http://www.bigfishcomic.com/
it's pretty much a slice-of-life/self-insertion type comic...although I'm not sure I want to keep it that way. Also, there are some problems differentiating between stuff because of the fact that there is no line-art which I've been working to resolve. In the meantime, it is what it is. (<--top chef quote)
Note for 56kers, site is flash-heavy.
please read and critique, all comments are appreciated!
Big Fish Comic
-
Bigfishcomic
- Newbie
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:41 pm
- Contact:
Hi, Big fish! I love the site design. It is very unusual without being "out there", if you know what I mean.
And your art style is really fun. I agree with the need for a little line work for definition. I dont' have enough experience to comment on techinical stuff, but I find the simplistic style very appealing.
As for the comic itself, those strips I read, I really enjoyed. I closed out the window else I would give you some specific examples of which strips I particularly liked.
I think I would have read more of the strips, though, had navigation through the archives been a bit easier. Having links and new windows felt "clunky" and I would have much preferred a "next" button. That is my only negative comment with respect to the site itself.
And your art style is really fun. I agree with the need for a little line work for definition. I dont' have enough experience to comment on techinical stuff, but I find the simplistic style very appealing.
As for the comic itself, those strips I read, I really enjoyed. I closed out the window else I would give you some specific examples of which strips I particularly liked.
I think I would have read more of the strips, though, had navigation through the archives been a bit easier. Having links and new windows felt "clunky" and I would have much preferred a "next" button. That is my only negative comment with respect to the site itself.
- Mr. Caravaggio
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 377
- Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 11:28 pm
I have to agree and disagree with the above.
I wouldn't bother with line work, we need more comics without it, especially since it's so easy in flash. Maybe just a single secondary shading color will help define objects more.
I do have to add 1 vote to a new interface though, as much as I like flash I also like html pages that I can bookmark.
The style is really nice, the colors all kind of meld, but not too much, it's a nice constant saturation. But you might try lessening the smoothness of your brush to make some of the lines even simpler and less shaky. I could also say something about anatomy, but I don't think this is the kind of comic that requires realism. You'll refine it naturally over time on your own.
I wouldn't bother with line work, we need more comics without it, especially since it's so easy in flash. Maybe just a single secondary shading color will help define objects more.
I do have to add 1 vote to a new interface though, as much as I like flash I also like html pages that I can bookmark.
The style is really nice, the colors all kind of meld, but not too much, it's a nice constant saturation. But you might try lessening the smoothness of your brush to make some of the lines even simpler and less shaky. I could also say something about anatomy, but I don't think this is the kind of comic that requires realism. You'll refine it naturally over time on your own.
agh.. nevermind the comic. My firefox hates your javascript:

:/ can't see a darn thing. Would've been nice if there was an alternative version of the homepage that is java free.

:/ can't see a darn thing. Would've been nice if there was an alternative version of the homepage that is java free.
I'M MAKING A GAME | GALLERY | The old webcomic:http://www.skimlines.com | [url=irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace]irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace[/url]
-
Bigfishcomic
- Newbie
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:41 pm
- Contact:
I think there's a completely clean html version on DrunkDuck actually...I just forgot about it until this moment. Heh. I need to update that one.
http://www.drunkduck.com/Big_Fish_Comic/
so sorry about the navigation/browser troubles. My webpage knowledge is that of a 5 year old so it's going to be a slow ride. I'm still trying to figure out how to make a first and last link on the comic page.
thanks for the pointers about style...I'll try shading. I've been avoiding shading because I...can't...shade but practice will make perfect. I'll try messing with the brush too.
ah, you guys are so useful! <3
http://www.drunkduck.com/Big_Fish_Comic/
so sorry about the navigation/browser troubles. My webpage knowledge is that of a 5 year old so it's going to be a slow ride. I'm still trying to figure out how to make a first and last link on the comic page.
thanks for the pointers about style...I'll try shading. I've been avoiding shading because I...can't...shade but practice will make perfect. I'll try messing with the brush too.
ah, you guys are so useful! <3
