Protect My Balls

This is where you advertise your webcomic to your new audience, and get it reviewed by the community. Read the rules before pitching.

Protect My Balls

Postby Protectmyballs on Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:29 pm

So, I've been drawing all my life. Doesn't mean I'm good at it, cause in reality, I blow. But its all I've ever done. Besides dance. Drawing and dancing, thats me.
Anyways, it took me until high school before I created a running set of characters I liked, and another year before my attention span grew to the point where I could spit out a coherent story-line. Now I'm in college, and am just now getting serious about a comic. Up until now it's been a hobby to show my friends during studyhall and whatnot.
I've got 30-some comics so far, wherein I go through three or four drawing styles.
Now I've settled on a style, and finalized the layout design, all I need is feedback from an audience. And an audience. Yeah.

<a href="http://protectmyballs.keenspace.com/">Protect My Balls</a> is the chronicling of an epic struggle between two heros, the likes of which this world has never seen. Or a loosely strung together series of jokes featuring ubiquitous penis and vagina humor and esoteric pop culture references. Probably the second one.
The current storyline follows two guys as they try to get their friend laid in hopes of averting global destruction. Ralph Macchio is helping them.

Kudos for reading this unnecessarily long pitch, and thanks for any feedback. In case the link above doesnt work, here's the URL: http://protectmyballs.keenspace.com
Protectmyballs
Cartoon Hero

OK!

Postby Cortland on Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:39 pm

I clicked through your strips, and I really like the manga type style you have going here. It's a style that's been repeatedly bastardized and mangled, but you've actually got a nice, consistent, and amusingly frantic variation going on here. Very good! I can tell you've been doing this for a while!

I'm not sure what you use to scan your work, but I recommend getting Photoshop or one of its equivalents (Faub, this is your cue to plug the GIMP!) and figure out a way to get some contract in your drawings. The background seems to be a washed-out tornado-sky green, and the pencil marks aren't as dark as they should be. You may want to consider getting a good pen to ink your stuff--that's what the pros do. Also, see if you can try a font other than Arial. There are some very nice and absolutely free comic-style fonts out there you can use for lettering, and they might look a bit more professional.

Anyway, you're off to a great start. Keep going! 8)
Image Image
Cortland
Cartoon Hero

Postby Protectmyballs on Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:46 pm

I just scan them straight from my sketchbook, then use MSPaint to put text in. I have photoshop, but I'm usually too lazy (full time job, family things, etc) to put in those finishing touches by the time I get a comic drawn. What is Gimp, also. I've heard of it before.

Thanks for the feedback/advice

--Jed
Protectmyballs
Cartoon Hero

Postby CapitanG on Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:50 pm

Just as a note, even if you don't want to spend much time on it after-scan, I recommend using Photoshop to add the text; it's much cleaner and more versatile than Paint.

That being said, I like the art.
CapitanG
Regular Poster

Postby Mr.Bob on Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:11 am

I was expecting Mcduffies to be mentioned somewhere here...
Mr.Bob
:(
:(

Postby Cheezy WEAPON on Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:13 pm

I like it. It's not afraid to show a nice pair of alien boobs where needed.

Also, I went through the archives.. It's nice to see some experimentation from pixel to color to pencil. ^ ^

Some useless tips: If you color somethin', just plop the lineart on a seperate layer, put it on top of everything else (make it on Multiply), and color on the layers underneath it. It's much easier than filling it in and making the white fringes everywhere.

What IS gimp anyways? I hope it's not something I use to protect my lawn from rabid gnomes..
Cheezy WEAPON

Postby YarpsDat on Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:34 pm

GIMP

though, you could have just used google, it's usually faster than asking.
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."

"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.
YarpsDat
Cartoon Hero

I NEED HELP ON THIS SITE>_<

Postby Hakubaikou on Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:10 pm

can someone, or some guy help me PWEASE>_< im totally lost on this thing, i need a complete walk through :cry:
Hakubaikou

Postby DEVO-Bot on Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:27 pm

I dig. Keep it up!
Drawing backgrounds couldn't hurt either.
<KensouX> DEVO-Bot spouts out the mad phrases, tweekin' your brain harder than 35 cocaine cases.
[url=http://orbvs.keenspace.com]Image

Now Alive Again[/url]
DEVO-Bot
Regular Poster

Return to Comic Pitching