Okay, first of all, February 10 is the anniversary of a car accident I had 3 years ago. It was windy and snowy out yesterday but I took my chances and braved the roads.
I had a bit of work I wanted to get done at the library, so I was there maybe a half hour and left around 6:30pm to go get some groceries at Walmart, which was about a mile or so away. I get on the main road going towards Walmart and all of a sudden I spun in a circle on the road!
Since this was after 6:30 on a miserable sunday night, the roads were fairly quiet. I recall seeing one car come to a stop behind me and thankfully I got the car under control and pulled into a school parking lot to wait for my heart attack to subside.
So I eventually calmed down and went to Walmart, did my business and got home at 7:55pm.
I walked from my garage to my back door and, nestled by the back step next to the house was a bottle of beer with a cap on it, a travel coffee mug and a roll of paper towels. Yeah, I slowly took a look and said "what the hell?" Then I noticed my back door was open.
Now, I live in a very small and very quiet village in upstate NY. I don't recall ANYTHING serious ever happening there and I've been there most of my life. Yes, I had been leaving the back door unlocked. I know several houses in town who do this.
So, I go into the house and see stuff out of place. I took a quick walk around the house and nothing major was gone.
Then I went to my neighbors' house to ask them if they had seen anyone or anything...since this was a dark, cold winter evening I wasn't expecting much. I called the cops from their house and someone came within 10-12 minutes. I took the cop over to my place and in that bit of time I was gone, one of the fuckers came back and took the crap they left by my back step!
The cop and I followed the footsteps in the snow. From what we could tell, I surprised the guy in my house when I came home and parked in the garage. He took off out my front door and a different guy came back and got the stuff from the back step. This asshole actually ran through my neighbors' yard to hop in a car and take off. I could tell there were two of them because one left a boot print and the other was a sneaker print.
As I've mentioned here before, I keep four banks in my bedroom which contain my "hoard" for comic convention money. The two small banks were still in my bedroom but the two bigger banks were gone.
One bank had been smashed open and the other bank was upside down and empty. For some reason, they chose to use a flimsy clear plastic trashbag to put several pounds of pocket change in. Yes, the bag was still on my kitchen table, it had split (big surprise) and money was all over the place. The other bank was intact.
So, I did my thing with the cop and he's coming tonight so I can make a formal report.
Then I went over the house again and found a few things missing: I'm the Treasurer for two clubs and I had the boxes of spare checks in my kitchen. A book or two of checks was missing. I had my personal checkbook with me but I was missing a book of my checks, so, during lunch today, I have to go to the banks and tell them what happened. I have the check numbers, so I assume they'll stop those numbers. I also had a couple $2 bills stashed away in a plastic cup and an old $1 bill from 1957...these were gone.
So, how did it feel getting robbed for the first time? Mainly I'm still angry and puzzled. I have potentially valuable stuff all over the house and none of that was messed with. They just headed for my bedroom as if they knew the banks were there and that was it.
On top of all this, I had a message from one of my brothers to let me know he was coming to stay a couple days. I called and left a message to let him know what happened and he called me back soon after. I also called my dad to tell him. My brother came around midnight and I appreciate his company.
Yes, this could've been LOTS worse. I suspect I'm lucky that I came home unexpectedly and surprised these assholes. My back door will be locked from now on.
Since it was snowy and windy last night, the footprints were useless but the cop took stuff that might have fingerprints on it. However, knowing my luck, these two guys won't have records.
Yes, it's just "stuff" and I wasn't hurt but having strangers in your house doing whatever they damn well please annoys the hell outta me. I hope the cops get someone.
Oh well...I hope I have a better evening tonight.
Dennis

