School Spirit End of Year Report 2005

Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away? Remember when you were a kid and the world held magic the grown ups never knew.

School Spirit End of Year Report, 2005

Top of the class! Sit next to Brylcreem in the front row!
67%
A solid year. Next to Grace by the sports gear.
33%
A quiet little achiever! Sit next to Casper...who else?
No votes
Pretty ordinary...join Davey Jones up the back there.
No votes
Are you fair dinkum? Join Cody back in Grade One!
No votes

Total votes : 3

Postby Dutch! on Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:04 am

Yes. It's that time of year again...I'm writing reports for my grade. Like last year, I'm thinking...if I've got to write reports, you can too! So here's your chance. Four indicators to rate the strip on. Give a comment each, or an overall general one. Be as honest, brutal or funny as you like. I'm only doing this for a laugh or two...

1. Art: The pictures and stuff.

2. Story: Yeah. The story. There's one in there somewhere.

3. Characters: Who's really good? Who should be developed further? Who's just plain stupid? Cody is already a given.

4. Humour: Is it there? At all?

I'll close this on sometime before mid December because I'm not sure exactly when my reports will go out to the kids yet. Anything the is written in here may get into this year's School Spirit End of Year Report Strip for 2005, so get in here and give it a go!

Go on. Make us laugh.
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Dutch!
Red galah

Postby Dutch! on Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:26 am

In a quiet attempt to get some sort of response from anybody who happens to be a closet reader...There's about two weeks to go before my reports get handed out to the kids...so I reckon that's about two weeks to go before I need to collect all of these reports here about School Spirit to put into a strip of their own.

Yeah. All of these reports.

At the moment I can count them on the fingers of one head.

If you've been intending to write one, now would be the time.

Cheers.
Dutch!
Red galah

Postby Azumanga1 on Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:50 pm

Dutch! wrote:At the moment I can count them on the fingers of one head.

If you've been intending to write one, now would be the time.

Here's mine -- it's one of the best webstrips I have ever read. All the characters are loveable, the situations riveting, and the designs of the characters and the use of Aussie lingo make "School Spirit" quaint and cute.

This is one strip that I will make a habit of reading, and I'll pass the word on to others on my own webstrip site.

Keep up the good work.

P.S --

1. Art: Love the artwork and how the characters are rendered. Though to be honest, at first look, I thought they were supposed to be animals, not humans.

2. Story: The stories in this strip are kind of cute and heart-warming. Nothing too mature or too dumb, and nothing that would insult one's intelligence.

3. Characters: I'm rather new at this game, so I didn't have time to analyse the characters, though I kind of like Miss Conway -- a teacher who is not only stern to her students, but genuinely cares for them very much.

4. Humour: "Is it there? At all?" Of course.

UPDATE: I have read the entire thing, and I still stand by my opinion. Great job -- keep uo the good work.
--
Read "The Mundane Circus" at
http://www.animeexpressway.com/
Azumanga1

Postby Ari on Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:53 am

All right, I'm not sure you should listen to anything I write (since I am not a cartoonist and could never so the amazing things you do!), but it's finals week and I've had too much caffeine and no sleep and you definitely deserve more than one report! So let's see how this goes:

1) Art: At first the ears bothered me, I have to admit, but now I find them rather cute. Plus, it's wonderful aside from that, and who am I to be so petty? Although I admit I'm curious why Miss Conway always wears a coat... is there a story behind that? I was looking at the beginning strips (frame of reference) and it has come a long way! Colored everyday now and you've made it so much easier to tell Cody and Casper apart.

2) Story: The stories are very nicly drawn, cute, funny, and make me laugh! (Which I value quite a lot... Thank you!) Um, that's about it, no constructive criticism! No criticism at all, really, I'll have to work on that... I am glad Wendy will finally be coming back into the story, I kinda missed her!

3) Characters: They are all very likable (even the ones that aren't supposed to be like Davey and Byrlcreem!), though I would like a bit more background, maybe? Though I enjoy the angst-freeness and lightheartedness of this comic, so maybe getting into the other stuff would ruin that. Or maybe you're being subtle and slowly leading us into their lives (that sounds plausible to me!). Or maybe I should just let the artist drive and enjoy the ride! (But can we at least find out how Wendy died?) I would also like to see more of the lesser characters, but that's the reason they're not focused on I suppose, though you did do Chastity... so maybe there's some Byrlcreem in the future? (He's my favorite character, I have to plug a bit for him!)

4) Humour: To be brief, would I read your awesome comic and leave a - whoa, longer review than a thought - quite lengthy report, if it didn't make me laugh? I check every day for a new strip, cause I still haven't quite figured out the time difference and I don't want to miss it! (Looking back at that, I'm not quite sure if you should be complimented or wondering why you've managed to attract someone to your comic who has no life... if given the choice, I meant it in the non-loser-esqe way?)

Well that's all I have... I've gotta go see where I can get coffee now. Keep up the great work and, if I survive, I'll keep watching. (And laughing!)

-Ari
Ari

Postby Azumanga1 on Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:49 pm

I check every day for a new strip, cause I still haven't quite figured out the time difference and I don't want to miss it!

The strip's updated three times a week: Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday in Australia -- which, in the US and Britain, translates to Saturday, Monday and Wednesday.
--
Read "The Mundane Circus" at
http://www.animeexpressway.com/
Azumanga1

Postby Dutch! on Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:05 am

Okay. As of this evening (Thursday, 15th), I've just completed the School Spirit end of year report strip. Pretty pleased with it, because I managed to write it, draw it, and colour it in an evening. I was a little concerned about getting this one done for Sunday morning because both nights are pretty booked.

So that means this thread is getting locked as there is no further need for contributions until next year. If you want to post a review/report etc, then feel free, just make your own thread.

Thanks to those who contributed. I've included parts of your reports in the strip.

Cheers.
Dutch!
Red galah

Return to School Spirit