Things that are currently pissing me off

The stories of all the residents of one particular apartment. And not just the one human on the lease. Evil genius bunnies, militaristic refrigerator goo, gay frogs and an adventurous cricket.

Things that are currently pissing me off

Postby Bek on Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:56 pm

So did I get any drawing done today? Nope. Why? Because I've spent the last FOUR HOURS trying to fix my computer. It turns out that all those spiffy "Don't worry, we'll update everything so you don't have to" programs lie. They don't update important stuff like the BIOS or the Embedded Controller Program. Who knew? So mine are about a billion years old and, as a result, my USB ports are fucked up.

So I call IBM, they tell me to download the new files from their site and all will be well. Except....

IBM's website and support servers/computers are down (they're not clear on which). This means I can't get one of the files.

Allow me to repeat. The support servers/computers of I.B.M. (you know, the big-ass computer company) are down. This is like AT+T not being able to work their phone system. Oh wait, they can't. And that's part I why I left them.

No, I'm not all THAT bitter. Why do you ask.

I must go eat now.

p.s. I made my own tempeh at home in my bodged-together incubator. I think I will eat some of it.
Bek
Regular Poster

Postby Toxic on Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:15 am

Yay! Forum!
Toxic
Faster Pussycat

Postby Bek on Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:23 am

Yay! First response!

I feel so special now. *sniff*

Seriously, though, since you're one of the people who helped me reduce the amount of sucking on my comic, I'm still grateful. Yay! Toxic! (OK, I'm done sucking up now)

Also, Yay! IBM repair guy who came to my house and fixed my computer. I love you, 3-year onsite service plan!

(please pardon any nonsensical ramblings as I am currently dealing with ongoing wierd metabolic shite and am kinda wonky)
Bek
Regular Poster

Postby Toxic on Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:31 pm

I built my own comp...so I don't think I have a warranty. Unless my alternate personality is a computer technician.
Toxic
Faster Pussycat

Postby Bek on Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:55 am

Yeah, it does help when you got your computer through work, and work is a huge university, and your program buys a gazillion computers so IBM loves them. Yay, tax dollars!

(I think I'm saying Yay too much. I need another word.)
Bek
Regular Poster

Postby Toxic on Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:54 pm

Ooh, where do you teach?
Toxic
Faster Pussycat

Postby Bek on Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:03 am

Well, I'm not teaching yet (not until fall), but right now I'm in a biology postdoctoral program at UNC-Chapel Hill (hence the IBM-loves-us). My program's called SPIRE(it's a stupid acronym, so I won't write it out) and is supposed to give us training in how to teach in addition to the usual lab training. It's pretty cool to actually get trained how to do my eventual profession. You know all those crappy college profs? That's because most are never taught how to actually teach a class. TA-ing gives a little experience, but they never actually learn how to design a class, write a lecture, write a test, all that good stuff. That's what we get training in (novel idea, train people to do their jobs! woo!).

Come fall, I'm moving to Charlotte to teach at Johnson C. Smith University. I'm really looking forward to it.

Speaking of all this, I need to go to work now... Maybe I'll bring my drawing stuff and slack productively.
Bek
Regular Poster

Return to 1 Br. Apt.