Daily Strip Discussion

PatchworkEveryone's a hero in their own forums. And in their favorite forums. Alright, fine, maybe just in this forum. Shush.
Juron Pilo
Regular Poster

Post by Juron Pilo »

So um, quick question. I know you can't use a reality distortion device to like autowin, but wouldn't one make it really easy to invent stuff? Just come up with your idea, then zap yourself so you invented it last week. So many cheap opportunities...

Kasaii
Regular Poster

Post by Kasaii »

Juron Pilo wrote:So um, quick question. I know you can't use a reality distortion device to like autowin, but wouldn't one make it really easy to invent stuff? Just come up with your idea, then zap yourself so you invented it last week. So many cheap opportunities...
Potentially? Yes. However, messing with reality is... well, kind of dangerous.

It might turn out you had to reach pretty far to make that change. It might be that some other change got made too, that you don't know about. After all, if you spent a week building that device, what weren't you doing?
"Consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds."
Patchwork Champions. Note to self: You cannot read by laserlight.

Xero
Cartoon Hero

Post by Xero »

I am giving the strip a +10 in my books today for the no rest for the wicked plug

also dad is wicked cool, and here I thought he was just a douche :D
Platinumyo wrote:Can someone unban me?

Jotun

Post by Jotun »

=O
He died?
=( I was hoping to see more of him. I think he was my favorite of the Justicars.

Kasaii
Regular Poster

Post by Kasaii »

Well, there may always be other flashbacks to before Magister's death, but yeah, that was where he vanished to. The grave.

I will take it as a compliment, though - I'm glad he was likeable.

Artard

Post by Artard »

Hey, long time reader, first time poster. I made an account just to post.
By the way, loving the prequel comics.
I liked Judgement from the first moment I saw him in, never realized he used to be the all-american-man, but that only makes him cooler.
Who is the long haired, blonde girl in the recent comics?
Wasn't Knightshine originally called Knightstar?
Thanks for making such a great comic.

And there are 2 other comics of yours on cg, are they in the same continuity as patchwork champions?

Juron Pilo
Regular Poster

Post by Juron Pilo »

Mayfly's reaction was GREAT! That was perfect.

Juron Pilo
Regular Poster

Post by Juron Pilo »

Hey Friv, still here.

Honestly I'm biting my tounge both because of the content of the current arc(I'm atheist and adopted).

Also if I speak, I woln't be able to resist saying that I'm still having difficulty with the art. Script is getting better and better though.

OOTS hath spoiled me too much. :P
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript

I'd write in your wiki, honest, its just that despite being fairly talented at it writing causes me alot of aggrivation. I'm known to spontaneously take things up without warning, much like Squidi, so I may get to it sooner or later. Plus I'd have to create some characters, and if theres any process I hate its creating characters. Starting on anything always being my biggest problem though. Meh.

Anyways, I may be adopted, but I knew about it(even if I don't know my parents). Plus I had no siblings. Interesting hypothetical scenario for me.

Weeee. :P

Invinible

Post by Invinible »

Alright! Who is that acting like he is Dr. Idiot (Dr. Ecchi) since that the true Dr. Idiot would never retort to killing?

Kasaii
Regular Poster

Re: Daily Strip Discussion

Post by Kasaii »

Alright, after several months I am back on the forum. Apologies for the lack of appearances, and it won't happen again any time soon. :)

Artard: If you're still around, having patiently waited for five months...

The Blond - I'm not sure which one you were referring to, to be honest. The person standing behind Dudeman and Eric [urlhttp://yeti.comicgenesis.com/d/20071121.html]in this comic[/url] is who I think you mean; that's just a nameless hero.
Knightshine was the victim of me not writing his name down. The new name has stuck; I need to go find any older renditions of his name and remove them.
My older comics were not part of this continuity, no; they were a fantasy setting I'd built. You can still find them by force-juryrigging the archives. ;)

Juron: Yeah, I'm not that happy with the art a lot of the time, either. But I'm not likely to find an artist any time soon (I actually asked a couple of my artist friends if they were interested, but they were not). And yeah, OOTS spoils everyone. ;)

Invinible: Ecchs isn't really threatening to kill Josh, just to maim him. In a friendly sort of way. He is a villain, he has to threaten people sometimes. ;)

Juron Pilo
Regular Poster

Post by Juron Pilo »

Given the side by side comparison I TOTALLY prefer the sprites. XD

And you keep bouncing from one series to another, not that theres any problem with that. :P

Jotun

Post by Jotun »

What a brilliant plot, with this new scheme the antiheroes are sure to fail.

Juron Pilo
Regular Poster

Post by Juron Pilo »

So now she's genre savvy?

Kasaii
Regular Poster

Post by Kasaii »

Well, she was studying dramatology...

This is more her recognizing a straight line when she hears it, though. Ecchs really wanted someone to use that "you and what army" line. Hell, if I had an army, I'd want them to use it, too. ;)

Jotun

Post by Jotun »

Oh my, a week since the last Update.
I'm scared and my life has no direction =(

Jotun

Post by Jotun »

You have fantastic ideas and come up with excellent plots, you have a clear understanding of complex characters, and near as I can tell you'd be a great writer. Especially with Champions, the story structure on a whole has been phenomenal.

I'm not sure if that will translate into making you a good writer - but I'll definitely be here to find out. Good luck with the change.

Sian
Regular Poster

Post by Sian »

To me, sprite artwork has always had a magical touch of determinism that is largely unmatched in other media (maybe that's why people say it's not so artistically expressive, but I consider it a plus). It has a cartoonish, minimalist feel, and I've always liked it due to the plainness of the information. Of course we can do anything with words or a paintbrush, but the sprite artist is unique in that he (or she) is given a limited artistic set, and can still communicate artistic ideas through it.
My favorite part of your work has been the ironic contradiction of these limitations. As readers, we can (literally) see every pixel, prop, and character for what it is; but deciphering the symbolism behind them is another task altogether. How many of us were constantly surprised by Delemonte, for example? You have the gift of doing things with plot and characters that would make many a greater visual artist jealous, and I always thought that the sprites greatly complimented your skill in storytelling. Some webcomics, such as Alien Dice, compromise between visual and semantic arts by presenting both the comic and a written story beneath it, but I've always felt this is a bit of a problem - often either the image or the writing expresses something the other does not, and it's a bit of a desynchronization of the media. Of course, I may be alone in that opinion.
I respect your decision, so I don't mean to try to convince you to continue the artwork, but it would be a lie to say that I'm not sorry to see it go, from the first moment of Friv tripping over a "rock" to Asural and Tikara backstage (by the way, I lost the game) to shuriken-slashed tires. You have the gift of hiding meaning and surprise behind a pixel, and creating a universe in a 866 by 222 (or 500 by 520) image. Nevertheless, the new may be the better, so I'd like to repeat Jotun's sentiments: good luck, and I'll be here to see it.
-JP

Kasaii
Regular Poster

Post by Kasaii »

Jotun: Thanks! I definately have story threads lined up like ducks. ;)

Sian: When I started, I felt much the same way, but lately I've been feeling like I'm just going through the motions of artwork. Only one strip in ten actually gets that feeling from me. It could be that I'm too strict on myself. But thank you very much for a heartfelt message. It was very awesome. :D