Daily Strip Discussion

PatchworkEveryone's a hero in their own forums. And in their favorite forums. Alright, fine, maybe just in this forum. Shush.
Artificer-urza
Regular Poster

Post by Artificer-urza »

Hmmm... the sixties, huh? That would make him almost 60 years old himself. Unless he pulled a captain america and was frozen or something for a lot of that time.
Check out my wbecomic, Starlight Chronicles: http://starlight-chronicles.smackjeeves.com/

Artificer-urza
Regular Poster

Post by Artificer-urza »

Another thing, I'm sure someone else has thought of this as well, maybe Uberlad and Lucky Ladd are related? Maybe not, either way Lucky seems to know Dudeman quite well.
Check out my wbecomic, Starlight Chronicles: http://starlight-chronicles.smackjeeves.com/

Kasaii
Regular Poster

Post by Kasaii »

Good catch, Urza!

Yes indeed, Dudeman is over sixty (he aged very well. ;) ), and Uberlad does indeed have a family connection to Lucky. Exactly what that is will be revealed at a later date, but the forum gets to know first.
"Consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds."
Patchwork Champions. Note to self: You cannot read by laserlight.

Artificer-urza
Regular Poster

Post by Artificer-urza »

So, months or years, huh? Is that the literal time it will take to tell it?

Kasaii
Regular Poster

Post by Kasaii »

artificer-urza wrote:So, months or years, huh? Is that the literal time it will take to tell it?
More of a poke at superhero comics and origin stories. ;) Who knows how long it will take for this story to be told? (I certainly don't, at least not in straight date terms. It's not like any of my storylines actually hold to the timelines I envision.)

Tinkerbell
Regular Poster

Post by Tinkerbell »

Damn, cryptic on the forums, ominous in the comic. Wish I could do that...

I like the ominous. Ominous=good.

Tink

Siress Commander Tinkerbell Nickmaker, the Pokingfu Knight, of the Order of Tinkinators!

... much ph34¬

Juron Pilo
Regular Poster

Post by Juron Pilo »

Yep! No crossed lines here! NONE AT ALL :lol:.

Just shoot first and have the trial later am I right? Heh.

Tinkerbell
Regular Poster

Post by Tinkerbell »

Seems you were right, Ju. Equally, yay for Lucky. It *was* self-defence against an armed and dangerous criminal...

Tink

Siress Commander Tinkerbell Nickmaker, the Pokingfu Knight, of the Order of Tinkinators!

... much ph34¬

GG Crono
Regular Poster

Post by GG Crono »

...yeep. Didn't see THAT coming.
Bugrit...millennium hand and shrimp...

Kasaii
Regular Poster

Post by Kasaii »

I didn't think anyone would. :twisted:

Rest assured, while there aren't likely to be legal reprecussions (Lockdown is a demonstrable "shoot to kill" threat, and Lucky doesn't have the training to go for a wounding shot and reasonably hit while his powers are surpressed) there will be personal ones. In and around a more silly arc coming up, because this one was pretty heavy.

Juron Pilo
Regular Poster

Post by Juron Pilo »

I was uh, talking about Lockdown :roll: .

Kasaii
Regular Poster

Post by Kasaii »

Juron Pilo wrote:I was uh, talking about Lockdown :roll: .
I was more replying to Tinkerbell and Crono, but yeah, that too.

The Antiheroes - take one rational theory, extend to insanity, and serve half-baked.

Tinkerbell
Regular Poster

Post by Tinkerbell »

Well, actually...

*begin philosophy undergrad tract*
I've studied a bit of ethics and you'd be surprised how rigidly logical vigilanteism and extremism are. They tend to be the most ethically consistent people around. It's not really half-baked... it's like... I dunno, anyone play piano? You know those warm-up exercises your teacher gets/got you to do? It's like being really really good at them, so that you can play every single one absolutely perfectly. Thing is, you can be the most precise pianist in the world and it still won't sound like music unless you understand music. It's not that these people haven't thought enough (well, some of them haven't - some of them are just nuts), it's more that they've thought too carefully, or in too much isolation from reality. The problem is not their logic or rationality, it's the fact that human beings are capable of far more logic and rationality than the rest of reality, and so we tend to blindside ourselves from time to time.

I'm not condoning extremism or vigilanteism (even if I am a hardliner on criminal justice). I'm just saying it's important not to dismiss them off-hand as entirely crackpot.

See, this is why a little philosophy is a very dangerous thing...
*end philosophy undergrad tract*

Hope I haven't offended anyone,

Just a thought,

Tink

... much ph34¬

Artificer-urza
Regular Poster

Post by Artificer-urza »

I think I know what it means, but just to clarify, what is 'pseudotech'?

Juron Pilo
Regular Poster

Post by Juron Pilo »

Tinkerbell wrote:Well, actually...

*begin philosophy undergrad tract*
I've studied a bit of ethics and you'd be surprised how rigidly logical vigilanteism and extremism are. They tend to be the most ethically consistent people around. It's not really half-baked... it's like... I dunno, anyone play piano? You know those warm-up exercises your teacher gets/got you to do? It's like being really really good at them, so that you can play every single one absolutely perfectly. Thing is, you can be the most precise pianist in the world and it still won't sound like music unless you understand music. It's not that these people haven't thought enough (well, some of them haven't - some of them are just nuts), it's more that they've thought too carefully, or in too much isolation from reality. The problem is not their logic or rationality, it's the fact that human beings are capable of far more logic and rationality than the rest of reality, and so we tend to blindside ourselves from time to time.

I'm not condoning extremism or vigilanteism (even if I am a hardliner on criminal justice). I'm just saying it's important not to dismiss them off-hand as entirely crackpot.

See, this is why a little philosophy is a very dangerous thing...
*end philosophy undergrad tract*

Hope I haven't offended anyone,

Just a thought,

Tink
What about the hypocritical part of it. Whats the logical arument that counters the point that they themselves are a threat, and have no basis to consider themselves a superior enforcer of justice. Thats a point that kills alot of philosophys anyways. In theory, a vigilante should end up going after themselves, but blah.

Kasaii
Regular Poster

Post by Kasaii »

Juron Pilo wrote: What about the hypocritical part of it. Whats the logical arument that counters the point that they themselves are a threat, and have no basis to consider themselves a superior enforcer of justice. Thats a point that kills alot of philosophys anyways. In theory, a vigilante should end up going after themselves, but blah.
Ah, that's where it gets messy.

Here's the problem. The ends do not justify the means, but they do mitigate them.

For example: Killing is wrong. I think we can all agree on this.

However, it is not wrong to kill someone in self-defense.
If someone is infected with a terrible, infectious disease, and are going to spread it to the whole country, is it wrong to kill them?

Fanatics take this theory and warp it, often. The damage that Group A can cause is greater than the collateral damage required to stop Group A. Therefore, any means necessary to stop Group A are acceptable. Not happy, but acceptable.

In the case of the Antiheroes, Group A is qualified as "The Villains". In order to save current and future generations from villainous rule, any casualties are acceptable.

Juron Pilo
Regular Poster

Post by Juron Pilo »

But that begs the question: What are they going to put in place of the current government that isn't going to do as much harm? They're going after public officials. HOW are they any better or doing anything different from villains. They essentially want to replace the current government with themselves, just like the villains.

edit: I'm saying their ends and means are EXACTLY THE SAME as the logic that drives villains.

Artificer-urza
Regular Poster

Post by Artificer-urza »

In their minds they are better than the villains. They aren't replacing the government with themselves, they are removing the current government from power, no one said they were doing more than that. And I'd still like a definition for 'pseudotech' please.

Kasaii
Regular Poster

Post by Kasaii »

Sorry, forgot to add that.

Pseudotech: Technology that does not work according to actual science. It usually functions only for the people who build it (although occasionally specific pieces of pseudoscience can be used by anyone) and is difficult, if not impossible, to reproduce.

Exactly why pseudoscience works is unknown, but only supers can create it (there are people, such as Dr. Ecchs, whose only 'super power' is the ability to create pseudoscience).

Lockdown's ability to stop super-powers from functioning around her extends to all forms of pseudoscience, hence why Mayfly's armor failed to fly near her.

Juron Pilo
Regular Poster

Post by Juron Pilo »

But if you look at the general concept, its no different from the one villains use. Well, the non-silly non-traditional ones anyways. Whether they think they are being logical or ethical or not has nothing to do with their actual logic, which is what we were arguing over :P. I'd even go so far as to say Lockdown deserves the villain marker more than Ecchs.

Anyways, sorry, minor tangent, but that argument always bothers me.