My trip to Ann Arbor

The happening place to be. Unless you go somewhere else that's more stimulating.

Re: My trip to Ann Arbor

Postby Prettysenshi on Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:53 pm

Pravus wrote:aren't there nazis everywhere?

i remember when nazis marched around my school. granted, there were cops, but let me tell you, as a black chick, that scared the shit out of me. not so much that they marched (though that did really freak me out), but that in South Carolina, Marilyn Manson is banned from performing in the state, but nazis can march and preach that all non whites should live on reservations.
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Postby TheSuburbanLetdown on Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:32 am

Paul Escobar wrote:Xander! Welcome, comrade!

So what do you say regarding a meet-up?

(Apologies, Suburban, seems we've went and hijacked your topic.)
It's alright. Topic drift can be a good thing.
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value

Postby Paul Escobar on Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:59 am

Cool.

Well, we need to find out when we're doing this.

Bloodied Fox wrote:I've already got the week starting august 18th booked so that's an optimal time for me, otherwise I'd have to nag work about rescheduling some of my other time off

XanderMorhaime wrote:give me a month's notice in advance and have it before October, and I should be able to make it all the same.

Paul Escobar wrote:I'll be visiting my parents for a few days around June 14th, but other than that, I can go whenever suits you guys.

So around 18th-24th August could be the time? Shann, what do you say?
Paul Escobar
Cartoon Hero

Postby Pravus on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:03 am

Good for you...We should have a Canadian one...
Pravus
Cartoon Hero

Postby ShannC on Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:11 am

Since we came to a slow start, I say yes. August is alright!

Xander. We better find some hostel then... but we can discuss that over PM I s'pose
ShannC
Regular Poster

Postby XanderMorhaime on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:40 am

18-24th should work for me as well.

Just curious, though, Shann... why the insistence that I not tell anyone on the Jack forums about the meet? I mean, I can understand wanting to avoid summoning he of the strange suit and unreasonable amounts of film gear, but still, there's other folks still around there that might be nice to have around.
My FurAffinity Page - go see (pretty please?)
XanderMorhaime

Postby ShannC on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:21 pm

Well, that's pretty much the first reason.

The second reason was that, since the core group of 80% hardly frequent those forums anymore, I thought it wouldn't be any point or in fact noone I already knew would even want to come if I advertised there. I don't take chances when I'm uncertain about the mood..

Third, the whole thing was informally scrapped and still is. I figured it was better to make an inofficial holidays this time around and also change location to someplace a bit more convenient.

This is not to say it wouldn't be cool with a newb face from this forum, and if everyone was fine with posting info about this on the other forum, I'm not much against it. I'm neutral on the matter and have no real interest since I don't have any relation with that place anymore.
ShannC
Regular Poster

Postby Pravus on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:22 pm

Have a cigar
Pravus
Cartoon Hero

Postby ShannC on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:24 pm

Pravus wrote:Have a cigar

Thanks, but I'm happy to declare myself a non-smoker these days.

Have a drink on me!
ShannC
Regular Poster

Postby Pravus on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:27 pm

Thanks, but you may go to jail. Eh, what the heck, I've had stuff anyway. Give me a shot of brandy! Only a shot, cause I don't want o be too burned
Pravus
Cartoon Hero

Postby ShannC on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:29 pm

Where I'm from you don't go to jail for offering a drink to a minor, unless of course you have any sort of intention with that. He he
ShannC
Regular Poster

Postby Pravus on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:31 pm

No....just no. Anyway, what drinks are local in Sweden?
Pravus
Cartoon Hero

Postby Paul Escobar on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:31 pm

Xander, I'm neutral with regards to you advertising this on the Jack forum. I don't frequent that forum anymore, so for me this is "let's meet up 'cause I like hanging out with you guys". But if anyone new or some of the other guys who were at our previous meet-ups were to attend that'd be fine, too. (Except you-know-who, whom seemingly everyone wants to avoid by now...)

I suppose it may be a bit odd for Jack forumites to have time and place served as a fait accompli decided upon elsewhere. Then again, that's not my concern. Do what you think is for the best.

Although I think this is officially a The End Of Things Con by now. (Hmm, sounds rather ominous, doesn't it?) We should get Suburban to attend, too. :)
Paul Escobar
Cartoon Hero

Postby XanderMorhaime on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:44 pm

Well, I suppose I'll poke around, ask a few familiar sorts just to be sure...

I'm thinking of Final Gamer, Arcaton, maybe Airborne as well, to start with at least. Asking out in the open might still be a bit risky - no telling who's lurking around and watching.

And for the record - it started being ominous when it started being a somewhat-secret affair, really.
My FurAffinity Page - go see (pretty please?)
XanderMorhaime

Postby Paul Escobar on Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:03 am

I don't know what Bloodied and Shann think about this, but personally, I don't have a problem with you making a thread on the Jack forum and advertising it as "Euro Jack Con 2008". I mean, I understand the reasons Shann listed above - it's not so much a secret affair as it's a "got nothing to do with reading Jack" affair. But if we have a combination End of Things + Jack meet-up, that's fine with me.
Paul Escobar
Cartoon Hero

Postby Bloodied Fox on Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:56 am

My main worry with that would be having all these people I don't know turn up, and this time not having the common thread of a comic we both enjoy to use as a starting point. I know it's lame but I don't have any positive thoughts about that comic or its forum anymore and I'd rather just avoid it if at all possible.

If I'm outvoted on this than I won't be a spoilsport and complain, but personally I'd prefer to keep this a one forum thing.

God, I feel like such a phenomenal prick now :(
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Bloodied Fox
Regular Poster

Postby ShannC on Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:43 pm

Here's how I see it. It could be cool with some dude from this forum who is down with the End of things. Then you get the luxury talking about an online experience with yet another person. It's also nice to meet people you've met before, meaning that almost universally, I like the old faces.

Jack.. I don't really care, so new people from there won't add anything for me. But for me here's a scale between neutral and worse in that case. That's to say, it's hell of a lot more "F-BOMB" over there. I can watch with a bit of kind bemusement upon wolf t-shirts, hand puppets and, god forbid, plush ears and tails and shit, as long as it doesn't get really weird. Although there's no telling. :D
, but maybe that'll exclude the possibilities of spending an evening at Paul's or Mr. T's place, and that'd be a shame.

I was just on the train two times so people who appeared in London and Berlin could come as they're already on, though I'd prefer if they dug through End of things first. :D

sorry, drunk.. but yeah, I trust your judgement Xander.. PM those you want if you want, but we're no Jack meet anymore so no official post.
ShannC
Regular Poster

Postby Paul Escobar on Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:26 pm

Upon reading Bloodied and Shann's posts and giving it second thoughts, I've changed my mind. Advertising this on the Jack forum isn't a good idea. (Yeah, I know I brought up that option myself.)

This is an End of Things meet. It'd be cool if more End of Things readers were to attend. It'd also be cool to see some of the old Jack con folks, but selling it to anyone as anything but an End of Things meet would be dishonest, for lack of a better word. If people come with the wrong expectations, it'll probably just end up all kinds of awkward.

So yeah. I think we should limit advertising this to people on this forum plus those Xander would like to contact privately.

Heck, meeting people from off the internet is wacky enough in itself. It's quite odd being in the same pub with four other people and it turns out all of us know who Jay Naylor is...
Paul Escobar
Cartoon Hero

Postby TheSuburbanLetdown on Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:40 pm

I've met Jay Naylor.
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value

Postby Paul Escobar on Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:46 pm

Any juicy/funny/embarrassing details?
Paul Escobar
Cartoon Hero