Anime Festival 3

The lives of two self-proclaimed geek/gamer chicks as told by themselves. Sadly, we don't have to exaggerate much from reality.

Postby ColonelMCmuf on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:32 pm

I hope I can find more cool people in Hattiesburg when I move.
An aspiring artist i am, but a good one i am not

Captain Sam Kidd the greatest pirate in the world!
ColonelMCmuf
Regular Poster

Postby Dennis Kininger on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:01 am

Hope so!

Dennis
"It's impossible to be neat and tidy amidst the natural majesty of mountains of books."

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dennis Kininger on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:29 am

Oh dear!

My next anime festival at my library is on Wednesday...guess I should get off my butt and pick out a few things for the kiddies to watch, huh?

Dennis
"It's impossible to be neat and tidy amidst the natural majesty of mountains of books."

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby ColonelMCmuf on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:28 pm

you play much FLCL?

ColonelMCmuf
Regular Poster

Anime Festival "shichi"

Postby Dennis Kininger on Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:19 pm

Yes, I had my SEVENTH anime festival this afternoon for the teenagers and it went pretty well.

*Oh yeah! To answer the Colonel's question, I did play some FLCL a few festivals ago. It's a demented series and I love it. I don't recall what the kids thought of it.

I had six kids show up and that was better than my last one.

Here's what I showed today:

1) Episode 9 of COWBOY BEBOP, which introduces Ed into the series.

2) Episode 1 of ROD: THE TV SERIES...Yes, I needed a fix from Nenene and the Paper sisters. I've missed them. :shucks:

3) Episodes 1 and 2 of BLACK LAGOON...The audience was mostly girls and they were digging the bad-ass chick with attitude so we watched two episodes.

Me? I've seen all this stuff and didn't have to do REAL work for a couple hours but I still get paid.

My job kicks ass sometimes. :wink:

Well...the kiddies have a weeklong break in April for Spring Break and I imagine I'll do an 8th festival sometime then.

Dennis

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jaded Deceit on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:59 pm

They may not see you as a hero, but to me you are Superman Dennis^^. I totally could use old ren-faire stuff for LARP and Ren-Faire if anyone wants to donate!

On to anime, I really want to see Full metal alchemist and Bleach. Plus Mish and I have been kicking around Noir again. I admit I need a Maggie fix. She is cute. /blush :shucks: <--- /real blush
Hajimemashite. How do you do?
Watashi wa Furankurin desu. My name is Franklin.
Watashi wa nekononiku ga daisuki desu. I love cat meat.
Nihon no onanohito mo daisuki desuyo. I also love Japanese women I say!
Doozo yoroshiku.It is nice to meet you.
Jaded Deceit
Regular Poster

Postby Dennis Kininger on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:12 am

Jaded Deceit wrote:They may not see you as a hero, but to me you are Superman Dennis^^. I totally could use old ren-faire stuff for LARP and Ren-Faire if anyone wants to donate!

On to anime, I really want to see Full metal alchemist and Bleach. Plus Mish and I have been kicking around Noir again. I admit I need a Maggie fix. She is cute. /blush :shucks: <--- /real blush

Heh! Thanks Frank! It's nice to feel wanted. :wink:

LARP/Ren Faire stuff?
LARPs don't seem to exist in NY (~cries :cry: ~) but I'd like to have a real costume for the nifty Ren Faire we have here each summer.

Ah yes, "Full Metal Alchemist"! Oh, the things I could do with Alchemy! Yes, I loves that series and I played an episode at one of my festivals. Maybe I'll show some more at the next one.

I've tried but haven't warmed up to "Bleach" yet.

I've also missed "Noir" and thought about showing an episode of that.

Right now, I seem to have a yen for ROD again and more cuteness from Michelle and Maggie. Okay...Nenene's a hottie but she's scary :o

Dennis

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Re: Anime Festival 3

Postby Special K on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:45 am

I like Bleach, but a lot of it seems to be "omg fight time!" so I get distracted from it.

FMA I LOVELOVELOVE. Oh so very much.

<3 Ed forever. Err.. both the redhead and one-armed varieties.. ^^
FFXI - Keahi, Haeruthien, & Airaria - Lakshmi Server

Captain I-can't-use-this-word-per-copyright-laws Bag is defiant and follows the rules!
Special K
Regular Poster

Postby E~Man on Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:16 pm

Dennis,

Black Lagoon is looking rather good, I just finished watching the first two episode--> http://www.surfthechannel.com/show/anim ... agoon.html
...pulling back the foreskin of ignorance and applying the wire brush of knowledge.

Chakra: Any place where, if you hit it with a baseball bat, you'll die. Joe Bob Briggs
E~Man
Regular Poster

Postby Dennis Kininger on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:57 am

What the hey? :o

I go away for a few days and the boards have changed...looks nice, though.

*Kristy: I've tried watching "Bleach" a few times when it's on TV here and I can't get into it. It just seems like fight after fight and people yelling and not too much else. We have a couple DVDs at the library where I work and I may see what the unedited version is like. I have read some of the manga and thought that was decent.

Yup, I like "Full Metal Alchemist" quite a bit, too.

Once I'm done with my current R.O.D. binge, I think I'll watch FMA next.

**E-man: Yeah, "Black Lagoon" was a hoot. It kinda reminds me of "Cowboy Bebop" but based on earth. Fun show and I plan to watch more of it.

Dennis

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jrm102 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:44 pm

I really enjoyed FMA as well, thought by the time I first saw it the fan craze had already swept in and I was a little hesitant to watch it because of it. I am glad that a buddy of mine convinced me to watch it. I thought it was going to be your average pre-teen anime but I was encouraged to find out that the series involved many mature themes and interwove them seamlessly into the plot.

As for Beach, I used to keep current with the series but I began to lose interest and eventually stop watching the series altogether. Things just seemed too formulated although I was a good action series. I might pick it up again if only to see if they are still doing the end of the world, must become more powerful, check out my new super abilities script. There were soo many characters in it that I really like and I wished they got more screen time.

I really should check out R.O.D. the series, I saw the OVA and loved it but unfortunately never got around to watch it.

.... :roll: doh... sorry didn't mean to start rambling
Jrm102
Regular Poster

Postby Dennis Kininger on Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:32 pm

jrm102 wrote:I really enjoyed FMA as well, thought by the time I first saw it the fan craze had already swept in and I was a little hesitant to watch it because of it. I am glad that a buddy of mine convinced me to watch it. I thought it was going to be your average pre-teen anime but I was encouraged to find out that the series involved many mature themes and interwove them seamlessly into the plot.

As for Beach, I used to keep current with the series but I began to lose interest and eventually stop watching the series altogether. Things just seemed too formulated although I was a good action series. I might pick it up again if only to see if they are still doing the end of the world, must become more powerful, check out my new super abilities script. There were soo many characters in it that I really like and I wished they got more screen time.

I really should check out R.O.D. the series, I saw the OVA and loved it but unfortunately never got around to watch it.

.... :roll: doh... sorry didn't mean to start rambling

Why...what is this thing called "rambling" of which you speak? I never do that. :shucks: :wink: XD

The R.O.D. OVA is absolutely marvelous! It's only three episodes and one coherent storyline. I still have a shameless crush on a fictional anime woman :shucks:. A gal with a bigger book collection than mine AND she's a hottie? If she were real, I'd ask her out on the spot. :P

R.O.D. the series is good but it could be better. It's set five years after the OVA and the main characters are three female paper masters who live as sisters running a detective agency. Two of the girls love books as much as Yomiko Readman in the OVA but the youngest girl doesn't. There's also a female author who's a friend of Yomiko's and Yomiko has been missing for 5 years.

The sisters come from a manga called "Read or Dream". The female author appears as a young girl in the "Read or Die" manga but she's an adult in the anime series. Personally, I found the "Read or Die" manga rather depressing while the OVA was glorious. The "Read or Dream" manga is quite a bit different from the anime series but still very charming and often quite fun.

Anyway, the series is very good until Yomiko gets discovered roughly halfway through the series (There are 26 episodes and Yomiko first comes back in episode 16 or so). The series starts out with very good chemistry between the Paper Sisters and the female author...they're all great characters and the shows were fun.

When Yomiko comes back, the series gets a bit darker and just isn't as fun as the first shows were. While I like Yomiko, she doesn't quite blend well with the Paper Sisters. The series is still worth seeing,if you get a chance.

**I like FMA quite a bit: Good writing, decent stories, good animation, the shows are funny and sometimes makes me cry, too. I also enjoyed the movie.

***"Bleach?...I may give it a second chance but I'm in no rush to see it.

Dennis

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jrm102 on Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:00 pm

On your recommendation Denis, I will absolutely take a look at R.O.D the series. It sound very interesting plus there is the original paper master herself that shows up half way through the series too. What can I say, it sounds like a winner no matter what.
Jrm102
Regular Poster

Postby Dennis Kininger on Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:12 pm

Hey thanks!

Yeah, the OVA is still better but the series has many good moments. I just would've taken the story in a different direction, if I were the writer, is all.

I hope you enjoy it.

Dennis

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dennis Kininger on Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:22 am

Hey, I'll be doing my EIGHTH anime festival at the library on April 15!

I've no idea what to show yet but I usually manage to find something on the night before. :P

Dennis

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Re: Anime Festival 8!

Postby Dennis Kininger on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:35 pm

I had my eighth anime festival at the library today and it was the most successful one yet!

Yes, I had 19 people attend...usually these things draw single digit audiences.

Here's what I showed:

NOIR, episode 1...this is probably the only episode which doesn't require a long explanation of the intricate back story. Also, the kids were unfamiliar with the series and enjoyed it.

FULL METAL ALCHEMIST, episode 13...I had a craving for FMA and this was a typically good episode: Ed fights Mustang in that exhibition and the Scar plotline gets moving.

EXCEL SAGA, episode 14...Every episode of this is demented but always funny.

NEO RANGA, episode 1, 2...This has short episodes, so I showed two of them. I began watching this series years ago and lost track of it, so I decided to watch it again.

Dennis

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby ColonelMCmuf on Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:51 pm

good work D man.

ColonelMCmuf
Regular Poster

Postby Dennis Kininger on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:21 am

Thank you, sir!

I was pleased to see so many teenagers attend...could this mean they perceive me as being "cool"? :o

I'm not sure when the next festival will be. Summer will be here soon and people at work are usually on vacation and the kids are always coming and going...so perhaps the next festival will be in the fall.

Dennis

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby ColonelMCmuf on Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:30 pm

I think we're the only ones left.

ColonelMCmuf
Regular Poster

Postby Jrm102 on Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:56 am

I know that I am pretty new here but I still drop by every now and then. Right now I'm working odd hours so my schedule is kind of messed up. :D
Jrm102
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Noses Optional