Everyone Cheers! :)

This is where you advertise your webcomic to your new audience, and get it reviewed by the community. Read the rules before pitching.

Postby Jan on Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:13 am

patahern wrote:i just bought a fat sack of weed tonight

This will let you make strips, nobody understands but you, which is fun while you are at it, but makes you frustrated later on. At least in my experience. The quality of my work got way better once I stayed sober. And I had a lot, I know what I am talking of.

For your work: I like the way you mix background with lineworks. Aestetically quite intriguing. I think it would drift better, if there was a common element to the strips. It would also heighten your chance to place a hook in your reader's mouth.
--
Jan

Otakoo Saloon Cartoon! New every monday.
Jan

Postby Legmuscle on Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:29 am

I think all of the comics were amusing on one level or another, even if sometimes the punchline is awkward. The style, which I can only describe as vaguely psychedelic, is a little busy but it is very original and does have a lot of potential. If nothing else, it makes your comic stand out among the hordes and hordes of gag strips out there.

A couple of things I'd work on, though: At times your characters lack structure and are sometimes a little bit squooshy looking. I understand that you're using a minimalist style that relies a lot on negative space, but it looks like you're just trying to draw the finished product rather than laying down a structure in light pencil before you begin. When you draw without an underdrawing you can get stuff like eyes not lining up right or arms that look like they have no bones.

I think your best comic, visually anyway, was the first one. There is some nice use of negative space there, and you can still tell what the shapes are supposed to be with the objects that are not outlined.

A comic that doesn't work so well is the one where the kid is in bed dying. We see the mother in profile but the coloured outline doesn't match up with the black areas that you've drawn for the eyes nose and mouth. It doesn't look like she has a neck. It seems like you drew the black outline and added the colour later. If you'd done an outline of what the whole face was going to look like first, then decided what was going to have a black outline and what wasn't, it probably would have turned out better.

Sorry if it seems like I was dwelling on the negative here, but it's hard to explain drawing techniques without using pictures. I really do like the comic and I hope you continue.
Legmuscle
Regular Poster

Postby Yeahduff on Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:54 am

Stolle wrote:A reprimand! Wooohoo! :D

Glad to have a cheering section.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby Thirdworldvillian on Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:42 am

*Boyish snickering*

uh yah the art reminds me of those old 50s strips but I found the jokes to be not all that funny.
Thirdworldvillian
Regular Poster

Postby Grabmygoblin on Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:05 am

I understood the humor. very out there. gave me a chuckle.
Grabmygoblin
Cartoon Hero

Postby KODAMA on Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:26 am

Ryuko wrote:But aside from all that, it's really difficult to tell how the comic's going to go with only 9 comics in the archive.

second that. I like it so far though. :D
I think it'd be cool to put comics like these on napkins or shirts.. heh
KODAMA
Spodama Mon

Postby Jackhass on Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:33 pm

I actually really liked it...the punchlines are so silly you can't help but laugh. But they're not totally bizarre or senseless either.

As for the art...it's certainly unique. I'm trying to decide whether I actually like it or not though. I'm leaning towards thinking it's quite good though.

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero

Postby Patahern on Wed May 04, 2005 2:23 pm

http://www.thefriendsociety.com/everyon ... 050504.png
updATE

edit/yeahduff/ image size too big.
Patahern

Postby JLrep on Wed May 04, 2005 8:17 pm

I dunno if I'm tired tonight or somethnig, but I only got about half the jokes...
JLrep
Regular Poster

Postby Patahern on Thu May 05, 2005 8:12 am

theyre all common sence stuff

yea youre probably tired

:(
Patahern

Postby JLrep on Thu May 05, 2005 7:33 pm

I don't get #1, 2, 4, 5 or 12. O_o
JLrep
Regular Poster

Postby Patahern on Fri May 06, 2005 7:44 am

theres a wrong variable where it counts the first comic as #0, even though there is no number 0.

therefor i dont know wtf youre talking about.

maybe you cloud link to the individual strips ? i appreciate this and i will explain the joke and premise of the strip and you can tell me how to improve.
Patahern

Postby JLrep on Fri May 06, 2005 12:16 pm

I didn't pay attention to the supposed page numbers, I just counted.

But, ok, to take an example, the first one.

Son: "Dad, I made you this plane in class."
Father: "Let me see, son."
*Father sees rather obvious "bought at the mall" tag*
*Father has look of shock*

Not to be rude, but I can't find anything funny there, unless there's some reference I'm unaware of...
JLrep
Regular Poster

Postby Patahern on Fri May 06, 2005 3:50 pm

well he told his dad he made the plane for him in class, but when he gave it to him, its obvious to the father that it was bought at the mall, and not handmade. the dumb kid even left the tag from the mall on it!

its supposed to be funny because thats an awkward/unusual sitation and the last frame is supposed to show that.
Patahern

Postby Subhuman on Fri May 06, 2005 5:27 pm

That's still not funny. "Oh, he bought the plane at a store! He's lazy! Geddit? Comedy!" Gag strips need an actual gag.
Subhuman
Cartoon Hero

Postby Patahern on Fri May 06, 2005 5:39 pm

naw man than i guess its not a gag strip.

some of the humor is supposed to be in the (is the kid lying on purpose he dosent seem to be).

its a simple joke, with a punchline sorta. i mean i dont see the confusion. i 'm doing one right now that i think will be a real solid and widely accepted and liked comic (haha, i mean comparitively ?). i'll post it here when im done. like the black and white version, early. or something.

i don't know. looking back on these comics theres very few im proud of in every aspect. i can't really pick a favorite or a best one, and the ones i do prefer, i dont like artistically, and i really messed it up there.

i'm going to keep making some or at least try, so its fine if you dont like any of these yet but please keep reading at least i guess :) :\

:)
Last edited by Patahern on Fri May 06, 2005 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patahern

Postby Legmuscle on Fri May 06, 2005 8:09 pm

I thought the fact that the tag literally said "Bought at the Mall" instead of being a price tag was funny in and of itself. :D
Legmuscle
Regular Poster

Postby Yeahduff on Fri May 06, 2005 9:39 pm

Explaining humor rarely works.

There are obviously gags here, so it's a matter of whether you find them funny or not. I personally don't like the execution, but the situations certainly have comic potential.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby Patahern on Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:30 pm

http://www.thefriendsociety.com/everyonecheers/
http://www.thefriendsociety.com/everyon ... 050701.png

new one. i'd love to hear what you think

edit/yeahduff/ image far too large for the forum.
Patahern

Postby Blackaby on Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:42 am

I've been recommended this comic before, and liked it - reminded me of PBF as well, actually, and also weirdly Red Meat. Really dig the art - I mean, it's totally classic. If I had any criticisms I guess they would be that some comics are funnier than others (eh, bad criticism, I know) but the thing I've found is that some people who I've shown EC to find the comics I don't laugh at hysterically funny.

For some reason reading EC makes me sad though. :( In fact, every time I read them, I feel the urge to put on the Smiths... which I just have.
LOOK AT BLACKABY HE IS FILLED WITH TEH SCREAMY OMG
guest artists get free puppies
Blackaby
Regale her

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Pitching