assure you that there is no violence or non-consensual sex. The narrative is actually pretty emo.


Image
User avatar
ShannC
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:03 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Con Report: Rainfurrest 2008

Postby Hungrywolf on Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:20 am

The better reaction would be...

Image
"I SEE NOTHING, NOTHING!!!"

Although let's not throw stones in glass houses. I would think that would be a bit better than those weird S&M pics I saw at AnthroCon...
Hungrywolf
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 816
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:35 am
Location: Living the sweet life out in Southern California's beautiful San Fernando Valley!

Re: Con Report: Rainfurrest 2008

Postby ShannC on Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:34 am

Linking a loldog is hardly throwing stones and I'll never stop mocking porn(porn, not people; well that too but anyway)

Have some swedish comedy, cartoon Robin Hood cosplayer Rule 34'ing himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op6j1CG78oY&feature=related

No, it's not that bad. Slightly NSFW and you don't need to understand the words.
User avatar
ShannC
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:03 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Con Report: Rainfurrest 2008

Postby Redcrow on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:12 pm

Hungrywolf wrote:
Redcrow wrote:This was far better than my previous con, where when I went to check in, I was told there was nothing on the database about me. Fortunately I had saved hard copies of everything and presented those. I was awarded Most Organized Con Attendee on the spot.


Well that sounds much better than the horrible long line at AnthroCon... never again with that ordeal.


What made Rainfurrest appealing to me was that it is a newer, smaller con. I was talking to someone about other cons. I said that I didn't think I could handle Further Confusion(let alone AnthroCon).

He said that FC is pretty friendly and it's like one big family, but I've heard different. I'm a super-introvert. It takes me longer to connect to people than your average extrovert. Like our hapless hero Evan Li, I tend to worry about the image I'm projecting.


Redcrow wrote:I would guess that the majority of attendees were Fur Suiters and Therians. It took me nearly the whole weekend to realize that I belonged to the Arts cohort of the Furry scene. As I am quite shy among strangers, I spent most of my time haunting panel discussions about furry art and comics.


Hungrywolf wrote:
I would of been so alone in that situation. Neither side really appeals to me. Glad you at least found something to do.


It was lonely at times. Lots of people came with friends; I'm the only one of my own social circle that's interested in this stuff. But I did go with the intent to learn things, which I did. I did have enough fun to want to go to at least one more con.

Redcrow wrote:Furry and Anime'? was one of un-events. My evil side had hoped for rancor and invective, given how there is this pointless mutual hatred between genres among some in the respective fandoms. Five of us showed up, but there was no panel leader, so we hung out and talked trash.


Hungrywolf wrote:
I'm secretly trying to be both... shhhh... >_>


Heh--I'm not so secretly being both--but seriously I prefer Anime' that has a complex enough narrative to appeal to an adult--not that Saturday morning anime' that is all mecha or transmogrification and all the the characters spending 10 minutes verbally fencing and 20 minutes fighting.



I'm very grateful that there are anime' directors like Satoshi Kon that are willing to delve into the human psyche and then animate it. Now if some decent Kemono stuff makes it to America's shores, I'll be set.
User avatar
Redcrow
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Portland

Re: Con Report: Rainfurrest 2008

Postby Hungrywolf on Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:23 pm

Redcrow wrote:What made Rainfurrest appealing to me was that it is a newer, smaller con. I was talking to someone about other cons. I said that I didn't think I could handle Further Confusion(let alone AnthroCon).

He said that FC is pretty friendly and it's like one big family, but I've heard different. I'm a super-introvert. It takes me longer to connect to people than your average extrovert. Like our hapless hero Evan Li, I tend to worry about the image I'm projecting.


Yeah he's pretty great. Also what city was this convention being held at?

Redcrow wrote:It was lonely at times. Lots of people came with friends; I'm the only one of my own social circle that's interested in this stuff. But I did go with the intent to learn things, which I did. I did have enough fun to want to go to at least one more con.


I think the small con idea is a good one. Bigger cons like AnthroCon seem to be more better for the above averaged interested furry. Than fringe people like me. But I could be wrong.

Redcrow wrote:Heh--I'm not so secretly being both--but seriously I prefer Anime' that has a complex enough narrative to appeal to an adult--not that Saturday morning anime' that is all mecha or transmogrification and all the the characters spending 10 minutes verbally fencing and 20 minutes fighting.


Nothing wrong with Anime that isn't "complex" or "adult-ish". Mecha, and all that other stuff is apart of the charm of Japanese animation. I've found many a show for kids that were more than enjoyable. But if you want to be that way I guess you'll miss out on this... Kaiketsu Zorori
Hungrywolf
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 816
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:35 am
Location: Living the sweet life out in Southern California's beautiful San Fernando Valley!

Re: Con Report: Rainfurrest 2008

Postby Redcrow on Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:09 pm

Hungrywolf wrote:
Yeah he's pretty great. Also what city was this convention being held at?

This was in Seattle, within a mile of SeaTac Airport

Redcrow wrote:It was lonely at times. Lots of people came with friends; I'm the only one of my own social circle that's interested in this stuff. But I did go with the intent to learn things, which I did. I did have enough fun to want to go to at least one more con.

Hungrywolf wrote:I think the small con idea is a good one. Bigger cons like AnthroCon seem to be more better for the above averaged interested furry. Than fringe people like me. But I could be wrong.


I don't know. I've only been to two cons, and they were both small and both in Seattle.

Redcrow wrote:Heh--I'm not so secretly being both--but seriously I prefer Anime' that has a complex enough narrative to appeal to an adult--not that Saturday morning anime' that is all mecha or transmogrification and all the the characters spending 10 minutes verbally fencing and 20 minutes fighting.

Hungrywolf wrote:Nothing wrong with Anime that isn't "complex" or "adult-ish". Mecha, and all that other stuff is apart of the charm of Japanese animation. I've found many a show for kids that were more than enjoyable. But if you want to be that way I guess you'll miss out on this... Kaiketsu Zorori


Heh, I guess I do have some guilty pleasures within my anime'. But I guess what I'm trying to say its that I want surprises and not a lot of cliche's.
User avatar
Redcrow
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Portland


 

Return to End of Things, The



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest