What makes UG Ugly?

A cool place to be totally lame.

What makes UG Ugly?

Postby Solitas on Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:27 pm

If this has already been covered, I apologize.

I think I have figured it out.

Most people in the UG universe has a symbol and an 0 for eyes. Example: Sister Person, Queer Boy. Some have matching symbols. Example: Fat Boy, Tilde's brother, and the annoying chick with no name.

UG is the only one with two asymmetrical symbols.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this is what makes her "ugly".
Solitas
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:20 pm

Postby Nanda on Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:26 am

Behold, the power of observation. :lol:
Image Image
User avatar
Nanda
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 4268
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:06 am
Location: Peeking out of the closet.

Re: What makes UG Ugly?

Postby Atillathebun on Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:30 pm

solitas wrote:If this has already been covered, I apologize.

I think I have figured it out.

Most people in the UG universe has a symbol and an 0 for eyes. Example: Sister Person, Queer Boy. Some have matching symbols. Example: Fat Boy, Tilde's brother, and the annoying chick with no name.

UG is the only one with two asymmetrical symbols.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this is what makes her "ugly".


So then Ugly Girl is only ugly because she fails to adhere to the usual standard of beauty set fourth by her peers.
User avatar
Atillathebun
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 5:36 am

Re: What makes UG Ugly?

Postby Fecundity on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:54 pm

atillathebun wrote:So then Ugly Girl is only ugly because she fails to adhere to the usual standard of beauty set fourth by her peers.


Perhaps this just boils down to the obvious formulation: She is 'ugly' because her looks rank vary low on the standard of 'beauty'.

I suspect, however, that the moniker has nothing at all to do with how she looks now. She is called that because she picked it up as a name years ago. This is the sort of name that people have in her world.

It makes me wonder if Queer Boy got his name before or after he came out of the closet.
Image
User avatar
Fecundity
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:42 am

Postby Atillathebun on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:03 am

Nah it's obvious it isn't, given the fact that all of the characters are labeled based on their particular high school stigma. Of course, you're then left to wonder why the girl with no name has no name.
User avatar
Atillathebun
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 5:36 am

Postby Nanda on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:22 am

atillathebun wrote:Of course, you're then left to wonder why the girl with no name has no name.


Because she doesn't need one, and by not naming her, she can embody every horrible monster bitch that ever picked on anyone else.
Image Image
User avatar
Nanda
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 4268
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:06 am
Location: Peeking out of the closet.

Postby Peaches on Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:07 pm

I wasn't sure about that theory, but I suppose UG is more assymetrical than others. Cynical, has an oval and an X, but UG has an X and a spiral.

I've been wondering myself, since I think she's kind of cute for a stick figure.
Image
User avatar
Peaches
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:10 am
Location: On a boat on a river

why is ug ugly?

Postby Missurly on Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:58 pm

I think it's because of her attitude. The way she looks down on everyone and can't accept compliments or friendships.
Missurly
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:54 pm

Re: why is ug ugly?

Postby Nanda on Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:05 am

missurly wrote:I think it's because of her attitude. The way she looks down on everyone and can't accept compliments or friendships.


XD Looks like someone's sore about Fatboy. Despite current events, I don't agree with this theory. She made friends with Spaz easily enough, and not being able to accept compliments and love is a fairly common result of being emotionally abused over long periods of time. The only person we've ever seen her be outright hostile to is Fatboy, and I think that's because he, and what he offers, unnerves her - it goes against everything she's been conditioned to believe about herself. And, if you recall, from her pov, he's basically stalking her, and the last time they spoke, she told him not to speak to her anymore. Whether her feelings are justified or not, he must have known he was going into hostile territory, but he's as stubborn as she is.
Image Image
User avatar
Nanda
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 4268
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:06 am
Location: Peeking out of the closet.

...

Postby 011010110 on Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:49 am

This is going to sound a little high-toned and hoity-toity, but here goes:

We may say that there is something wrong with people who pursue physical attraction rather than intellectual or spiritual intimacy, but that doesn't mean that physical attraction can be dismissed as a qualification for intimacy.

Most people would be offended to learn that they were excluded from consideration for a job or an award based solely on their physical features, but outward beauty is a legitimate and defensible requirement for: receptionists, tour guides, salespersons, models, actors and actresses, pageant contestants, on-air news correspondents--anyone who approaches or is approached by the "target audience or demographic".

I see nothing wrong with UG saying, "I find you completely unattractive, and even though years of interaction might prove me wrong, I am not willing to invest those years on such a long-odds gamble, especially since you blew your opportunity for a first impression."

If UG was a manager, I wouldn't expect her to hire him. Why do we expect her to sacrifice opportunities for intimacy (even the brief ones, like sitting with friends at lunch) for someone who has failed the initial interview?
No, YOU shut up!
User avatar
011010110
Newbie
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:15 am

...

Postby 011010110 on Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:50 am

Sorry, that was kind of a rant. Should we re-set? Uhh...I like...pocky.
No, YOU shut up!
User avatar
011010110
Newbie
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:15 am

Postby Nanda on Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:17 am

Well, perhaps, but I'm not so sure it's his looks she has a problem with. All told, I think he just makes her uncomfortable.

Would it help if I told you guys that Fatboy is my favorite character? :)
Image Image
User avatar
Nanda
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 4268
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:06 am
Location: Peeking out of the closet.

Re: why is ug ugly?

Postby Missurly on Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:29 am

Nanda wrote:
missurly wrote:I think it's because of her attitude. The way she looks down on everyone and can't accept compliments or friendships.


XD Looks like someone's sore about Fatboy. Despite current events, I don't agree with this theory. She made friends with Spaz easily enough, and not being able to accept compliments and love is a fairly common result of being emotionally abused over long periods of time. The only person we've ever seen her be outright hostile to is Fatboy, and I think that's because he, and what he offers, unnerves her - it goes against everything she's been conditioned to believe about herself. And, if you recall, from her pov, he's basically stalking her, and the last time they spoke, she told him not to speak to her anymore. Whether her feelings are justified or not, he must have known he was going into hostile territory, but he's as stubborn as she is.


No, it's not just that. It's also that she says she has no friends, and that sister person is just her brother's girlfriend. I hate that. It is also about being so mean in hypocritical to Fatboy. And telling Queerboy that his opinion doesn't matter because he's gay. He's not blind! I just hate that she doesnt care about anyone but herself. I love Spaz, Sister Person, and Queerboy though.
Missurly
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:54 pm

Postby Nanda on Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:38 am

That's valid. She was never meant to be a "loveable" character. That so many people seem to find her loveable anyway was always a bit surprising to me. It's highschool. Most of us were pretty self-absorbed. Though I still insist that her current attitude is a direct result of the cruelty she's suffered at the hands of her classmates. It's made her cynical, stand-offish, mistrusting, paranoid and self-loathing - She was not always this way. Can we really be surprised that she keeps people at an arm's length?
Image Image
User avatar
Nanda
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 4268
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:06 am
Location: Peeking out of the closet.

Postby Missurly on Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:08 am

Nanda wrote:That's valid. She was never meant to be a "loveable" character. That so many people seem to find her loveable anyway was always a bit surprising to me. It's highschool. Most of us were pretty self-absorbed. Though I still insist that her current attitude is a direct result of the cruelty she's suffered at the hands of her classmates. It's made her cynical, stand-offish, mistrusting, paranoid and self-loathing - She was not always this way. Can we really be surprised that she keeps people at an arm's length?


That's true, but its still so frustrating from this side! You just want her to let people get close so bad but she doesn't. She did make friends with Spaz very quickly though. So...thats good :)
Missurly
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:54 pm

Postby Yeahduff on Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:14 pm

I find Ugly Girl loveable probably because she's not supposed to be.
Image
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
User avatar
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)
 
Posts: 9092
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: I jumped into your grave and died.

I feel guilty for thread resurrection. T__T

Postby Jesusabdullah on Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:22 pm

solitas wrote:If this has already been covered, I apologize.

I think I have figured it out.

Most people in the UG universe has a symbol and an 0 for eyes. Example: Sister Person, Queer Boy. Some have matching symbols. Example: Fat Boy, Tilde's brother, and the annoying chick with no name.

UG is the only one with two asymmetrical symbols.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this is what makes her "ugly".


Well! My mind is officially blown. o_O*

* x_@ ?
User avatar
Jesusabdullah
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1993
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:11 pm
Location: The Frigid Northern Wastes.

Re: What makes UG Ugly?

Postby Nanda on Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:13 am

Don't feel guilty, it's really great to have a new post! :lol:
Image Image
User avatar
Nanda
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 4268
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:06 am
Location: Peeking out of the closet.

Re: What makes UG Ugly?

Postby Alecks on Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:33 pm

I kinda always thought UG was ugly only cuz everyone said she was. You know, perception and how it's colored by opinion and stuff. The outcasts of the school are less susceptible to groupthink, and so FB and QB think that UG is cute, cuz they don't buy into their fellow students' BS.
Alecks
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 7:18 pm

Re: What makes UG Ugly?

Postby Nanda on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:04 am

Alecks wrote:I kinda always thought UG was ugly only cuz everyone said she was. You know, perception and how it's colored by opinion and stuff. The outcasts of the school are less susceptible to groupthink, and so FB and QB think that UG is cute, cuz they don't buy into their fellow students' BS.


That sounds about right. :)
Image Image
User avatar
Nanda
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 4268
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:06 am
Location: Peeking out of the closet.


 

Return to Ugly Girl



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest