crummy update schedule

The happening place to be. Unless you go somewhere else that's more stimulating.
Post Reply
User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

crummy update schedule

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

If anyone's wondering why my update schedule sucks, it's because one of my goals is to get this story printed at some point, so I want the pages to look as good as they can possibly be. If I were just doing this for the web only, I'd update more often and lower the quality a bit.

Having said that, I'm toying with the idea of going back to 2 days a week. The story is just moving too slowly this way and I'm getting impatient and losing interest, as I'm sure you all are too. In the interest of story, I may post penciled pages on occasion. I'd rather not, but if it moves the story along, I'll do it. Any thoughts, let me know.

Though I was on vacation this past few weeks, so I actually have an excuse for that.
Image

User avatar
Never Mayhem
Regular Poster
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:56 pm
Location: Hell, in the vestibule, instantly regreting everything

Post by Never Mayhem »

I'm not losing interest in the story, but I don't ask for more updates because I figured you were busy or you're taking your time with it. I love TEoT, but whatever you want to do with it, go for it. It's your comic, nigga!
"I cannot read the Bible in the dark."

Gildedtongue
Regular Poster
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:26 pm
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Contact:

Post by Gildedtongue »

Well, you should know your forumites, PAL, we'll be reading the comic irreguardless of the updating schedule and loving every scrap we get.

Your pencil updates are usually very well recieved (I dunno, something about the penciled look actually fits the comic), so, yeah, you could update as such.

But, up to you, really. We'll be here!

User avatar
Karl Falcon
Regular Poster
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:57 am
Location: The cold, white- er.. sunny, green Northeast PA

Post by Karl Falcon »

I don't personally see anything wrong with the weekly schedule, and I love getting to see the works in progress. If you feel twice-weekly updates are the way to go, then all the better for us readers. Whatever you decide, rest assured we'll still be here.

User avatar
Bloodied Fox
Regular Poster
Posts: 705
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:24 am
Location: Jolly Old England

Post by Bloodied Fox »

What they all said :wink:
Image
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...

User avatar
JTigerclaw
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1844
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:33 am
Location: Continuing the hearty tradition of pwnage.
Contact:

Post by JTigerclaw »

Dude, take it from a guy who can barely update once a week (and still have something resembling "an outside life"), if you want to update twice a week, that's coo, but if you are going for superior quality, then you be very busy with it. If you think you have enough free time to do it, then go for it, but beware the burnout, because that feeling can easily kill a few weeks of updates (or make you hate doing it).

I'm going to try for two times a week soon too, but like you said, being on vacation doesn't really allow for that too well. Eh I guess try it, but don't sacrifice quality to be on time. It's not worth it.
Image
Awesome avatar done by Nervous Spy

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

My current page was rushed do to work and wanting to move the story along. I think it shows.
Image

User avatar
Paul Escobar
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1024
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: State of Flux

Post by Paul Escobar »

PeppermintAfterlife wrote:My current page was rushed do to work and wanting to move the story along. I think it shows.
I think it works very well. There's no need for detailed backgrounds or clever layouts or top notch drawing craftmanship on every page. Sometimes, a story will get you those pages where someone is simply talking, and all you need is their facial expressions and body language, and that works really good on that page. The by now current page does look more visually impressive, but IMO one really does need to switch between the "impressive" bits and those that "only" function to move the story along. I guess knowing when to do what is very much a matter of instinct - at least I have difficulty pointing out why that frame needs to look like a visual masterpiece while this frame doesn't. I just know that the individual frames in a comic don't always need to look super spiffic - it's the flow that counts. The sum of the parts. And you do that very well indeed. I'd say don't worry about it, but that'd be silly, for worrying about the quality of their work is what creative people do every so often. :wink:

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

That is true, as not every page needs to be super awesome. I notice even in this like Bone that there are pages that are rather dull, but the dialogue moves the story along. But at the same time, my comic format is one page a week, so I always feel the need to showcase my abilities to the highest degree since a so-so page may be up for a week and many may dismiss it as being of poor quality. But then again maybe I shouldn't worry too much about that since I see so many comics that are poorly drawn garner huge readerships.

I'm thinking of starting to pencil as many pages as I can with no thought of inking till a day or so till they have to go up. That way I can think of the story as a whole instead of a page by page type of thing. Currently, I do an entire page on its own with not too much thought of what's going to be on the next page. I simply follow an outline and decide what goes on a given page when I get to it.

Maybe I should do 2 a week. At this rate, it'll take years before the story is done.
Paul Escobar wrote:I just know that the individual frames in a comic don't always need to look super spiffic - it's the flow that counts. The sum of the parts. And you do that very well indeed.
Heh, thanks.
Image

Gildedtongue
Regular Poster
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:26 pm
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Contact:

Post by Gildedtongue »

Meh, look at Circles. There's minimalist backgrounds for you, and they charge bucks a pop for that.

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

I love Circles. But just think how much cooler it would be if there were more backgrounds. They become almost non-existent later on, and I still don't really have a good idea of what their apartment looks like.
Image

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Twice a week may be happenning soon. I'll amke a formal announcement if I'm up to it.
Image

User avatar
JTigerclaw
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1844
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:33 am
Location: Continuing the hearty tradition of pwnage.
Contact:

Post by JTigerclaw »

Werd to that. I will be subjecting myself to that very same fate. :P

:holds up a glass of bubbly: A toast to twice a week. May our lives be filled with one more deadline per week. :clinks and downs it all:
Image
Awesome avatar done by Nervous Spy

User avatar
Never Mayhem
Regular Poster
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:56 pm
Location: Hell, in the vestibule, instantly regreting everything

Post by Never Mayhem »

Excellent! And Ryan playing Gadius is better than anything Fig's ever done.
"I cannot read the Bible in the dark."

Post Reply