Retro Sci-fi Webcomic

This is where you advertise your webcomic to your new audience, and get it reviewed by the community. Read the rules before pitching.

Retro Sci-fi Webcomic

Postby vorto on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:31 am

Your feedback and comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

http://unclerobot.com/comic/prison-asteroid-4234371

Vorto is an adventure strip centered around the notorious space-pirate, Emile Vorto, his companions, and the empire which has enslaved him. Vorto battles the pilots of the deadly Scorpio Squadron to win his freedom and that of the peoples of Orgom. This retro sci-fi webcomic updates weekly on Sundays.

vorto

Re: Retro Sci-fi Webcomic

Postby MichaelYakutis on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:56 pm

You had me hooked with "Retro Sci-Fi Webcomic" lol.

I was about to mention how the font in the comic is a tad too small, but then I clicked on an actual page of art and it expanded to full screen size....so I'll just shut up about that....

I think this comic has some great potential. I LOVE the art style you're going for. Indeed, very retro. Very Flash Gordon. I do think that it needs more refinement in some areas and maybe some more attention to anatomy in some areas, but I don't think you're too far away from perfection. Also, some of the panels have too much dead space in the backgrounds, but I love the color scheme. And I really like the way you incorporate the title into the first panel of each page.

I'm not trying to spam the thread or the site or anything, and I don't know the policy Comic Genesis has about linking to facebook (some forums forbid it), but I co-moderate a webcomic promotional group called Webcomic Underdogs. You should seriously come and join! - http://www.facebook.com/groups/webcomicunderdogs/

Anyways, awesome comic and I look forward to having the time to read all of it.
MichaelYakutis
Regular Poster

Postby vorto on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:58 pm

Thanks, Michael. Your comments are much appreciated.
vorto

Postby JSConner800 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:04 am

I like it! Your writing is solid, you've really nailed that retro style, and your site looks great. I love a good sci fi comic (I may be adding mine to yours in a week or so), and this one delivers. I'm curious, though - what's the purpose of the censored swearing? It's kind of jarring as it is, because it's so prevalent. Some lines are almost entirely made up of random symbols. It seems like, if you're trying to write a clean comic, you'll want to keep the swearing to a minimum in the first place, rather than just cover it all up with censorship. Alternatively, you can ease up on the censorship, since a lot of the words being replaced are safe even by network television standards. Like I said, I'm not sure what your goal is, so take this advice for what it's worth. I do think that the current trend with censored words is marring an otherwise stellar new comic, so you might want to do something about it.

Keep up the good work, and I'll be sure to keep reading!
My eternal schlong unravels - VeryCuddlyCornpone
JSConner800
Regular Poster

Postby vorto on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Hey, Conner. Thanks for checking Vorto out. I'm really glad you're enjoying it.

I'm using grawlix for a few reasons. I think it gives the strip a retro feel which is a big part of 'Vorto'. Grawlix is a time-honored tradition that dates back to the early 1900s. The first reported use of it was in a 1909 'Katzenjammer Kids' strip, which was also one of the first American newspaper comic strips.

It's been used throughout the comic history since to convey cursing without actually crossing the line. Comic artists from Charles Schulz to Bill Watterson have used grawlix. Historically this was done because it wasn't possible to swear in a newspaper strip. Often, as is the case with 'Vorto', the intended readership for a strip is a mixed market of kids and adults. Vorto is a gritty, nasty pirate who curses like one, but it's not practical to print cursing in the strip for all audiences.

Finally, and coincidentally, the word grawlix was coined by Mort Walker the creator of 'Beetle Bailey' and 'Hi and Lois' who was a graduate of the University of Missouri in Columbia where I live. So in that way it's an inadvertent homage.

I'd definitely like to hear more about what you think about this, and if anyone else has an opinion on the use of grawlix and their use in 'Vorto' I'd appreciate feedback. Thanks.

vorto

Postby JSConner800 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:28 pm

See, and I didn't even know it had a name. You've clearly thought this out a great deal, and if it's another deliberate nod to retro comic conventions (which I admit to being pretty ignorant about), then I think the grawlix is fine the way it is. Also, did I mention your site looks beautiful? It struck me again when I went back for another look. Really pro.
My eternal schlong unravels - VeryCuddlyCornpone
JSConner800
Regular Poster

Postby agedgeUnugs on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:34 am

It is very a pity to me, that I can help nothing to you. I hope, to you here will help.
agedgeUnugs

Postby vorto on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:17 pm

http://unclerobot.com/comic/full-color-promo-strip

Hi all. This is the new promo strip I just put together. I was going for a retro tv feel with it. Any comments or thoughts? Thanks.

vorto

Return to Comic Pitching