Page 1 of 1

Once again, Gothy Mcgee!!!!

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:39 am
by Uncaringmachine
I'm back. Most of you probably don't even know it, but I did Gothy Mcgee back in 2005, but took a year and a half off to sort through life issues. Anyway, it's back, and it's here to stay. Gothy is a comic about a sorta depressed gothesque dude and his roommates. College roommate comic? Well, they aren't in college, but it's a humor comic about him and his friends sorta halfway based on real life events. I know all of these people. Names and events have been exaggerated for maximum pleasure! Enjoy and please critique good or bad. Honesty is the best policy in my opinion! Also I backdated six new comics for any of you who might have read the comic before. Oh, and I know that some of the new ones were scanned in using the wrong process so they are a bit faded looking, but I won't be doing them like that anymore. Thanks for reading!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, forgot to mention, I update every single darn day! That's right, a new comic seven days a week!

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:38 pm
by Invaderdavy
Hmm... Not bad. =)
It does get a bit corny at times, but all the gothy woe and gangsta bling makes up for it.

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:45 pm
by Uncaringmachine
Not that I mind criticism in any form, but I was just wondering what about the comic struck you as corny. I know it's corny sometimes, but my corniness and your corniness might be different. And I'll stop saying corny now.

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:23 pm
by Invaderdavy
I'm not exactly sure, actually. It's just that some of the early comics (such as the A-Team once) struck me as being less funny. But then the "Buffy is on" one makes up for it.

I don't know. Early issues of webcomics tend to be less funny than issues at the point where the comic has reached its full potential, I guess. =)

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:28 pm
by Uncaringmachine
I know EXACTLY what you mean. I actually was going to delete like the first six comics because I know they suck, but then my brother told me I should leave them to show how far the comic has come. Thanks for the input!

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:20 am
by Glambourine
I like your art a lot, especially the cemetery sequence. That's the good part. The bad part: I'm not so much a fan of your writing.

Gothy and C. are essentially stereotypes. Gothy is depressed and likes the Cure; C is, um, a rapper. It works for a while, but then the material starts getting repetitive and I start skimming because I'm just not that invested in the characters. There's nothing to hold my interest about them.

In order to make the comic grow, stop and ask yourself who these people are, what's in their past, what makes them tick. It actually makes your job as a writer much easier, since you've got this rich character backstory and personality profile to work from when you're writing a strip. And it'll make your comic much more interesting, accessible (weirdly, making something complex often makes it more accessible), and deep.

Good luck--I did enjoy reading the archives, but I just wanted more out of them.

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:39 am
by Uncaringmachine
I know what you mean too. After writing three panel gags for so long, I started thinking that is this it? Maybe I need to delve into their pasts, and I did actually think of drawing some comics of them when they were younger, to see how they got to where they are now. Thanks for the input, I'll definitely take it into consideration.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:36 pm
by Uncaringmachine
blah blah yadda yadda.....

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:50 am
by Dutch!
Oh. Is that Goth for 'blatant bump'? ;)

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:10 am
by Glambourine
There actually is a language called Gothic! It has its own alphabet and everything

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:42 pm
by Uncaringmachine
Sorry :oops: . I just wish more people would review it. But, you don't always get what you wish for.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:46 am
by Redtech
Uncaringmachine wrote:Sorry :oops: . I just wish more people would review it. But, you don't always get what you wish for.
Maybe if I grant yours, then I can get <i>what I want?</i>

Heh, naturally biased!

Anyway, your art style makes me smile, it's something that easily translates to a paper medium, obviously. For some reason, I kinda prefer when your art was greyscale (aka badly scanned!) rather than black and white. Something is lost in translation and the lines aren't quite as well done at times, but I think you're catching up on that?

Site design works. I think it's to its benefit that it is so simple, it's non-diverting and everything leads to somewhere obviously, which fits the theme well.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:30 pm
by Uncaringmachine
Thanks redtech! I needed that. Anyway, so what was it that you wanted....bwahahaha.....