Paladins' Haven

This is where you advertise your webcomic to your new audience, and get it reviewed by the community. Read the rules before pitching.
Quoting_mungo
Regular Poster

Paladins' Haven

Post by Quoting_mungo »

My Mon-thru-Fri comic is turning 140 strips this Monday.

<a href="http://paladin.comicgenesis.com">Paladins' Haven</a> is written and drawn by me (with the occassional guest appearance or story suggestion by friends of mine), and has been running daily in color since May or so. Update commentary can be found on <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/~erigineea">LiveJournal</a> at the pace sequential arts school leaves me with time to write it.

It is a long-running story, featuring a wide range of characters, from assassins and Paladins to talking equines and strange hybrid creatures, not all of them capable of keeping their own skins intact. The current storyline is "Intervention at White Sow" and features, among other things, a village of retired mercenaries, protected by a powerful deity.

Language, blood, violence and some sexual references are to be expected.

-Alexandra

Simbot

Post by Simbot »

First up, it is delightfully drawn. You clearly have skills m'dear. It reminds me of my favourite anime as a child- a movie called @The Last Unicorn@. I love so many of your cute creatures.

I also like elements of how you've played with the layout. The recurring motif of people and animals riding together in profile (can't think of a better way to describe it) lends a nice consistency.

On the other hand, I had trouble following the story. I didn't really feel engaged with your characters or compelled to keep reading. Often I would flick through and just admire the drawing. The layout could be a bit stronger too. The characters are often floating about with no background or frames to delineate them.

I hope this has helped you and not just made you feel crap. I really liked the potential you have there and would never want to discourage you...
Comics contain nudity, sexual references, drug use and coarse language.
You must be 18 kiddies.
http://notatthisaddress.blogspot.com/

Simbot

Post by Simbot »

A quick question- does chinchilla breeding lead to insanely cute art? If so, I want one :D
Comics contain nudity, sexual references, drug use and coarse language.
You must be 18 kiddies.
http://notatthisaddress.blogspot.com/

Quoting_mungo
Regular Poster

Post by Quoting_mungo »

Aww, thank you, that's high praise indeed! I actually drew heavily from that movie when I designed the lattest-introduced 'critter' -- the grey-and-white female thing with horns in the most recent strips.

Background and frames don't agree with me, a lot of the time. One thing I'm hoping to get over as the school year progresses -- I have an idea to remedy that, but I want to stay with this throughout this storyline, to keep things consistient. I think this storyline should last pretty much to the end of the year, then I'll start up the second, and things should get better.

Or so I hope.

Thanks again for the comments!

(And breeding chinchillas just drives you nuts. But you'd have to be nuts to spend half your weekend drowning in marker fumes, so I suppose it does help.)

-Alexandra

Xavier
Regular Poster

Post by Xavier »

your art is great, (looks like ink, right?) and it's all so clean. that makes it nice to look at.

i'm having trouble with the motion of the comic, though. i understan that you don't have panels, and that the action is supposed to flow through the image, but sometimes it isn't all the way clear. (i know that it's hard, as i try to do this in my own comic)

the story makes sence to me, although i really had to concentrate to read everything. as the comics go on, you get a lot better at meshing text and images.

make those transitions better, and everything will fall into place.

-X

Akujintails
Regular Poster

Post by Akujintails »

Your animal character thingys all look realistic enough, yet they're cuter than what real animals look like, nyu :) Also, good colouring skills to compliment the nifty drawings.

Backgrounds you don't like. . . is it because it interferes with whats happening to make it look slightly more confusing? If that is why, you could always slightly blur it, nyu... But if that isn't the case, just ignore that :) It's probably a matter of preference in any case, nyu.
>:3

Quoting_mungo
Regular Poster

Post by Quoting_mungo »

Art is inked with Microns and colored with Copic sketch markers. Darn things are worth the insane price tag, that's one thing for sure.

Between the previous incarnation of PH going on hiatus and my starting this up around New Year's, I didn't do comics much at all for around, oh... Two years, give or take a bit. That probably is part of why it's kind of 'stiff' in the beginning. It should fall into place over time, though, or so I hope... I have a friend nagging me to plan things out more than I do, so we'll see if that helps, as well.

I very rarely use photo references for animals (I did for the baby llama I have in one strip, but I ended up almost completely scrapping what I saw and just drawing based on the llama I'd already done, after all) I like, and so far, I've only been drawing animals I'm fond of. That makes them cute, since they're all adorable in my mind.

My main issue with backgrounds is mainly that I can't draw them for the life of me. I wish I could blame it on them making things busy (I tried... People saw through that excuse pretty quickly.), but it really mostly is me not having a grasp of what a proper amount of effort is. I have a commission-in-progress that does have a background, and I spent around an hour or more drawing individual flowers on it.

-Alexandra