real food

The lives of two self-proclaimed geek/gamer chicks as told by themselves. Sadly, we don't have to exaggerate much from reality.

Postby Dennis Kininger on Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:58 am

Kubey wrote:OMG! About Rachel Ray's perkiness....

A couple months back there was a funny interview with her where the interviewer asked her if anyone could be so stupidly happy all the time, and didn't she fear some sort of epic repercussions - like every time she smiled a unicorn would be punched in the face.

She responded (as best I can remember), "I'd smile all day, every day, if I knew someone was punching unicorns in the face."

It cracked me up.

Hmmph! I wanna know what she's got against unicorns!

As to Paula Deen's bitchiness, I dunno about that but she just seems phony or something on TV.

Dennis
"It's impossible to be neat and tidy amidst the natural majesty of mountains of books."

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby Special K on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:23 am

I used to work in a book store in Savannah. Where you have to cater to her when she comes to sign. Now, I never spoke to her directly, but several of my coworkers have.

For example, she once yelled at one of the managers 'cause we had one of her books on discount.

Meh.. overhyped overhyped.
FFXI - Keahi, Haeruthien, & Airaria - Lakshmi Server

Captain I-can't-use-this-word-per-copyright-laws Bag is defiant and follows the rules!
Special K
Regular Poster

Postby ColonelMCmuf on Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:12 pm

she has the weirdest voice its like she just ate a pound of ashes when she talks
An aspiring artist i am, but a good one i am not

Captain Sam Kidd the greatest pirate in the world!
ColonelMCmuf
Regular Poster

Postby Dennis Kininger on Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:56 am

Ya know, that's what she sounds like to me, too.

As to her being overhyped, I totally agree, Kristy.

And, no, I don't cater to anyone no matter who they are and I've met a few so-called "celebs".

Dennis
"It's impossible to be neat and tidy amidst the natural majesty of mountains of books."

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby ColonelMCmuf on Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:11 pm

i actually hang out with the lead singer of a band called Flyleaf on a daily basis. i hate those "Better than god" famous people.

ColonelMCmuf
Regular Poster

Postby Kubey on Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:07 am

I like Flyleaf. I used to own their CD until one day I was pulling it out of my CD player and it shattered! I was sad.
Kubey
Regular Poster

Postby Dennis Kininger on Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:49 am

Okay, I'm "old" and uncool, so I've gotta ask who "Flyleaf" is as I've never heard of them.

Thinking back, most of the celebs I've met have been very nice. I mainly just see them at conventions.

I've had a couple conversations with Margot Kidder at a convention.

Ernie Hudson was very cool. He was the black Ghostbuster in the Ghostbuster movies.

June Lockhart is a sweet lady. She played Timmy's Mom on the old Lassie TV show and Will Robinson's Mom on the Lost in Space TV show.

I had a nice chat with Yvonne Craig last Fall. She played Batgirl on the old BATMAN TV show. Since Batgirl was a librarian in her secret identity, we mainly chatted about libraries.

Anyway, all the celebs I've met have been very approachable and easy to talk to.

Many of the comics pros I've met are cool...one guy was a dick and I haven't seen his name on a comic in some years now. I wonder why.

Dennis

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby ColonelMCmuf on Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:21 pm

Flyleaf is a "punkish rock band" at least thats what Lacey calls it.

ColonelMCmuf
Regular Poster

Postby Jaded Deceit on Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:31 am

So on the subject of real food ! What foods are good for helping build your immune system? It would seem that the Santa Ana winds have changed the temp. here so often that everyone is getting sick. I won't say which of my friends has Strep ( because it is almost all of them ) and now I am starting to have a rough feeling throat. I took a bunch of vitamins and then a "C" Tablet to help fight this but I am worried. I can't be sick!

So what foods would you use? ( when hotpockets fail you, where do you turn to? )
Hajimemashite. How do you do?
Watashi wa Furankurin desu. My name is Franklin.
Watashi wa nekononiku ga daisuki desu. I love cat meat.
Nihon no onanohito mo daisuki desuyo. I also love Japanese women I say!
Doozo yoroshiku.It is nice to meet you.
Jaded Deceit
Regular Poster

Postby EbyKat on Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:31 am

garlic is good for keeping your immune system strong

Not so good for making you better when you're sick, but eat as much of it as often as possible and one day you could be like me... sick once or twice a year... tops. :D
EbyKat
Regular Poster

Postby Jaded Deceit on Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:29 am

Awesome I love garlic! I will start today.
Jaded Deceit
Regular Poster

Postby ColonelMCmuf on Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:58 pm

i eat local honey it boosts my imune system against that weather and aliergies. but make sure its local honey

ColonelMCmuf
Regular Poster

Postby Jaded Deceit on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:57 am

Local honey? We had that in Colorado. It actually makes sense that it has to be local to fight allergines, because it would have to be from local flowers and plants and such to work. But it helps boost the immune system too eh? I will now dip my roasted garlic in honey and chase that down with some OJ.( the non-simson kind )
Jaded Deceit
Regular Poster

Postby Dennis Kininger on Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:37 am

*Thanks for the info on Flyleaf. Doesn't sound like my thing but to each his/her own.

Okay, here's what I do to rarely get sick:

Every day, I take a regular vitamin supplement...doesn't matter what brand, I buy the generic Walmart vitamins.

I also take a zinc pill and an echinacea pill. If you look around, you can find decently priced brands.

So, it's three pills every morning.

I also drink a glass of OJ, a glass of V8 and a glass of apple/cranberry juice...not huge glasses, juice-sized glasses are fine. Yeah, you'll have to pee later but not getting sick is worth it.

OJ is always good for vitamin C and potassium. V8 is good for several things. Cranberry juice is supposed to be good for various things, like urinary function (Yeah, I'm older, I think about this stuff). There are many blends but you need the 27% blend juice.

In addition to all that, I drink 3-4 mugs of green tea with honey during the day. I'm having one now.

Yeah, it's a bit of a regimen and I let the green tea slide on my days off...I usually have one or two mugs...but I literally haven't been seriously sick in years.

As to foods, I would recommend just eating moderately: Have some fruit as a snack, have veggies as part of your dinner or lunch, stuff like that. Everyone's a little different. If you can cook and eat real food now and then, great! If not, it is still possible to feed yourself with packaged food if you shop around and read labels. Some of it is crap and some of it is very good.

I also suspect I have a naturally good immune system as I was rarely sick in grade school and never missed a day of high school, college or grad school...okay I missed one day of grad school when my car broke down and I couldn't get there. In 13 years of library work, I've had 2-4 sick days at most. I get wicked migraines sometimes and that's why I missed those days. I had the flu once or twice.

I actually accumulate perfect attendance days at work, so I can take a day off some time and still get paid for it...huzzah for civil service jobs!

As to garlic? I've never taken it but it's supposed to have benefits.

I've taken Vitamin C pills but they didn't agree with me...I think I probably didn't need it. You can take TOO many vitamins too.

Before I started my vitamin/juice/tea regimen, I'd sometimes have colds which lasted for weeks...now I don't have anything more than a sniffle, so this is what works for me.

I also recommend washing your hands during the day. I work with the public so I've got people hacking and sneezing on me all day long...which is probably how I caught the flu and my marathon colds. So I started my regimen and paid more attention to my washing...yes, I always did it after using the rest room but now I wash more often or just use a bottle of hand sanitizer.

I spent about three hours after work last night in below zero weather digging out my house after a snowstorm and I feel fine today so my routine works for me.

So there are many ways to improve your immune system and everyone will have his/her own ideas and opinions.

Dennis

PS: Oh yeah, I also think regular activity is helpful in staying healthy and there are many ways to exercise.

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby Joyling on Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:38 pm

I have strep. ;_; After today I won't be contagious any more and will be able to go back to work... yay. In the meantime Mish and I finished all 4 disks of El-hazard: Wanderers. ^_^ I kinda like Wanderers Ifurita better than Magnificent World Ifurita.
Joyling
Regular Poster

Postby Nziz on Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:53 pm

I rarely get sick, but my dad's a nutritionist, so when I do, I've had some good advice on what to ingest. (Some of this has already been said, but I thought I'd contribute anyway.)

When I start to feel sick, I take Echinacea (it's most useful at the beginning of an illness). If it's a sore throat, I take Zinc (my current brand has Vitamin C included, so it's even better).

And I also just learned that gargling with mouthwash can help a sore throat, since it kills germs. So if you gargle in the right part of your mouth, it's a big help. (It's good for canker sores too.)

Once you get sick, juice and sleep are your friends. Candy is your enemy, since too much sugar can dampen the immune system.

To keep from getting sick, just take care of yourself in general: eat balanced meals, exercise regularly, get enough sleep. Avoid stress (easier said than done, I know!)

I think that's about it. Nothing too complicated. If you get an illness that's more than a passing thing, get thee to a physician.
Ninjas and werewolves and Templars, oh my!
Nziz
Regular Poster

Postby Jaded Deceit on Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:31 pm

Just like the "this or that" post between toughing it out or go to the doc...
Give me the doc...
Jaded Deceit
Regular Poster

Postby EbyKat on Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:30 am

I have a doctor phobia

I also have a spending money I don't have phobia

The two combined leave me toughing it out the few times I do get sick.
EbyKat
Regular Poster

Postby ColonelMCmuf on Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:36 pm

my moms a nurse so she can handle most things and her health insurance covers anything else.

also the great thing about vitamin C is that you can't overdose on it like other vitamins if you take too much then you just piss it out so you can take two or three a day and you could build up a powerful imune system

(you could have a alergic reaction to large amounts of C. so if you feel weird dont do it again and if you feel really bad go to the emergency room.)

ColonelMCmuf
Regular Poster

Postby Dennis Kininger on Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:51 am

Nziz wrote:I rarely get sick, but my dad's a nutritionist, so when I do, I've had some good advice on what to ingest. (Some of this has already been said, but I thought I'd contribute anyway.)

When I start to feel sick, I take Echinacea (it's most useful at the beginning of an illness). If it's a sore throat, I take Zinc (my current brand has Vitamin C included, so it's even better).

And I also just learned that gargling with mouthwash can help a sore throat, since it kills germs. So if you gargle in the right part of your mouth, it's a big help. (It's good for canker sores too.)

Once you get sick, juice and sleep are your friends. Candy is your enemy, since too much sugar can dampen the immune system.

To keep from getting sick, just take care of yourself in general: eat balanced meals, exercise regularly, get enough sleep. Avoid stress (easier said than done, I know!)

I think that's about it. Nothing too complicated. If you get an illness that's more than a passing thing, get thee to a physician.

Yay! Someone to back me up on the wonders of echinacea and zinc! I take it everyday with no ill effects and I don't get sick.

Yes, juice is good and sleep is good. I only sleep about 5 hours a night but perhaps that's all I need.

We all get stressed but I have ways to deal with it.

I also agree with just taking care of yourself thing: Yeah, pills and vitamins help but won't solve all your problems. Eating sane meals and getting activity are both important parts of being healthy.

Regarding too much Vitamin C? No, massive doses won't kill you but it can make you pretty sick with various unpleasant side effects.

Dennis

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Noses Optional