Wii demand satisfaction

The happening place to be. Unless you go somewhere else that's more stimulating.
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value

Wii demand satisfaction

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

I just played Zelda on the Nintendo Wii at a Game Stop on my lunch break, and it feels so foreign. I've been playing video games since 1987 with a controller, and this throws all that out the window. But this could very well be the next evolutionary step in gaming, as it's not just a simple gimmick. But my, it takes some getting used to. I have logged 40+ hours on the Game Cube version of Zelda and I found the Wii version to be difficult just to finish the second dungeon.

On a different note, I was only there for 20 minutes, and 4 people came in and asked if they had any Wiis. They most certainly didn't.

Gildedtongue
Regular Poster

Post by Gildedtongue »

It's tougher, yeah...

But you do get used to it after some time. It takes a little bit to slowly get used to the control scheme, but some games, like Wii Sports, that'll let you get used to the controller in your hand. Games like Zelda feel a bit more complex.

Whatupwidat
Regular Poster

Post by Whatupwidat »

The whole world gets the Wii except me, I swear to god.

No, I'm not a fan. I don't understand how it's anything more than a gimmick like DDR. I've played the Wii, and it's fun, but that's all it is. I really can't see myself playing a game like Call of Duty or FEAR on it. I'll stick to my mouse and keyboard ta.

TheSuburbanLetdown

It's pretty neat, but only time will tell if it lasts. Nintendo seems to have a good handle on the idea, but I dunno how third party developers will use it. Truly though, the crusty old man inside me really really likes his standard controller and didn't really see what was wrong with changing that. Though Nintendo wisely made a standard controller available.

Fallen_angel
Regular Poster

Post by Fallen_angel »

Well, on the third party side, Red Steel was abysmal. The detection for the sword and gun usage was wretched, and really highlighted the weaknesses of the Wii rather than its strengths.
panda panda panda panda panda panda PAN-DA...

TheSuburbanLetdown

I figured stuff like that would happen, but it's still in its infancy. Give it time and i think it can really go places the powerglove wished it could.

On a completely different note, Okami would rock on something like the Nintendo DS.

Whatupwidat
Regular Poster

Post by Whatupwidat »

Unfortunatly, it'll go the same way as the Gamecube. it'll be the most modern and innovative, but independent software and games designers will stick to the 360 and the PS3...whenever the fuck that system comes out.

Just gimme a PC any day. Less faffing about.

Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Post by Yeahduff »

What I like about the Wii is precisely the fact that it's fun. That's something that's been lost in the race to get the greatest graphics and the most memory and all sorts of add-ons and weird controllers with fifty-seven buttons. The simple, social type games seem to be the specialty, but I must say that the idea of playing Metroid on this thing thrills the hell out of me. I don't know what it has to be other then fun.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

Col
Cartoon Villain

Post by Col »

I've only played Wii Sports on it, and that was a really good time! I could have played tennis all day. I'll definitely be getting one later on when the price is lowered and there's more games. Like Duff said, Metroid will be killer on this console. It'll be interesting to see what they manage to do with this new type of controller for future games.

TheSuburbanLetdown

I'm almost done with Twilight Princess, so I'm on the market for a Wii now if I can get my grubby hands on one. Having a Gamecube slot on the back was a good idea.
Whatupwidat wrote:Unfortunatly, it'll go the same way as the Gamecube. it'll be the most modern and innovative, but independent software and games designers will stick to the 360 and the PS3...whenever the fuck that system comes out.

Just gimme a PC any day. Less faffing about.
Do you mean the DS? I didn't find the Gamecube to be all that innovative, just pretty solid as a next generation system. Did it tout some sort of edge the competition didn't have? I honestly don't rememeber.

It was kind of a damn shame that Nintendo lost a lot of third party support starting with the N64, but they sorta brought it on themeselves with the legendary Sony Playstation debacle, as well as being difficult to work for I hear. Dunno if many people know about the origins of the Playstation. It's kind of a funny story. Not for Nintendo though. I like this story so I'm going to tell it anyway.

The Playstation was originally a joint project with Nintendo. But Nintendo wanted them to make an add on for the SNES (like the Sega CD), but Sony wanted it to be a completely separate system. Nintendo scrapped it and broke the contract agreement, so Sony went off and made their own system. Then every game franchise that wasn't Nintendo's went over to Sony. If it weren't for the strength of their first party franchises and Rare, they woulda been in serious trouble. Though I lost a lot of faith in Rare after Starfox Adventures was outsourced to them. That game is the definition of mediocrity. But I've talked about that way too any times so I'll stop there.
Last edited by TheSuburbanLetdown on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Col
Cartoon Villain

Post by Col »

Yeah, just the fact that not only can you play your old Gamecube games on it, but you can also plug in your gamecube controllers to play it makes it seem even cooler to me.

JTigerclaw
Cartoon Hero

Post by JTigerclaw »

I love the fact that you can play old school games on the Nintendo Wii as well as the new games designed for the Wiimote. Looking at the Wiimote at first appeared like it would be really hard to learn, but after actually using it, there's only like three buttons to care about. Plus, it's really fun to swing your arms around when playing Wii Sports (and my little Mii character looks just like me!)

However, I was playing Super Mario Bros. (NES) on the Wii, and there are a few bugs in it. I got stuck in midair and couldn't move, therefore ending my game basically. But I am optimistic about the Wii, and I love seeing someone take an approach to gaming that's not "What's the fattest, most powerful chip we can stick in here?" It's just a real breath of fresh air.
Awesome avatar done by Nervous Spy

TheSuburbanLetdown

You have a Wii!? Give it to me or I'll do things to you! Wondrous, strange..... tihngs.

Actually I'm going to wait till Smash Bros. Brawl comes out. Then I'll get my Zelda on again since I'm almost done with the GC version. Plus I can't even get one yet.

JTigerclaw
Cartoon Hero

Post by JTigerclaw »

Things eh? Hmmm... depends on what things you speak of... >,>

Actually it's my roommate's, but I am allowed to play it if I want, which I don't really have time for most of the time. The only Wii game he has is Zelda, which I've already watched enough of my two roommates taking turns playing that I've gotten my Zelda fix out of the way. Wii Sports though is really cool, as is being able to play old games. Bowling is particularly fun because I can swing my arm as hard as I can, and that is always fun.

I'm anxious to play the New Mario Galaxy game though. That will be a very joyous occasion. In fact, I'd have to celebrate it... by playing it more.
Awesome avatar done by Nervous Spy

Gildedtongue
Regular Poster

Post by Gildedtongue »

I'm still having issues getting my router to allow my Wii to access the 'net.

Want to get that done before Brawl comes out so I can play online.

And, yes, the system is made for fun rather than OMG grafx woo! And it is fun to play Zelda and the like.

Whatupwidat
Regular Poster

Post by Whatupwidat »

My favourite types of games are FPS, Driving, and RTS games...I just don't think the Wii is for Mii, so to speak in an oversimplified way.

TheSuburbanLetdown

Makes sense. Nintendo seems to be going after a completely different market with this one. Though I wonder what a FPS would be like with the Wiimote. I guess we'll find out at some point.

Gildedtongue
Regular Poster

Post by Gildedtongue »

theSuburbanLetdown wrote:Makes sense. Nintendo seems to be going after a completely different market with this one. Though I wonder what a FPS would be like with the Wiimote. I guess we'll find out at some point.
Metroid Prime?

And to a lesser extent Red Steel, but...

TheSuburbanLetdown

There's been some debate as to whether Metroid could be considered a FPS. It's in the first person, but isn't really like a first person shooter other than that. It's essentially Metroid in 3D.

Col
Cartoon Villain

Post by Col »

Hate to break it to you, but Metroid's an FPS. Except when you're a ball.