Star Trek (Spoilers)

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics

Star Trek (Spoilers)

Postby Joel Fagin on Fri May 08, 2009 5:17 am

*thumbs up* Definitly even numbered. Great fun. And curiously restrained. There was homages to practically everything but they were so subtle that you could easily miss half of them. The villain mirrored Kirk's famous quote with his "SPOCK! SPOCCCCCKKKK!" moment, all three uniform types showed up* and old Spock channels cosmic irony by giving Scotty his own formula just as Scotty did to a plastic's manufacturer in Voyage Home. There were dozens of brilliant little touches like that and not one of them interfered with the plot, seemed forced or was pushed in your face to make sure you understand how clever the writers were. The merging of the two continuities worked great, too (that was a major sore point for me - a reboot should be a reboot not a half-and-half mish-mash).

I also love that the entire might of the Federation was useless against the might of a high tech future mining vessel, as well as the addition they made to the Kobiyashi Maru mythos. New hand phasors suck but all the other effects were great.

A few minor plot niggles, mind, but nothing serious. No way Kirk would have kept the Captaincy, for example. Not when he leapt from Cadet to Captain like that.

- Joel Fagin

* Series, Motionless Picture and the ones from the other movies.
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Re: Star Trek (Spoilers)

Postby Dracomax on Fri May 08, 2009 5:23 am

I enjoyed the movie thoroughly, even if there were some little things that left me groaning-such as the sword and axe that "flicked" out, or scotty's little alien friend.

My only big beef with the movie was the villian. The concept, writing, etc. about the villian were great, but the actor just didn't fit.
ImageImageImage
You and TRI are the crazy mad ones.~Cope
Give a man a fire, keep him warm for a day; set a man on fire, keep him warm for life.~unknown
Dracomax
Cartoon Hero

Postby Joel Fagin on Fri May 08, 2009 5:36 am

Oh, yeah. Not enough Pegg. Not nearly enough Pegg.

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby Rkolter on Fri May 08, 2009 7:21 am

I find it odd that there's no X-men thread, but there is a Star Trek thread.

Xmen was very good.

Crank 2 also. Very good.

And Battle for Terra? Surprisingly good, especially given it was independant and a low budget.

Haven't seen Star Trek yet.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Postby Komiyan on Fri May 08, 2009 8:09 am

Wolverine was comedy-awful. <DECAPITATE/>
I didn't like Crank 2 nearly as much as the original as well, too many toilet humour jokes.

I wasn't that psyched for Star Trek becuase I haven't been blown away by anything else JJ Abrams has done but the extremely high rating on Rotten Tomatoes has convinced me to try it this weekend.
Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!

Postby Rkolter on Fri May 08, 2009 8:23 am

Just because he sodomizes a guy with a shotgun you think it's all toilet humor. :P
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
Rkolter

Postby Komiyan on Fri May 08, 2009 3:01 pm

Yeah and the stripper being shot in the tits. It was like Epic Movie level humour.

I just got back from seeing Star Trek, holy shit what a great movie! I'm not much of a trek fan having only seen a few seasons of DS9 but I seriously enjoyed the hell out of that.
Komiyan

Postby Tim on Fri May 08, 2009 9:20 pm

Just got back from seeing Lens Flare: The Movie Star Trek. I wasn't dying to see it, but I'm glad I did. I hate to say I liked it better than Wolverine...I'm not surprised, I just don't like it. I should have liked Wolverine more.
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
Tim
Cartoon Hero

Location: Bay State, ol' Bay State, I lift my heart to you (bum bum bum)

Postby Phact0rri on Fri May 08, 2009 9:53 pm

Komiyan wrote:I just got back from seeing Star Trek, holy shit what a great movie! I'm not much of a trek fan having only seen a few seasons of DS9 but I seriously enjoyed the hell out of that.

This makes me want to see it now.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Komiyan on Sat May 09, 2009 1:15 am

Ok now I've come down from seeing it I'll go into specifics. Don't read this if you haven't watched the movie, it's so much more fun to go in blind.

The bad things-
I kinda felt a bit let down when it suddenly went 'three years later'. Maybe a montage of him and Bones going through the academy would have worked, as it was it felt kinda jarring.
Failed the Bechdel Test :( Basically only one female character of note and she didn't do much that didn't involve kissing Spock or turning down Kirk. She translated one thing once and that was about it.
I wish they'd kept Bones' slight paranoia from his first scene, they didn't even throw in a line to say 'oh well all the training at Starfleet fixed that right up.'

The good things-
Simon Pegg. He was fantastic, him and his little sidekick.
The humour was spot on- fast and clever. A lesser movie would have played that 'wictor wictor' joke into the ground, but as it was it was short and snappy. Kirk's '..bullshit!' line cracked up the cinema.
Bloody clever use of timetravel and alternate timelines to cover up any inconsistancies, like say a whole planet blowing up. That came as a great surprise in particular.
Space Katana
Pretty much all of the actors were spot on and very engaging. Kirk in particular could've been an obnoxious Shia LeBeof type but he actually got the 'rogueishly charming' thing down. I did roll my eyes at Sylar being Spock at first but damn, he was good! I got kinda distracted at Kirk's mum being Cameron from House though.
It was nice to see Nimoy, that could've been fanwank but it actually worked terrificaly well.

So yeah, great movie! Worth watching even if you have passing knowledge or no knowledge at all of Trek.
Komiyan

Postby KWill on Sat May 09, 2009 1:19 am

Komiyan wrote:Ok now I've come down from seeing it I'll go into specifics. Don't read this if you haven't watched the movie, it's so much more fun to go in blind.

Curse you, Komi! >=(
KWill
Cartoon Hero

Postby Joel Fagin on Sat May 09, 2009 4:04 am

Komiyan wrote:I did roll my eyes at Sylar being Spock at first but damn, he was good!

In a very specific way, I think he saved the movie. If you had brought in the old version of any other main character, the difference between old and new would have been jarring. The new actors were good substitutes in themselves but they would not have stood up believably as the same people if put side by side with the originals.*

Except Spock. Zachary was very close to a young Nimoy, right down to the deep voice. The movie's premise only worked because he was such a good match for his elder self.

- Joel Fagin

* Bones was next closest, I think. Same shaped face and the guy must have sent ages with a vocal coach to get the inflections right. I think everyone else each had some fundamental flaw (different shaped head, different coloured hair, etc).
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby Tynan on Sat May 09, 2009 7:50 pm

Star trek was really fun, I was woried more about the kid playing Chekov than anything else but all in all they did a great job.
It felt like it was missing something but I can't put my finger on it.

The Good:
The entire thing.

The Bad:
I'm not sure...but it did feel as though it was missing something. I mean there were off bits but they weren't enough to be called bad.
Oh wait freaking Cameron as the mother...she was too Cameron for my liking. I expected freaking Chase to pop up and be like "Kirk's father is your dead husband!? Well now I guess my sperm mean nothing."

The Ugly:
The elongation of eyes to make them seem extraterrestrial *alien doctor at birth*.

Wolverine needed to be an AA or R movie...you can't have it both ways with him..he's a little furball deathmachine.

The Good:
The use of the word bub.
80% of every fight scene
Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool
"I'm Canadian" Pure fu*King national pride shot through everyone there.
Seeing our flag in a movie for once.

The bad:

The Weapon X team (Deadpool) needed more screen time.
The Origin I was very upset when they added his claws in the origin comics (whereas before it was a byproduct of his healing factor during the admantium process) and they made worse by making Sabertooth and Wolverine brothers, I can understand trying to explain things to kids by making these two mutants have similar powers by sharing the same heritage...but come on! It's like making Mary Jane Watson Peters sister or giving Superman a bastard son...
The repeated death of his lover whom I guess is Silver Fox though she doesn't have the same powers.
Will.I .AM's fight

The ugly

20% of every fight scene (The crappy wire work & excess of slow motion.)
Diamond skin that's actual diamonds and not just a diamond shell.
Gambits fake card tricks.
Will.I.AM's fight.
Tynan
A REAL ADVEEEENTURERRRRRRR

Postby MariaAndMichelle on Sat May 09, 2009 8:46 pm

:D :D OMG, Star Trek. Star Trek, OMG. :D :D
You're just jealous because you can't get away with speaking in the third person...

Image Image
MariaAndMichelle
Cartoon Henchgirls

Postby IVstudios on Sat May 09, 2009 9:46 pm

It was awesome. It makes me want watch the original series.

The only part I really thought was stupid was the very end where [SPOILER] they kept the Enterprise RIGHT NEXT to the black hole forming in the Romulan ship so they could shoot at it pointlessly. The only reason for that was so they could have a "kewl" escape-the-black-hole scene. Other than that I have no real problems with it from a logical standpoint. (I kind of want to pick apart some the scientific inaccuracies, but it's hard to fault those because scientific inaccuracies are pretty much the basis of Star Trek)
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby Komiyan on Sun May 10, 2009 5:43 am

IVstudios wrote:The only part I really thought was stupid was the very end where [SPOILER] they kept the Enterprise RIGHT NEXT to the black hole forming in the Romulan ship so they could shoot at it pointlessly.
Haha yeah, it was like they got too distracted by the sight to actually realise they were stood next to a goddamn black hole.

Agreed on the alien eyes midwife too, that.. really didn't look how they wanted it to.
Komiyan

Postby Rkolter on Mon May 11, 2009 4:37 am

Tynan wrote:The ugly

Diamond skin that's actual diamonds and not just a diamond shell.

For me, this was ugly for a different reason. I could see why it'd have to become actual diamonds - a diamond shell wouldn't be flexible - she couldn't move.

But cut diamonds?

And diamonds aren't really all that tough. They're very hard. But they won't deflect bullets very well. If you wanted a gemstone that'd deflect a bullet, then have her turn into jade.

I did like that they mentioned specifically that all the powers hadn't bound to deadpool when they activated him - explaining why deadpool didn't have diamond skin.
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Postby Dracomax on Mon May 11, 2009 8:44 am

For Star trek:
I thought all the actors were pretty much spot on. I can see THe arguments about them not physically looking the same, but it didn't really bother me; I was much more interested in whether they felt like the same characters, and for the most part, they got that perfect.

WHile I liked Zachary as Spock quite a bit, the one I was most impressed by was McCoy. The actor not only had the vocal righ, but the mannerisms, to the point where even before they mentioned who he was, if you had been a fan of TOS, You knew exactly who he was.

For Wolverine:
Tynan wrote:The Origin I was very upset when they added his claws in the origin comics (whereas before it was a byproduct of his healing factor during the admantium process)

Actually, it had been implied both ways previous to the origin comics--one particular point being when the adamantium was ripped out and he still had bone claws.

To be honest, the details known about wolverine's origin have varied and contradicted themselves so much over the years, that I was just glad in the origins comic that they decided to be frickin consistant to something.

My major problems with Wolverine: There will be spoilers
Incredibly poor cg.
WHat they did to poor deadpool at the end--no quips from the only person in the marvel universe who can out-snark spider-man? really?

I also noticed the katana-s from the hand thing didn't make sense, as the appeared to be about 3-4 feet long-If they were retracted, they would interfere with his ability to bend his elbows.

They didn't make sabertooth evil or animalistic enough--they kept trying to make the brotherhood thing a saving grace, when they could have used it to make the tension between the two greater, and the fights more poignant.

I liked the action in general, if for nothing else than cyclops actually being useful.
Gave the movie a solid C.
ImageImageImage
You and TRI are the crazy mad ones.~Cope
Give a man a fire, keep him warm for a day; set a man on fire, keep him warm for life.~unknown
Dracomax
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rkolter on Tue May 12, 2009 7:02 am

Komiyan wrote:
IVstudios wrote:The only part I really thought was stupid was the very end where [SPOILER] they kept the Enterprise RIGHT NEXT to the black hole forming in the Romulan ship so they could shoot at it pointlessly.
Haha yeah, it was like they got too distracted by the sight to actually realise they were stood next to a goddamn black hole.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I just know this scene will bug the crap out of me.
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Postby Killbert-Robby on Tue May 12, 2009 11:56 am

IVstudios wrote:[SPOILER] they kept the Enterprise RIGHT NEXT to the black hole forming in the Romulan ship so they could shoot at it pointlessly. The only reason for that was so they could have a "kewl" escape-the-black-hole scene.

Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to Off Topic