FBA...

This is where you advertise your webcomic to your new audience, and get it reviewed by the community. Read the rules before pitching.
User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

Comics that try and be controversial for the sake of controvery have a short shelf life, because their "artists" posess an even shorter attention span.
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

Monty
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:25 pm
Contact:

Post by Monty »

At last someone actually gave feedback that relates in some way to me personally. Unfortunately he's also right, but wrong in the sense that I am not doing this just for controversy, I'm doing it because I'm fucking bored and hate Drunkduck. My mission was simply to bring down the intellectual standards of online webcomics. Done and done. Plus I like pissing losers with nothing better to do off.
Thank Africa.

Full Blown AIDS

Spriteville, USA
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2060
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:14 pm

Post by Spriteville, USA »

monty wrote:Unfortunately he's also right, but wrong in the sense that I am not doing this just for controversy...
My mission was simply to bring down the intellectual standards of online webcomics. Done and done. Plus I like pissing losers with nothing better to do off.
Essentially a different type of controversy. Instead of specifically trying to piss of christians, you are trying to piss off "losers with nothing better to do". You're going for shock value, for some people you will get your desired result, but they will eventually stop reading. From others you simply won't get a strong reaction, and they will just not read.. Either way all you're going to do stop people from reading.

Monty
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:25 pm
Contact:

Post by Monty »

Offensive is not for shocking, its for humor, I and other likeminded people find offensive shit fucking hilarious...

and secondly, your opinion only half matters because you have anything to do with sprite comics.
Thank Africa.

Full Blown AIDS

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

There are ways to handle controversial material, and there are ways you don't. Shock value has to be handled with care for it to come off right.
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
Valuedan
Regular Poster
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:41 am
Location: Cheney
Contact:

Post by Valuedan »

Since when is shock value ever handled with care? If it was handled with care, it wouldn't be shocking.
Also, insulting Spriteville may get you some satisfaction, Monty, but all it will do is get everyone pissed off, and then some random person that you've never talked to is going to come into the thread and be all like "oh you're such a jerk I'm never going to read your comic and such," and then all this person's friends will come in and say the same thing because it's the new fad or something, and then you'll get all pissed off and say "screw everyone" and never post again. I've seen it happen, like, six times so far.
<a href="http://dansedansemacabre.net">Danse Danse Macabre</a> is pretty funny how about you go read it

User avatar
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)
Posts: 9158
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
Contact:

Post by Yeahduff »

Actually, shock MUST be handled with care. Obviously you're trying to piss someone off, so it's not care in that respect. It's care in that you try not to make yourself come off as a complete jackass, and care in picking the right targets. Care in knowing what lines to cross and which ones to watch. Knowing when to lay off before people become numb to it.
Image
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

Spriteville, USA
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2060
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:14 pm

Post by Spriteville, USA »

monty wrote:Offensive is not for shocking, its for humor, I and other likeminded people find offensive shit fucking hilarious...
The problem with shock for humor value is that it is face value, and it decreses with time. I mean how many times can I see the word "nigger" and actually gasp and go, "Oh man! I can't believe you went there!". After a while, the shock is just gone? I mean there is only so much out there to be offensive. After screaming "Aborted Fetuses" for hours on end, people just stop caring. The shock drains away and all you are left with is this empty shell of something whose only inherant value is not that you or your friends find it offense, but that if a pregnant single mom, or a black person were to read it that they would find it offensive. Shock has it's values, I'm often a fan of it myself, but I see it for what it is, and it's simply a rolling passing phase that is championed by a select few and emulated poorly by hundreds.

User avatar
Kris X
Forum Pocket Kitten
Posts: 2728
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:08 pm
Location: Forum Pocket.
Contact:

Post by Kris X »

Okay let's see here...

I agree with Sprite, shock value is easy losed and especially the idea of a shock comic has already been so many times over it becomes unoriginal after say the hundredth made comic, like gaming comics.

That being said, play nice--Don't make me tell you again. Sprite is helping you and making fun of his comics is uncool.

Now for info you wanted. I opened your comic up, looked at it a minute, then closed the window. People pull off shock comics, but honestly you'd do much better if you showed that you took time in making the comic. I can't read a majority of your comics because they are sloppy and haphazardly made. Sure we have out bad cmics, but you might benefit in tidying up your work. Appearance can be shocking and readable at the same time...Or else it's slop.
Image
PK Comics meets Gaming genre.

User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.
Contact:

Post by Mercury Hat »

I find some shocking things funny, but they have to be handled with care as yeahduff said.

Shock humor is often dependent upon the times. How many people will remember who Scott Peterson is in 10 years? Not to mention the fact that jokes about Scott Peterson are already old. It's like jokes about Lorena Bobbit, OJ Simpson, or Olliver North.

Also, the way I see it, there are three different kinds of readers out there:

--Readers who will find your material funny.
--Readers who won't find it funny/offensive and thus won't care.
--Readers who do find it offensive.

The majority of folks, especially if they've been online for a while, will fall into the second category when it comes to shock comics. They've seen the same things hundreds of times before. Yeah, there are going to be some people from category one just because there's something out there for everyone yadda yadda. The third is probably going to be the most rare because it's unlikely they'll be reading webcomics in the first place.

So I don't think you're "pissing people off", you're just boring them.

However, I do like the style you had for your random sketches. Just avoid lined paper :wink: .
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring

Monty
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:25 pm
Contact:

Post by Monty »

It's a damn good thing I didn't actually come here looking for fans. Also, for the record, I wasn't ripping on Spritevilles comic in paticular as I've never read the fucking thing, it could be genius for all I know. I was ripping on sprite comics in general because they just piss me off. Secondly, I've attempted to take a step back from purposely being offensive to just having a more fucked up sense of humor then sunday morning funnies in the paper (ie: it's not fucking garfield.) Stop making my comic out to be some attempt at gaining fanbase using shock value, I've long sense left that method behind (and half my fanbase with it.) My motives go no deeper then the fact that I have too much free time and enjoy making assholes laugh.

And finally I'd like to address the situation I've helped cause where the possibility of banning the pitching of outside comics comes into play with this:

Haha...you guys crack me up...

Both Keenspace and Drunkduck are flawed systems and make for shitty webcomic communities. But at least drunkduck doesn't cater strictly to stuckup yuppie artists with an imac up their ass and nerdy cartoonists who can barely take time out of their anime porn downloads to pump out a shitty photoshop 7 comic with more time put into the charectors hair then the story/joke.

Then again... I'm gay.
Thank Africa.

Full Blown AIDS

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Post by Phact0rri »

strange... I never thought DD or KS actually catered to anything. though they were just free places to put webcomics... hrrms.
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

Monty
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:25 pm
Contact:

Post by Monty »

Well we know you're an idiot. Even if I'm wrong about their catering to people like yourself, your statement contradicts itself in that you start by telling me that they cater to noone, and then follow that up by telling me that they cater to webcomic artists. Duh. My point was that the only welcome webcomics are shitty yuppie humor and manga bullshit.
Thank Africa.

Full Blown AIDS

User avatar
Oualawouzou
Cartoon Cop (Moderator)
Cartoon Cop (Moderator)
Posts: 1548
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:47 am
Contact:

Post by Oualawouzou »

I'm confused. Is that better or worse than catering to assholes?

PrincessJen
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:30 am

Post by PrincessJen »

I really like full blown aids, its funny, and pulls no punches from anyone. Even black people.

I feel kind of like this guy has, you all quickly judge my comic and get all up in my face saying how offensive and horrible I am, when you people don't even know me.

User avatar
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger
Posts: 6538
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Too Old for this Shit
Contact:

Post by CJBurgandy »

not sure if you have a valid point there. Nanda is a member on the forum who was welcomed with open arms and she draws a stick figure comic. It's not so much quality of your work that gets you loved by others, but how you treat them. If you're nice to others, others will be nice back. It's human nature.
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News

User avatar
Tynan
A REAL ADVEEEENTURERRRRRRR
Posts: 4214
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Adventuring
Contact:

Post by Tynan »

In response to your "Thank Africa" Saying I'm not going to thank them for you! My god what kind of a person just shoots off at the mouth like that? I run on at the mouth dont get me wrong..but holy god man! What is going in in that dome of yours?

Your acting like a little kid..not even your acting more like a bonafide ass!

If you want respect and fans I'm notsaying your fishing for them! Like you've said earlier here! But if you'd like a nice lil fan base its easier to gain them with kindness and compassion then bitter hostility towards someone you've never met and or are willing to meet.

And are you truely gay? If you are then I'm even more amazed! seeing as how my gay friends have always been the better for their trials, and take the high road instead of wallowing in the filth. But now I'm rambling and your gonna saysomething horrid to me..so go ahead get all the explitives in too, I dont wanna miss out on any juicy ones!

PrincessJen
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:30 am

Post by PrincessJen »

I didn't talk mean to nobody, I tried my best to be nice about being told how bad I was, but I'm only one woman. I have a breaking point.

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

We do know you. Several of the people here have had a presence in the DrunkDuck forums at some point, and many have some kind of presence in the Buzzcomix forums. We're well aware of your reputation.

User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.
Contact:

Post by Mercury Hat »

Guess everyone should have just blindly praised your comic instead of offering up their criticisms. It really went downhill for you when you said: "I'm fucking bored and hate Drunkduck. My mission was simply to bring down the intellectual standards of online webcomics. Done and done. Plus I like pissing losers with nothing better to do off. " And then you insulted a regular member... then you insulted the rest of the community... Good luck steering this burning ship away from the harbor.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring

Locked