Robot the Pirate

This is where you advertise your webcomic to your new audience, and get it reviewed by the community. Read the rules before pitching.

Robot the Pirate

Postby robotthepirate on Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:45 am

Hey there all! So its finally happened: I've finished Chapter 1 of Robot the Pirate!

"Robot the Pirate is a lighthearted adventure that follows the efforts of a robot built with just one purpose; to be a pirate."
[Hmm, randomly cropped for some reason, oh well its not missing anything off 'cept my name]

It all begins right here: http://robotthepirate.comicgenesis.com/d/20091008.html and dispite having taken me a year and a half to make will probably only take about 5-10 minutes to read. :oops:

Give it a read and tell me what you think.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Re: Robot the Pirate

Postby Mastermind on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:02 am

I'll be following this one. I like how the epic verbose dialogue clashes with all the cuteness and simplicity. Also: a robot pirate. Hell yeah!
It's pretty fast paced so far, but I'm guessing that now that he's become a pirate the story will slow down to introduce the characters.
Keep up the good work!
Mastermind
Regular Poster

Postby robotthepirate on Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:55 pm

Thanks for the encouragement!

Do you think its too fast paced then? I do have a history of telling stories at too fast a pace.

Because I'm so restricted with work (and because I'm still very new at this and rather slow) as to how often I can update (every week and a half), I'm prone to wanting to move the story along quickly so that the regular readers have something to pull them along. This probably quickens the pace a fare bit.

My plans for Chapter 2 are pretty action based. I want to challenge myself not to have so many shots of people standing around talking. So hopefully I can explore their characters through extreme circumstances first before we hear the story of how they all came to be on the ship.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby Mastermind on Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:24 am

Well, it's not rushed from the reader's point of view but I'm planning to be careful with pace in my new comic, that's why I noticed this in yours. We don't want to reach the "ok, now what" point too soon, do we :wink:
Mastermind
Regular Poster

Postby robotthepirate on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:00 am

What do you mean? Like when I run out of storyline?
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby Mastermind on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:24 am

Yeah, although now that I think of it, the pace is not a huge problem if you set your characters some ultimate goal they will never reach. Sort of like Mario, speeding from one castle to another.
Mastermind
Regular Poster

Postby robotthepirate on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:54 am

Mastermind wrote:Yeah, although now that I think of it, the pace is not a huge problem if you set your characters some ultimate goal they will never reach. Sort of like Mario, speeding from one castle to another.

Yeah. Don't forget I can throw my characters to one of up to 210 different locations in the world for a convenient plot twist whenever I want to write it in. I'm not going to, but I could.

Storylines aren't something I'm worried about for now, certainly not at the speed I'm updating. I already have rough scripts penned for chapter 3 & 4 so hopefully by the time those are done I will have plenty more for the future.

I should point out that when the original concept for Robot The Pirate came up I'd just finished uni and was unemployed. I was watching far too much Star Trek! The whole thing lends itself to visiting strange places and meeting strange people whilst slowly developing the characters' pasts, motives and relationships.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby jorjastandish on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:21 pm

I like it. More please.
jorjastandish

Return to Comic Pitching