Severed Ties ------->The current arc

The happening place to be. Unless you go somewhere else that's more stimulating.
Col
Cartoon Villain

Post by Col »

In terms of flowing to the next page, it probably would be better to stay there. In terms of the page by itself, Evan saying he tries to keep that to himself is a good beat to end on, and the "why is that?" feels tacked on with the word balloon pointing off panel. It's a moment where Evan's letting something personal out, and you're showing just him in the panel, so the "why is that" feels like an invasion of that moment. If that's what you're going for, cool.

It's up to you what you do. Maybe I wouldn't have thought of that if I hadn't seen the rough draft. See what other people think.

TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

I just got rid of it. I decided it'll be better to just add another panel. The thumbnails usually change around anyway when I get around to drawing the final page.

Never Mayhem
Regular Poster
Location: Hell, in the vestibule, instantly regreting everything

Post by Never Mayhem »

Ah, so it's his diet. Makes sense, to me anyway. Vitals sustain us in so many ways and all that. Even the more controversial stuff like sodium and sugar are needed for certain functions within the bizzle. Evan should start eating raw oysters. Friggin' gross... or he should just eat in general, sans the oysters.

I suspected that Evan came from money, judging by how his parents' house looked and you can sort of figure someone's not in terrible financial trouble if their parents are putting them through college. Lots of students aren't taken care of and they come out in massive debt, but Li never gave off that impression to me... whatever that impression would be... now Maynard, on the other hand... or how many of these guys are wealthy elderly teenagers? That I'd be curious about now.

Still love the attention to detail, the comic in general. T-shirts or keychains need to follow... or a cartoon! I think some of you were discussing that earlier, like who would do the voices. Weekly episodes on Adult Swim and 1:30 a.m. Maynard stalking Morrissey, Teri drinking in the tub, Ryan being a purist in the bathroom... I'd love it so hard.
"I cannot read the Bible in the dark."

TheSuburbanLetdown

Speaking of food, I'm freakin' cold as hell.

What made it seem like he isn't financially destitute?

Some of these characters are based on real people, so I know how their voices would sound. I have a feeling that it would throw people off, as Evan would have the deepest voice out of all the characters. If I ever figure out how to do sound files, I guess I could post some voice samples.

There are a few shirts, but I made those by myself with iron-ons and not many people have one. I think it'd be cool to make a wallpaper kind of thing though.

Never Mayhem
Regular Poster

Post by Never Mayhem »

He fights a lot of battles, some entirely in his head. One inner conflict could be against his... lineage, as is a common source of angst for seemingly dissatisfied, strong willed characters, especially in stories like this. He's a rebel, but a grudgingly logical one that wouldn't altogether dismiss the idea of receiving financial aid. Maybe you could consider him a wee bit of a poser in this regard. I mean, I used to wear some pretty grubby clothes when I was young, though I lived in a house with a U shaped driveway and two massive gates. We search for our identities when we get older, but we also inexorably emulate certain things we've been exposed to, if we find them more complimenting to our self-image. Eventually we become a mishmash of experiences and impressions... er, but I think I’m sounding assuming now, or Freudian, two things I'm loath to overly indulge.

Samples of their voices would be very cool, plus I'd really like to buy a shirt, if they're ever made available.

TheSuburbanLetdown

He has a lot of issues, but is certainly no poser.

Bloodied Fox
Regular Poster

Post by Bloodied Fox »

It's my experience that everyone has a lot of issues, or at least anyone worth knowing :)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...

TheSuburbanLetdown

The issues are what makes us who we are. Anyone that says they don't have any problems is a fucking liar or was taught never to show emotion (weakness). Or they're a robot that was programmed to be all hunky dory.

Paul Escobar
Cartoon Hero

Post by Paul Escobar »

Everyone has issues, but I wouldn't say they are what makes us who we are. The issues definitely count, but the parts of us that work more or less flawlessly are also essential to our personalities. If a person had nothing but issues, he wouldn't be able to function. Granted, there are people like that.

More importantly, you can deal with your issues. And you damn well better, nothing is more annoying than people who refuse to deal with a problem. It can be done. I know people who have worked hard at their hang-ups and have become completely, honestly at peace with themselves and totally chillaxed.

I've worked quite a bit with my issues, and have in a few years gone from being a neurotic ball of insecurity to being self-confident. Not perfectly so, but certainly much better than before. I still have a terrible anger management issue, though...

Speaking of issues, Ted is a very sweet and patient guy for putting up with Evan's grumpiness. I'm looking forward to Evan getting some food and hopefully becoming a wee bit less negative.

TheSuburbanLetdown

Ah, anger management, ha ha. I have no idea what that even means. I'm the calmest mother fucker on the planet! It's like I'm totally fine right now! A- HA HA HA HA!!!!!! I'm so happy I could go eat the egg salad from the vending machine downstairs.

Anyway, yeah. I like Ted. He seems to know how to deal with Evan and his crap, unlike the other characters. I'm actually surprised with the way this scene played out.

Never Mayhem
Regular Poster

Post by Never Mayhem »

Haha... oh man, that tested my limits... the whole wicked dump thing gave me pause. I fear not even Evan could make that sound hot.

I didn't mean to cause trouble with my comment. If I did, I apologize... I've been wondering what Li's father will say to him face to face about all this, or his mother. Will they set him straight? Or will them trying to help only irritate him? And Ryan... they still haven't talked to each other since Evan left in a huff.

TheSuburbanLetdown

I'm not quite sure what his parents will say either. I need to solidify what exactly I want to happen pretty soon. The story is planned out, but dialogue is kept pretty general.

Taking a dump is never hot unless you happen to be a senator.

JTigerclaw
Cartoon Hero

Post by JTigerclaw »

LOL....."I gotta take a wicked dump".

You so would have said that.... and have said that, in person. It's like THE quintessential Evan quote. :D
Awesome avatar done by Nervous Spy

TheSuburbanLetdown

Nothing derails a conversation like the blinding, disgusting truth.

Bloodied Fox
Regular Poster

Post by Bloodied Fox »

Paul Escobar wrote:More importantly, you can deal with your issues. And you damn well better, nothing is more annoying than people who refuse to deal with a problem. It can be done. I know people who have worked hard at their hang-ups and have become completely, honestly at peace with themselves and totally chillaxed.

I've worked quite a bit with my issues, and have in a few years gone from being a neurotic ball of insecurity to being self-confident. Not perfectly so, but certainly much better than before. I still have a terrible anger management issue, though...
Oddly, I think my temper's actually gotten worse since I've started to cope with my depression and guilt issues. Probably something to do with increased self confidence
theSuburbanLetdown wrote:Nothing derails a conversation like the blinding, disgusting truth.
And that is why the phrase "I need to go to the bathroom" was invented. Vague it up, baby :D
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...

Hungrywolf
Regular Poster
Location: Living the sweet life out in Southern California's beautiful San Fernando Valley!

Post by Hungrywolf »

Usually I try to avoid truth as much as possible, or far as my legs can take me.
JTigerclaw wrote:LOL....."I gotta take a wicked dump".
Indeed fine sir.

TheSuburbanLetdown

I remember riding my bike really fast once, but I still couldn't escape from everything, no matter how fast I went.
Bloodied Fox wrote:
Paul Escobar wrote:More importantly, you can deal with your issues. And you damn well better, nothing is more annoying than people who refuse to deal with a problem. It can be done. I know people who have worked hard at their hang-ups and have become completely, honestly at peace with themselves and totally chillaxed.

Oddly, I think my temper's actually gotten worse since I've started to cope with my depression and guilt issues. Probably something to do with increased self confidence.
I used to be really shy, but then I gained a lot of confindence when I lost a ton of weight. Then I became more assertive, then arrogant, then angry. I remember when I used to be fun. I also have my father's impatience and temper; however, I didn't get any of his intelligence.

JTigerclaw
Cartoon Hero

Post by JTigerclaw »

Did your father like to de-pants innocent plushies against their will?

(I swear that inside joke will never die as long as I can help it)
Awesome avatar done by Nervous Spy

TheSuburbanLetdown

Heh, I dunno. I often wonder what he was like when he was my age. He's kind of funny in a deadpan kinda way. I guess I'm like that too. Though I gesticulate a lot with my limbs. He also had a Vespa.
JTigerclaw wrote:Did your father like to de-pants innocent plushies against their will?

Heh, yeah. That was funny!

Hungrywolf
Regular Poster
Location: Living the sweet life out in Southern California's beautiful San Fernando Valley!

Post by Hungrywolf »

theSuburbanLetdown wrote:I also have my father's impatience and temper; however, I didn't get any of his intelligence.
Hmm, yeah I think I received my impatience and temper from my father too. And boy can he ever be impatient and short fused. But the difference I would say between me and him is, I tend to keep those emotions suppressed while he's the complete opposite.

And as to what he was like at my age. I haven't the single thought. Maybe the same as me. It wouldn't surprise me.

JTigerclaw wrote:Did your father like to de-pants innocent plushies against their will?

Hmm? >,> *Shrugs*