Anime Festival 3

The lives of two self-proclaimed geek/gamer chicks as told by themselves. Sadly, we don't have to exaggerate much from reality.

Re: Anime Festival 3

Postby Dennis Kininger on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:51 am

Oh, I imagine things will pick up once our beloved leader, Kristy, goes forth with her plans for a new comic and whatever she intends for this one.

In the meantime, I'm happy to chat with anyone wishing to chat with me.

Dennis
"It's impossible to be neat and tidy amidst the natural majesty of mountains of books."

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby ColonelMCmuf on Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:38 pm

so your like the chat genie
An aspiring artist i am, but a good one i am not

Captain Sam Kidd the greatest pirate in the world!
ColonelMCmuf
Regular Poster

Postby Dennis Kininger on Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:01 pm

Heh! I'm not that good at granting wishes but I like a nice message board chat from time to time.

Dennis
"It's impossible to be neat and tidy amidst the natural majesty of mountains of books."

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dennis Kininger on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:16 am

Hey!

I'm doing yet another one of these things at my library on Thursday. I don't know what I'll be showing yet but I'll post a little report after the event for anyone who cares to know.

DK

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dennis Kininger on Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:47 pm

Omigoodness! Well, I hosted my NINTH anime festival, at the library where I work, earlier this afternoon...in fact, it ended about 30 minutes ago.

I survived the onslaught of the 17 teenagers who attended, okay...it was actually 16 teenagers and one somewhat older librarian but sixteen teenagers in a single room is still scary! :o D: :eyebrow:

However, the kids all enjoyed themselves and here's what I showed:

At the previous festival someone made a request for RUROUNI KENSHIN, so I brought in my copy of season one, which is all that I currently own of the series. I chose a random episode and it was the timid sumo wrestler episode, not one of my favorites but it's still a nice episode.

Then I popped in episode 20 of TRIGUN, one of the Gung-ho Guns episodes.

Then we watched episode one of COMIC PARTY!, Which is amusing and presents an uncannily accurate picture of the convention going experience. XD

The festivities ended with a couple episodes of CROMARTIE HIGH SCHOOL, which are short in length and very weird but I like the series.

Oh yes, I also wore my festive shirt celebrating the 80s anime, BASTARD! It's black with a giant eyeball and a pic of Dark Schneider on the front.

All in all it was a well-received program and I got still got paid to sit on my arse and watch anime for 2 hours.

Not sure when the next festival will be...perhaps during a school break this fall.

Dennis

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jrm102 on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:17 pm

That is awesome Dennis. I admire all efforts to spread the greatness that is anime. I for one had plans to go to a local anime gathering here in shreveport but unfortunately I was off by a day.

Bastard! That's something I haven't seen in a long time but looking back on it, it might be time to revisit it.

I completely agree about the whole teenagers are scary commit. Normally I don't really have any contact with teenagers but ever since I started getting involved with a local anime club I frequently say to myself, Is this how I was when I was their age? Then I look back and realize that yes, that was how I most likely was. :)

To end, keep up the awesome work Dennis. You give these kids a place to enjoy and share similar interests while providing a safe environment in which to do it in.
Jrm102
Regular Poster

Postby Dennis Kininger on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:58 am

Awww...thanks for the nice words, I appreciate it.

Yeah, I haven't seen "Bastard!" in a long time and I've only read a volume or two of the manga. I'm curious to rustle up a copy and watch it again (as I recall, I rented it from Blockbuster a long time ago). I may end up buying a copy to show at a future festival at work.

Was I once like the teens I presided over yesterday? :o

Yeah, I suppose I was. With the exception of maybe "Voltron" (which I never found out was anime until I first heard the term years later), there really wasn't any anime readily available when I was a teenager. I don't recall any squealing girls and, back, then I was a big science fiction/fantasy nerd with my nose in one book or another. So, the teenaged me would probably have gotten along great with the teen guys who came to my anime festival yesterday.

Personally, I enjoy the festivals and I expect to do another in October. I'm glad the kids enjoy them.

Dennis

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby ColonelMCmuf on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:07 am

I always admire someone getting paid for minimal amount of work! Keep it up Dennis.
An aspiring artist i am, but a good one i am not

Captain Sam Kidd the greatest pirate in the world!
ColonelMCmuf
Regular Poster

Postby Dennis Kininger on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:31 am

Yes, there are days when my job truly rules! :shucks:

Dennis

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Previous

Return to Noses Optional