Wanna see a Van Helsing that doesn't suck?

This is where you advertise your webcomic to your new audience, and get it reviewed by the community. Read the rules before pitching.

Wanna see a Van Helsing that doesn't suck?

Postby Patachu on Mon May 17, 2004 10:53 am

School Spirit Hunter Ashley

Ashley Van Helsing. Modern-day descendant of Abraham Van Helsing. Ditzy American teenybopper AND vampire hunter fated to protect the world from the undead menace. ... No combination could be worse.

If you've been burned out by too many self-righteous, overly serious vampire tales, and prefer off-kilter humor and way too much geekiness, this comic is for you.
Patachu
Regular Poster

Postby TheBladeRoden2 on Mon May 17, 2004 10:54 am

Related to Buffy by any chance?
"i just want to get back to life, but for that i just need to get dead" -boby
JR Productions Risen: The Forum
TheBladeRoden2
Regular Poster

Postby Patachu on Mon May 17, 2004 1:24 pm

My greatest fear has always been that the story will hew to close to Buffy, but seeing as I never watched the show, I hope it doesn't.
Patachu
Regular Poster

I was reading the comic

Postby Porcelain on Mon May 17, 2004 6:29 pm

Well, I was reading your comic.. And I love your backgrounds. =) They're absolutely wonderful. ^_^ The characters could use a little work (sometimes, you can't even tell the difference between them), but other than that, awesome!

I think it's interesting to see such a girly girl hunter.. Kind of odd that she's constantly talking about N'Sync or whatever. T_T Almost annoyingly odd.. But different! And that's what counts. ;x Congrats on the comic! =)
Porcelain
Regular Poster

Postby Yeahduff on Mon May 17, 2004 8:02 pm

You're all too young to have seen the movie aren't you?

God, that's depressing.

*puts cucumbers on eyes*
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby Porcelain on Mon May 17, 2004 8:07 pm

I don't know. O_o If it's rated R, probably (I'm only turning 17 soon). But if it's PG .. Uhh.. I'm in. >=)
Porcelain
Regular Poster

Postby Yeahduff on Mon May 17, 2004 8:12 pm

No, I mean the movie that came out several years before the series and was all goofy and campy that somehow inspired a dark weird WB show.

Sigh.

Do you even know who Luke Perry is?
Yeahduff

Postby Porcelain on Mon May 17, 2004 8:16 pm

The name sounds familiar.. *Gives chin a scratch.* I'll google him! >=D!

*After ten miraculuous seconds -- witness the power of google!*

Oooh! You mean Luke from the original Buffy? Yeah, I saw that... I like the original better than the WB series. =\ The vampires were 'soo' much more gorgeous... *Gurgle-drool.* Not to mention, Luke Perry's got a killer smile. Mm.. Beverly Hills 90210. XD
Porcelain
Regular Poster

Postby TimberWolf on Mon May 17, 2004 8:29 pm

Porcelain wrote:I don't know. O_o If it's rated R, probably (I'm only turning 17 soon). But if it's PG .. Uhh.. I'm in. >=)

Wait a sec... someone who follows the guidelines? Your not from America are you?
*Realizes he has less free time now that school is over.*
TimberWolf
Regular Poster

Postby Yeahduff on Mon May 17, 2004 9:33 pm

So anyway, School Spirit Hunter Ashley.

It's cute. You have an audience out there, I'm sure. Better than I expected it to be.
Yeahduff

Postby Phalanx on Tue May 18, 2004 1:50 am

Out of curiosity, anyone here actually read Bram Stroker's Dracula before?
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby BOMC on Tue May 18, 2004 2:34 am

yeahduff wrote:You're all too young to have seen the movie aren't you?

God, that's depressing.

*puts cucumbers on eyes*

Hey, I'm only 18 and I've seen the movie. It's one of my all time faves, my dad showed it to me when I was little (In fact, he showed me a lot of movies he shouldn't have. That explains a lot....). Anyways, it's the reason I could never get into the show, becayse all I can think about while trying to watch it is how much better the movie was.

And now ON topic. School Spirit Hunter Ashley, not bad. You have a ton of comics already on the site, which is great. I agree with Porcelain that the characters could use a little work, maybe flesh them out, give them some more distinguishing characteristics. The plot can be a little... unrealistic at times. I mean, why would the mother ask Ashley's friend to come along to kill the vampire? I'm pretty sure most parents would put their's kids friends' lives in danger without some parental permission slips going on...

I have to say, though, that one line made me laugh out loud. In comic 69, "and if the Lord told you to jump off a cliff....", I admit that I snorted very loudly while reading that.
-Grace (BOMC)
BOMC
Cartoon Hero

Postby Warren on Tue May 18, 2004 6:06 am

yeahduff wrote:You're all too young to have seen the movie aren't you?

God, that's depressing.

*puts cucumbers on eyes*

I've got one better for you...

So it's 1991, and I'm working a suck-ass "Burger King" job. We have the radio playing in the background, and the song is "Bohemian Rhapsody".

Jocelyn walks in, smiles, and purrs "Bohemian Rhapsodyyyyyy". I've always hated the song, so I glare at her and say "Yeah. This song's about as old as God."

She blinks, and says "You mean they didn't record it for 'Wayne's World'?"

I though she was kidding.

She wasn't.
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
Proudly despised by ex-wives since 2008.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care
Warren
Cartoon Hero

Postby Pixeechuu on Tue May 18, 2004 6:59 am

yeahduff wrote:No, I mean the movie that came out several years before the series and was all goofy and campy that somehow inspired a dark weird WB show.

Sigh.

As a Buffy fan, I feel compelled to correct you.

The movie did not inspire the TV show, since both were orchestrated by the same man: Joss Whedon. Whedon wanted to make something about a young blond girl with almost no ambition who suddenly gets the fate of the world thrown on her. He wanted to tear down the standard of the little blond walking into an alley and getting massacred by the monster. He wanted her to walk into an alley and massacre.

The movie, unfortunately, sucked some major suckage. Whedon was almost tossed out of the creative process, leaving Kaz Kuzui and Fran Rubel Kuzui in charge. They took his idea and bastardized it. So when Whedon got a chance to turn "Buffy" into a TV series, he did it.

So, it wasn't "inspired by" the movie. It was meant to replace the movie with Whedon's real ideas for the character.

Buffy fans are scary.

And on topic, I agree with the others--character designs could use some work, but there are some good things going for this comic. Keep working and don't give up.

- PChuu!
Roommates aren't always what you'd hoped them to be.
[Et-Cetera - a Web comic about a regular girl living a regular life with irregular people]
Pixeechuu

Postby Mr.Bob on Tue May 18, 2004 9:13 am

Phalanx wrote:Out of curiosity, anyone here actually read Bram Stroker's Dracula before?

*waves*
Mr.Bob
:(
:(

Postby TheBladeRoden2 on Tue May 18, 2004 10:40 am

Buffy fans are scary.

And some are scary looking!

:oops: (closest I can manage to a scared face)
"i just want to get back to life, but for that i just need to get dead" -boby
JR Productions Risen: The Forum
TheBladeRoden2
Regular Poster

Postby Patachu on Tue May 18, 2004 11:25 am

Thanks for the comments, all! And also the ... not-so-commenty-comments. FWIW, I did read Stoker's book before starting the comic, as I needed some sort of jumping-off point ... and I saw the ol' Buffy movie when I was a wee one. I certainly don't claim to be some Ph.D. on vampire lore, but I have enough of a passing knowledge to write a rather pointless farce about it. :P

I agree that there are plenty of improvements to be made with my comicking skills, but that's why I keep drawing them; I figure if I do it enough, something good will come out eventually.
Patachu
Regular Poster

Postby YarpsDat on Tue May 18, 2004 11:37 am

Mr.Bob wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Out of curiosity, anyone here actually read Bram Stroker's Dracula before?

*waves*

*joins mr.Bob*
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."

"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.
YarpsDat
Cartoon Hero

Postby Yeahduff on Tue May 18, 2004 10:35 pm

pixeechuu wrote:
yeahduff wrote:No, I mean the movie that came out several years before the series and was all goofy and campy that somehow inspired a dark weird WB show.

Sigh.

As a Buffy fan, I feel compelled to correct you.

The movie did not inspire the TV show, since both were orchestrated by the same man: Joss Whedon. Whedon wanted to make something about a young blond girl with almost no ambition who suddenly gets the fate of the world thrown on her. He wanted to tear down the standard of the little blond walking into an alley and getting massacred by the monster. He wanted her to walk into an alley and massacre.

The movie, unfortunately, sucked some major suckage. Whedon was almost tossed out of the creative process, leaving Kaz Kuzui and Fran Rubel Kuzui in charge. They took his idea and bastardized it. So when Whedon got a chance to turn "Buffy" into a TV series, he did it.

So, it wasn't "inspired by" the movie. It was meant to replace the movie with Whedon's real ideas for the character.

Yeah, but it was a lot easier to say it was inspired.

I haven't read Dracula, but Frankenstein was really good. Talk about bastardization.

And Warren wins.
Yeahduff

Postby Ranauxi on Wed May 19, 2004 7:19 am

I read a good majority of it, the prose was very difficult to get through. Im not big on diary format.
Ranauxi

Next

Return to Comic Pitching