Orange Penguins

This is where you advertise your webcomic to your new audience, and get it reviewed by the community. Read the rules before pitching.

Orange Penguins

Postby OrangePenguins on Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:54 pm

The comic that has nothing to do with penguins or oranges!

So a couple of years ago I read through the Sluggy Freelance archives for the first time and got to thinking, I could "publish" something fairly easily just like this! On top of that, I need some way to force myself to draw more regularly to improve my style, especially on human figures. (It has helped a lot, but I suppose you don't see it so much in the comic itself. I've been trying to spend more time being careful about my line work recently.)

Two years down the road and here I am. I'd like to think the art in the comic has improved in the past few weeks. First of all, Forgive me for the sheer size of the earlier strips, I need to go back and shrink them some day...

Anyway, About the comic itself,
If you're familiar with Sluggy Freelance, Orange Penguins has a similar sense of humor. The strip is mainly about a bunch of college kids leasing a house together and the bizarre stuff that happens around where they live. Things like mysterious demonic turtles and won't let go of the couch, trips to hidden paths of trials through a mountain in England, and accidental trips to an alternate dimension where they meet an alien bounty who's hunter after a transforming jewel thief. The jokes primarily center around stuff that happens in the comic itself, and pop-culture references are rare. I try to keep it mostly gag-a-day (or week, whatever) while following a storyline, though at some point in the future I plan to have a few storylines that aren't purely humor-oriented. The strip has barely begun to flex its storytelling muscles yet.
The characters are:
Rand, a boy who has had very unusual things follow him through life.
Krista, a young student of the arts of the ninja chef.
Rick, a guy who's always eating and occaisional goes off on some bizarre project.
Mia, a girl who seems quite used to all of the weird things that go around.
Carl, Rand's cousin, a demon hunter who's crashing at their house for a while.
Thatch, a cat-like alien bounty hunter they accidnetally brought home from another dimension. Comes with Clyde, the navigational droid.

And, well, I think the main thing the comics needs at this point in its life is MORE READERS! So check it out, if you like it spread the word and post on the boards.

And here's the link.
http://orangepenguins.keenspace.com
OrangePenguins

Postby Grayswandir on Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:21 pm

I like the humor and its well written and has great detail in the drawings. Of course, being your friend, I am slightly biased. :)
I would suggest getting a tablet to use when you draw the strip on the computer. It might make it easier to draw stuff. :)
Otherwise, great!
Tank'd-Clogging the gutter and loving it...
I love children, I just can't eat a whole one.
Grayswandir
Regular Poster

Location: running rampant in the bowels of human stupidity...

Postby OrangePenguins on Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:37 am

Yeah, I think it'd take me a while to get used to drawing on the computer. 'Course, I did a fairly good job drawing on the mouse in that one art class....

And what the heck's it take to get some acknowledgement, let alone a review, around here?
OrangePenguins

Postby Grayswandir on Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:23 am

Remember, it does take people a while to read 170+ comic strips...

Also, if you wanted critique, etc. you should've posted this in Tips & Techniques...

:)
Tank'd-Clogging the gutter and loving it...
I love children, I just can't eat a whole one.
Grayswandir
Regular Poster

Location: running rampant in the bowels of human stupidity...

Postby Resolve on Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:41 pm

You have a quirky sense of humor, and I have to say you've improved alot from your earlier strips. I really shouldn't talk (but that never stops me), but your comic would look nicer if your lines were straighter.

and your background reminds me of orange julius's... mmmm so delicous yet gross at the same time... Ummm orange julius's not your background.
"If all else fails let's go to Old Mexico."
Familiarblue I am Macdoogle
Resolve
Regular Poster

Return to Comic Pitching