Someone summarize the past three forum years

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics

Re: Someone summarize the past three forum years

Postby CJBurgandy on Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:17 pm

CJBurgandy wrote:
KWill wrote:
Prettysenshi wrote:Dawg and Robin pretended to be married. that was funny.

But Dawg wasn't in on it...

my work here is done...

oh god, I totally forgot. They really did get married. We were joking about joking.
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger

Postby Pimpette on Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:24 pm

I'm gonna get you guys for wiping my memory of that.
Pimpette
Cartoon Hero

Postby Komiyan on Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:24 pm

Tellurider wrote:
Komiyan wrote:How can I possibly stand to be with my best friend for the rest of my life?!

Every single day, always having to tell him when you'll be home, what you'll be doing, constantly trying to decide what to eat, what movie to see, where to go on vacation, unable to just take off 'cause you feel like it for a couple days, for the rest of your life, knowing that if it doesn't work out he gets half your stuff and you've lost your friend forever when if you'd just stayed friends you probably would have been fine... I really don't know how you'll stand it. Good luck!

Haha oh dear. Most people don't need up to date tracking of their partner, crazy I know! If he gets out of my sight he isn't gonna head directly to the nearest brothel do not pass go do not collect $200. and it's mad funny but what do you know, we have the same taste in movies and food! It's like that's part of why we're friends or something! We can take off together when we feel like it cause it's more fun with two, and I get tons of alone time too cause I work from home! Neat huh?

I do wonder if a lot of people don't ever actually find the right relationship, because there's a lot of 'marriage is hell' stereotypes floating around. But just to get soppy for a minute here, when you've found the right person it's like it all.. clicks into place, sorta thing. This is right, this is how I want to be for the rest of my life. Nothing could be more comfortable, no-one could connect with me as much. The stuff you're talking about doesn't come into play because you're not putting up with the relationship, you're both enjoying it. I loved him as a friend but I always knew how I really felt, and never acting on that? That would have driven me completely insane!

Summary- love is fucking awesome

But really pffh yeah breeders am i rite :D
Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!

Postby MixedMyth on Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:35 pm

Komiyan wrote:I do wonder if a lot of people don't ever actually find the right relationship, because there's a lot of 'marriage is hell' stereotypes floating around. But just to get soppy for a minute here, when you've found the right person it's like it all.. clicks into place, sorta thing. This is right, this is how I want to be for the rest of my life. Nothing could be more comfortable, no-one could connect with me as much. The stuff you're talking about doesn't come into play because you're not putting up with the relationship, you're both enjoying it. I loved him as a friend but I always knew how I really felt, and never acting on that? That would have driven me completely insane!

Almost certainly. I'm sure we've all had friends who get into serious relationships/married to people we know aren't right for them. But we support them anyway, of course. The other thing, I think, is that people change over time and so what might have worked at one point does not necessarily work later on down the road. Mostly because a lot of people don't seem to realize that relationships take active maintenance. Which isn't necessarily to say that it's horrible work... it shouldn't be... but it is something that not everyone seems to understand.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain

Postby Komiyan on Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:38 pm

Basically, you'll find your own path, with someone or not. The only part I took offense to was saying that the one I've chosen is like some sort of jail sentence!
Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!

Postby Tellurider on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:15 pm

Okay I've sort of chilled out a little bit here. See basically this happened because I had this knee-jerk response to the implication (which I'm sure was just perceived by me and not actually intended) that those of us who have not gotten married or had kids have not "gotten a life." And then since you're doing this thing Komi it kind of snowballed into this big deal.

So, clearly, since you're getting married, you don't have the same perspective on it as I do. Personally I don't like living with other people, I want to be able to do what I want when I want to do it. Right now I'm living with my parents and it's pissing me off that I'm supposed to wait until we're all here to have dinner, when on my own I'd just be all "I am hungry I eat now." To me having any sort of committed relationship basically means that there is this person there that you always have to inform and who insists on telling you about their own plans and stuff even though it's not like it's that important. Hell I lived with my best friend in college and once I was out from 7 am until 3 am because I was working stage crew for a concert, I get back, and she's all "OMG I THOUGHT YOU DIED". And I mean, she was just my roommate! I just don't get why people would willingly give up the absolute freedom to do whatever they want, have their stuff wherever they want, not do the dishes if they don't feel like it, have random socks lying around, and never, ever worry about coming home and finding that someone had eaten all the ice cream.

But apparently the rest of you think that it's great so hey, good for you, whatever makes you happy. Just because it's a trade-off I'm not willing to make doesn't mean that it's always a bad decision. I didn't mean to be offensive or anything, that's just my perspective and it's not likely to change. It wasn't meant to be any sort of personal attack, just sort of a general one like if a crazy guy set off a roman candle at the evil headquarters of the Tuna Conspiracy.
updates Thursdays
Tellurider
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sippan on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:41 pm

During my keenabsence I actually got as far as "engaged".

But that crashed and burned horribly :) Now I'm traumatized and single. And, oddly enough, still without inspiration to draw new comics. :(
Sippan
Cartoon Hero

Postby K-Dawg on Fri May 01, 2009 3:41 am

Tellurider wrote:Okay I've sort of chilled out a little bit here. See basically this happened because I had this knee-jerk response to the implication (which I'm sure was just perceived by me and not actually intended) that those of us who have not gotten married or had kids have not "gotten a life." And then since you're doing this thing Komi it kind of snowballed into this big deal.

So, clearly, since you're getting married, you don't have the same perspective on it as I do. Personally I don't like living with other people, I want to be able to do what I want when I want to do it. Right now I'm living with my parents and it's pissing me off that I'm supposed to wait until we're all here to have dinner, when on my own I'd just be all "I am hungry I eat now." To me having any sort of committed relationship basically means that there is this person there that you always have to inform and who insists on telling you about their own plans and stuff even though it's not like it's that important. Hell I lived with my best friend in college and once I was out from 7 am until 3 am because I was working stage crew for a concert, I get back, and she's all "OMG I THOUGHT YOU DIED". And I mean, she was just my roommate! I just don't get why people would willingly give up the absolute freedom to do whatever they want, have their stuff wherever they want, not do the dishes if they don't feel like it, have random socks lying around, and never, ever worry about coming home and finding that someone had eaten all the ice cream.

But apparently the rest of you think that it's great so hey, good for you, whatever makes you happy. Just because it's a trade-off I'm not willing to make doesn't mean that it's always a bad decision. I didn't mean to be offensive or anything, that's just my perspective and it's not likely to change. It wasn't meant to be any sort of personal attack, just sort of a general one like if a crazy guy set off a roman candle at the evil headquarters of the Tuna Conspiracy.

Honestly you have some weird views on relationships. If that is what you think all relationships are like, then wow.

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey
K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE

Postby Rkolter on Fri May 01, 2009 4:44 am

MixedMyth wrote:The other thing, I think, is that people change over time and so what might have worked at one point does not necessarily work later on down the road. Mostly because a lot of people don't seem to realize that relationships take active maintenance.

I think that these two sentences are the most distilled wisdom out of the entire conversation on relationships so far.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Postby Prettysenshi on Fri May 01, 2009 4:46 am

Komiyan wrote:mushy lovey dovey stuff

Summary- love is fucking awesome

AWWWWWWWW

that's what I want in a relationship. I am horribly reminded that I am single :(
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Postby Yeahduff on Fri May 01, 2009 4:51 am

Marriage isn't a trap. Life is.

This forum blows. I'm outta here.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby Prettysenshi on Fri May 01, 2009 5:00 am

Imagine like 200 other people saying what Yeahduff said, and you have the past three forum years :D

Anyway, Yeahduff, your witty antics shall be missed :(
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Postby Yeahduff on Fri May 01, 2009 5:25 am

Can't imagine what this place would be without me, it's true.
Yeahduff

Postby Yeahduff on Fri May 01, 2009 5:27 am

Keenspace is entering an era that will one day be referred to in the history books as "Post-Duff."
Yeahduff

Postby McDuffies on Fri May 01, 2009 7:11 am

Sippan wrote:During my keenabsence I actually got as far as "engaged".

But that crashed and burned horribly :) Now I'm traumatized and single. And, oddly enough, still without inspiration to draw new comics. :(

Hiya, Sippan. I'm still here. Nothing happened in past years that couldn't be put in perspective as insignificant. Although in general, forums are somewhat less interesting now and guerilla actions don't function as good as they used to.

Tellurider wrote:But apparently the rest of you think that it's great so hey, good for you, whatever makes you happy. Just because it's a trade-off I'm not willing to make doesn't mean that it's always a bad decision. I didn't mean to be offensive or anything, that's just my perspective and it's not likely to change. It wasn't meant to be any sort of personal attack, just sort of a general one like if a crazy guy set off a roman candle at the evil headquarters of the Tuna Conspiracy.

That's what happens when you form your opinion based in worst cases. Whatever happened to arranging the marriage according to your needs? None of what you said about functioning of marriage is written in stone, it's just a matter of agreement between two people, so it's just a matter of finding a person you can make an agreement with.
Frankly I've seen all kinds of functional and disfunctional marriages, but I've never met a person who is old, alone and happy.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Duffman can never die, only the actors who play him. Ooh yea

Postby Cope on Fri May 01, 2009 8:21 am

CJBurgandy wrote:oh god, I totally forgot. They really did get married. We were joking about joking.

fhjdsfhfhaffhajfhkja....!!!!

Yeahduff wrote:Keenspace is entering an era that will one day be referred to in the history books as "Post-Duff."

As if mcDuffies would ever leave.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Re: Duffman can never die, only the actors who play him. Ooh yea

Postby Rkolter on Fri May 01, 2009 8:53 am

Cope wrote:
Yeahduff wrote:Keenspace is entering an era that will one day be referred to in the history books as "Post-Duff."

As if mcDuffies would ever leave.

If he did leave, it'd still take me two years to catch up to his post count. :shifty:
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter

Postby Yeahduff on Fri May 01, 2009 8:54 am

Oh yeah. That other "Duff."
Yeahduff

Postby Yeahduff on Fri May 01, 2009 8:59 am

Pretty sure the history books will be skipping over him.
Yeahduff

Postby Yeahduff on Fri May 01, 2009 9:18 am

A mere footnote, really.
Yeahduff

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic