Bloody brilliant

Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away? Remember when you were a kid and the world held magic the grown ups never knew.

Bloody brilliant

Postby Bev on Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:46 am

I'm quite astounded by the lack of activity on here and over at Buzz in regards to this comic, but I guess you can put that down to americas sheer unwillingness to even want to understand Australian culture. Mention cricket (or in your case try to explain it) and they don't care. But I think what you've done here is a marvelous job of capturing the Aussie schoolyard feel. When the kids were cleaning out their "lockers" I thought to myself "hang on, since when did our schools have lockers?" then I saw the rest of the strip :P It's good to see more webcomics that are so unashamedly Australian that I'm sure you've alienated alot of people but don't care at all, cause you've done a great job just for this little continent.

The name's Bev, fresh out of Uni and a fellow webcomic artist. Though nothing like your comic in terms of genre, I do try to keep my comics feet planted firmly in this country, essentially turning the whole hollywood action genre on its head by completely ignoring america and putting the aussie spin on everything.

Keep up the good work, and don't worry, we're gunna get the ashes back next time.
Bev

Postby Dutch! on Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:28 am

No worries, Bev.

Thanks for the kind words. I've been told before the strip's unashamedly Australian and refuses to apologise for it. Too right it does! More so than Americas not wanting to give anything outside their own borders a decent shot, I think the main problem with lack of responses over something like this though is that the demography of internet webcomic readers is generally high-school to university aged, and apparently most of them believe school can't be seen as a positive experience. I've been told that plenty of times too.

Shame really...

Anyway, glad to hear that it's slowly being discovered out there. It's been running a while now and I think it deserves a little more attention than it's been receiving. Thanks for reading through and enjoying what's on offer.

Hope to catch you soon.

Cheers.
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Dutch!
Red galah

Postby Bev on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:29 pm

I heard about your comic from another guy on the net. We were chattin about his and my work when I asked him if we needed an online translation of Aussie slang. That's when he told me you had one, so I though, I have to read this comic. And I did. :P

And don't worry, alot of us smaller comics do deserve alot of attention that we never seem to get, but there's always a handful of devoted fans, even if they rarely make their voices heard. They're out there. I'll be sure to plug you on my next update :)
Bev

Postby Dutch! on Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:51 pm

Sweet. Any chance you can divulge who the silly bloke is? That may be unethical, but I'd still find it interesting. :)

I agree about the quiet, devoted fans. I've got a fairly silent yet loyal little following. You appreciate them all the more then, eh? Thanks in advance for the offer of the plug on your next update. I'll let you know how much traffic it sends on if you like.

Cheers.
Dutch!
Red galah

Postby Azumanga1 on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:59 pm

Dutch! wrote:I've been told before the strip's unashamedly Australian and refuses to apologise for it. Too right it does! More so than Americas not wanting to give anything outside their own borders a decent shot...

This strip is indeed markedly Aussie -- there are some times in which I had to think a bit in order to get the "strine" lingo, but it's one of my favorites nevertheless.

Where foreign (to Americans) comics are concerned -- in my opinion, all I care is whether or not I enjoy the comic -- regardless of where it came from. And I'm one of a few who likes to go off the beaten path, learning about the people and cultures outside the US.

I think the main problem with lack of responses over something like this though is that the demography of internet webcomic readers is generally high-school to university aged...

I must be bucking the trend -- I'm going on 36.

... and apparently most of them believe school can't be seen as a positive experience. I've been told that plenty of times too.

For those who don't live in Australia, maybe they haven't seen an Aussie school before

And even if school in general isn't a positive experience, there has to be a few good moments out of it.
--
Read "The Mundane Circus" at
http://www.animeexpressway.com/
Azumanga1

Postby Bev on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:54 pm

The guy who told me about the comic's name is Donkas online, don't know him personally. I probably wont be updating for a while but I'll definatly remember to plug when I do, otherwise you can come down here and give me a dead arm.
Bev

Postby Dutch! on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:06 pm

Don't be too worried about being 36...I'll be that age one day. :)

Donkas! I know him (vaguely). He drops by the tag board every now and then. Funny...I assumed him to be an Aussie himself...I vividly recall him telling me the strip was the 'duck's guts'...how Australian can you get?

Oh, and don't worry...you'll get a cork or two if you forget...there might even be a Chinese burn in it for you if you're not careful! ;)

Cheers.
Dutch!
Red galah

Return to School Spirit