Association

The happening place to be. Unless you go somewhere else that's more stimulating.

Association

Postby Tangywolf on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:34 pm

With which EoT character do you most associate yourself, and why?

It's a bit cliché, I'm sure, but I'd say it's Evan for me. When I first started reading, there was some connection there, but I didn't really feel like it was that strong. I showed the comic to a friend a few days ago, though, and he told me that he thinks Evan's a lot like me in that he's sort of gloomy and introspective most of the time, but has outbursts of happiness and silliness. After that, I read through the archives again and realized that he was right.

As I said in the "Why do you read The End of Things?" thread, I think that connection is the reason I like this comic so much. It's an awful lot like reading about my own life.
[indie paws music blog] - I write for it, sometimes.
Tangywolf
Regular Poster

Re: Association

Postby Pravus on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:41 pm

Hmm...I'd say a mix of Evan and Maynard. I'm like Evan in my pessimistic views on life, the hair, and the low belief in myself. I'm like Maynard because I like the fine things in life, I like things to go my way, I can be snobbish, but I do have a caring side. Also, I used to wear glasses (I have contacts now, though).

Hmm...this may be way out there, but I can see Maynard and Ryan being Evan's Id and Superego, respectively. Maynard wants everything good (He only takes the finest beer), while Ryan trie to be a moral compass (He destroys the anger painting since he knows that it's wrong, and he tries to help Evan). It's a stretch, but it's only a thought.
Pravus
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tangywolf on Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:34 pm

Pravus wrote:Hmm...this may be way out there, but I can see Maynard and Ryan being Evan's Id and Superego, respectively. Maynard wants everything good (He only takes the finest beer), while Ryan trie to be a moral compass (He destroys the anger painting since he knows that it's wrong, and he tries to help Evan). It's a stretch, but it's only a thought.

Actually, that's a good observation. Now that you mention it, it makes a lot of sense.

I should mention, too, that the friend who told me I'm a lot like Evan most associates himself with Maynard. He gets irritated very easily with ignorant people and considers himself a bit of a snob. Oh, and he loves the glasses, even though he doesn't wear corrective lenses.
Tangywolf
Regular Poster

Postby Redcrow on Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:41 pm

Pravus wrote:
Hmm...this may be way out there, but I can see Maynard and Ryan being Evan's Id and Superego, respectively. Maynard wants everything good (He only takes the finest beer), while Ryan trie to be a moral compass (He destroys the anger painting since he knows that it's wrong, and he tries to help Evan). It's a stretch, but it's only a thought.

Uh...Ryan hasn't destroyed it yet, has he? I think his girlfriend has only reminded him at this point.

I think that Ryan is feeling contrite at this point, but I can foresee at least one more resentful confrontation between between Evan and he.

I'm waiting for Maynard and Evan to say something real to each other, rather than this desultory banter that's been going on since they got in the car.
Redcrow
Regular Poster

Postby Yeahduff on Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:09 am

I wouldn't want to associate with any of these lowlives.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby TheSuburbanLetdown on Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:17 am

yeahduff wrote:I wouldn't want to associate with any of these lowlives.

What is this, the laziness hour?
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value

Postby TheSuburbanLetdown on Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:19 am

Redcrow wrote:I'm waiting for Maynard and Evan to say something real to each other, rather than this desultory banter that's been going on since they got in the car.

Do you mean Ted?
TheSuburbanLetdown

Postby Bloodied Fox on Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:02 pm

That guy standing on the library balcony in 'The Ass in Assassin' :P

Seriously though, probably Ryan, in that I'm opinated, perpetually angry and hypocritical concerning people's problems given my own.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Bloodied Fox
Regular Poster

Postby Paul Escobar on Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:09 pm

I don't really identify with any of the characters. I'm detached or some shit.

But Maynard probably comes closest to my own personality, if that's what you meant?

As a reader, I like all the main characters. They are so very human in their quirks and failings, and (as someone said about a completely different set of characters) so beautiful in their tragedy.
Paul Escobar
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tangywolf on Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:40 pm

Paul Escobar wrote:But Maynard probably comes closest to my own personality, if that's what you meant?

That works. I meant either that or just the character to whom you feel most emotionally attached (not in a romantic way or anything, obviously... unless you happen to have those kinds of feelings for drawings D:).
Tangywolf
Regular Poster

Postby Redcrow on Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:57 pm

theSuburbanLetdown wrote:
Redcrow wrote:I'm waiting for Maynard and Evan to say something real to each other, rather than this desultory banter that's been going on since they got in the car.

Do you mean Ted?

I do. I was toast when I posted that reply.

I probably made the transpositon because they both wear glasses.
Redcrow
Regular Poster

Postby TheSuburbanLetdown on Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:01 pm

I'm quite enjoying the interaction between Ted and Evan. Ted is pretty different than the other characters and gives Evan a lot of crap. Evan acts like a different person around him too.
TheSuburbanLetdown

Postby Tangywolf on Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:19 pm

Evan acts different around everyone, it seems. He's a bit of a chameleon.
Tangywolf
Regular Poster

Postby Pravus on Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:39 am

Heh, it's very easy to do hat as long as you don't think bout it :P
Pravus
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jackson on Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:08 am

I think I'm a mixture of Ryan and Evan, which is a terrible combination when I think about it. I actually found it creepy how simmilar Evan's idiosyncracies are to mine (anorexia issues included).
Jackson
Regular Poster

Postby PortableNuke on Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:40 pm

I don't really associate myself with any character. Ted is new, so I can't say what his personality is like.

I see shades of myself in the characters, but I don't see all of myself in the characters. They are all so serious about everything. They don't have a self parodying sense of humor.
PortableNuke
Regular Poster

Postby ComradeK on Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:23 pm

tangywolf wrote:Evan acts different around everyone, it seems. He's a bit of a chameleon.

Ah, sir, your introspection is ready!
Bon appetit!

And also, hi.
ComradeK
Regular Poster

Postby Tangywolf on Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:38 pm

ComradeK wrote:
tangywolf wrote:Evan acts different around everyone, it seems. He's a bit of a chameleon.

Ah, sir, your introspection is ready!
Bon appetit!

And also, hi.

Hey, I've already said Evan's a lot like me.

Also, hi. :D
Tangywolf
Regular Poster

Return to End of Things, The