Someplace Else

This is where you advertise your webcomic to your new audience, and get it reviewed by the community. Read the rules before pitching.
Banov
Regular Poster

Someplace Else

Post by Banov »

Hey everyone!

My comic is pretty near brand new, with like.....9 pages so far in it, 3 of which are holiday comics or something. But still! Anyone who has read this has to admit that in only a few comics the story really goes far...

http://someplace.keenspace.com

Please tell me what you think!
Also, for those of you too lazy to read the news, I may change the art style in future comics......so, see what you think, and tell me if you think I should switch!

Oualawouzou
Cartoon Cop (Moderator)
Cartoon Cop (Moderator)

Post by Oualawouzou »

First, glad to see you've solved your imagesn-not-appearing problem you had a while back. :)

If I may ask, are your current strips drawn with a mouse in Paint or something like that? Because seriously, uh, the drawings do not look very good... I do believe the hand drawn stuff you posted is a step in the right direction. By all means, I'd switch to that new style.

Also, I'd suggest avoiding little "funnies" like that "bonus frame" and the arrow identifying something as "some girl's hair". These tricks can be funny, but they're hard to succesfully pull off. The bonus frame screams "I screwed up the page layout and needed to fill that blank" and the hair arrow screams "I ran out of space to establish that thingy as another character". Take time to think about your page set-up. Don't be afraid to erase. Most people start by making "stick figures" or other placeholders for characters to make sure they can fit all they want in a given frame.

Last thing would be to tone down the bright colors. Ow. Eyes hurt.

But there are some things I do like in your comic. I like the "duplicate" monsters, they're spot on the half scary half goofy look of old RPGs. :) Doing another RPG parody is risky, but I think you might pull it off if you keep at it.

Banov
Regular Poster

ok

Post by Banov »

thanks! ill be sure to change the style, for sure now. But, um, I already have quite a few comics pre-drawn in paint.....like all the way up to mid-january. But, I'll start doing my comics in that style, and eventually they'll show up. as for the colors, I'll go back and try to fill in the backgrounds with some darker colors.

Thnaks for the tips!

Banov
Regular Poster

oh yeah

Post by Banov »

oh, and, um, about the filler panel and arrow thing.....those werent actually supposed to be funny...i actually did put in the extra panel because I had too much space and wanted the comic to end at just the right moment. And the arrow was because someone who read it told me they had no idea what that was, so i tried to explain it. I'll try harder to make my stuff more clear.

Theflyingkitty
Regular Poster

---

Post by Theflyingkitty »

You have a great start, one which I think will mature wonderfuly over time.

I would however shrink the size of the two figures you have near the bottom of the front page. You know, the cool hand-drawn ones.

You could also add links to them in their bigger size. All that scrolling takes up a ton of page, when it shouldn't.

TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

It's pretty funny so far. I liked the NPC strip the best so far.

I'd definitely go with the hand drawn and colored imagery. The current color choices in the comic right now are painful to the eyes. Also try drawing some backgrounds to establish the setting, as well as drawing characters from different angles.

You should spice up the costume designs too; the characters look kind of plain.

Banov
Regular Poster

Post by Banov »

Yeah, its already been decided that I will switch to the hand drawn. I've started drawing the comics that way. The official date that the site will catch up with me and the hand-drawn comics will appear is on the 29th of January >_>.

Also, I went back and changed the background colors for the old comics to darker colors. Hope it helps.

As for character design, I dont want to change the design for the current characters (cuz I like their costumes...), but Soon some more characters will show up with a slightly more interesting character design, if I do say so myself.

Keep giving me your feedback, guys! Its really helpful!

Banov
Regular Poster

Post by Banov »

Sorry, i messed up, the first hand-drawn comic will debut on the very first update of Feburary. Thats a kind of weird coincidence.....

I don't really want to, but maybe I should speed up the updates to 3 times a week until I get to the hand-drawn ones....what do you guys think?