Are you a love me not character?

A group of high school friends attempt to trick themselves and each other into being happy. Unfortunately, none of them are very good at it.

Are you a love me not character?

Postby Lifeindeath on Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:48 am

Does anyone think that the characters in love me not are based on people in Brian's real life? Let's speculate at who each person could be based on!
"Her lips were red, her looks were free,
Her locks were yellow as gold:
Her skin was as white as leprosy,
The Night-mare Life-In-Death was she,
Who thicks man's blood with cold. "
~ Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
by Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Lifeindeath

Postby Izludious on Sun May 01, 2005 4:46 am

hmmm.... Alex could be Brian himself! he's angsty enough, smart enough, and kinda like Brian.
Izludious
Regular Poster

Postby MesozoicMovement on Sun May 01, 2005 10:35 am

I think Dorian is TOTALLY Jeremy.... 'cause their names both start with... because they look... because they act... I guess if Alex is Brian then his best *guy* friend would be Jeremy (or Dorian) and that would make Cassandra into Andria OOOOOOH Cassandra and Andria both end in RA! IT MUST BE A SECRET HINT!!!!! But seriously people... I think Alex/Brian is the only really close pair, personality-wise, and I don't think they're even that close. That's just my opinion...
The sun is a mass of incandescent gas a gigantic nuclear furnace!
MesozoicMovement

Postby Soup Goblin on Sun May 01, 2005 4:08 pm

Hmm, this topic is really interesting to me, because I've given it some thought myself in the past. I definately think that bits and pieces of myself and the people I know have wound up in all my characters. After all, how could they not? My mind can't make anything completely original and out of whole sailcloth. Rather, it is constantly influenced by the events and quandaries of my waking world.
Plus, I don't think I would really want to create anything wholly seperated from my "reality" anyway. I find that when I am reading something for pleasure, whether it be a comic, novel, or even watching a movie, I find that I derive pleasure from situations and faces that are somewhat familiar to me. "I have a friend just like that" I might say, or "Yes, I've been in this kind of situation before".
Not that what entertains me must have things I can immediately identify, (or even identify with), indeed I often choose my preference for something based on just how far into the realm of the bizarre it can go. But then again I often have trouble identifying with the "normal" brands of entertainment available. One solution is to force the characters into broad stereotypes that ANYONE can understand, but I find that that usually leaves the characters too simple for me to care about. But that it helps make me feel... I'm having trouble finding the proper word here. Perhaps it is "comfortable". I wanted my characters to be people that I could understand, and say "I know this person, he is me" about. I do, after all, make "Love Me Not" firstly so that it would entertain me, on a personal level, not necessarily anyone else. I want it to be something that I would want to read.
So yes, perhaps my characters are all facets of my personality given life in cyberspace. I must concede that there are parts of Alex's forlorn longing (yet knowing he can never have what he longs for), Dorian's quiet optimism, Cassandra's guilt-ridden doubt, Danielle's exuberance, and Tobias's self-enforced loneliness all within me.
And also within the people I have known who have passed a part of themselves onto me, or at least what I perceive as parts of themselves. It's impossible for me to fully account for what traits came from where or from who. These characters sprung from my subconcience. I don't know what goes on in there ^^
Soup Goblin
Regular Poster

Postby Soup Goblin on Mon May 02, 2005 5:52 am

So uh... yeah.

*is wondering what he was on when he went off on that tangent last night*

Short answer if you don't want to read that rubbish up there? My characters are probably somewhat based on myself and people I know, just not on purpose. IF THAT MAKES ANY SENSE OKAY?
Soup Goblin
Regular Poster

Postby Flying_rocks on Wed May 04, 2005 6:47 am

It makes perfect sense, Brian!
*puffs on his joint*
"Answerin' e-mails and kickin' Cheats in the hearafter
Buried with his hundred girlfriends
And, like, a jillion dollars.
(Please don't dig up the grave)"
Flying_rocks

Return to Love Me Not