Welsh...and you thought Australian was tricky...

Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away? Remember when you were a kid and the world held magic the grown ups never knew.

Welsh...and you thought Australian was tricky...

Postby Dutch! on Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:07 am

During March, 2006, Melbourne hosts the 18th Commonwealth Games...pretty much the Olympics but just for those countries from the British Commonwealth. Here in Victoria, the school holidays have even been moved forward to coincide with the Games so everyone can go (even though it's been hard to get tickets...even for the basketball, some of which are being played in my local town two hours out of the capital...)

At school we're holding our own little Commonwealth Games day and each grade has chosen a country to represent (besides Australia) and we're learning about them during these two weeks.

Our grade's got Wales.

So I'm gonna teach them a few words of Welsh...

Tricky little language, Welsh.

They're also learning the Welsh national anthem...but in English at this stage.

How's this for a mouthful?

"bore da, sut dach chi?"
"Da iawn, diolch! Sut mae?"
"Reit dda. Wela i chi eto!"
"Ta ra."

Look at it this way though...if we can't manage to learn the anthem in Welsh...at least we can parade around singing Tom Jones songs.
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Dutch!
Red galah

Postby Warofwinds on Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:31 pm

I learned a little Gaelic at the annual Highland games in Ligonnier, PA, but I've forgotten it. 'Ey, taking three languages already. Gimme a break! hehe. ...I have the book around here somewheres...:D
-Kez
ImageImageImage
Warofwinds
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dutch! on Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:23 am

Found out some more fun information about the Welsh the other night. The kids thought it was amusing too. The Welsh wear leeks on their heads.

What the kids DON'T yet realise (but will at school next) is that they'll be wearing leeks on their heads for the march around as well.

The story goes that the Welsh were fighting back the Saxons in a field of leeks. St David realised they couldn't really tell friend from foe, so he told all the Welsh to wear a leek in their cap.

So we're gonna do the same.

Dunno what the kids'll say, but I'm the teacher, I'm in charge, and I want to laugh at them.
Dutch!
Red galah

Postby Warofwinds on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:21 pm

Dutch! wrote:
Dunno what the kids'll say, but I'm the teacher, I'm in charge, and I want to laugh at them.

That is a priceless quote.
-Kez
ImageImageImage
Warofwinds
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dutch! on Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:16 pm

I actually bought a bag of leeks the night before...it was a mixed reaction when I told them they were going to be wearing them on their heads.

On a positive note...they sing the national anthem really well...and even do the chorus in Welsh!

But they'll only do it if I'll pull out the guitar and play along with them.

Crafty little buggers.
Dutch!
Red galah

Return to School Spirit