Collaborative Story sign ups

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics

Collaborative Story sign ups

Postby SergeXIII on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:20 pm

I picked this idea up from a convention and have been meaning to try it out. Its a reformation of the comic Jam concept to produce a cohesive story (v.s. the jumbled mess resulting from multiple artists struggling to make their characters the center of attention) and do so in a very quick time, and in a way that can produce a minicomic for all participants in the end. Here's the basic method: The head of the jam picks a topic and establishes a few simple characters that everyone can draw. Then plot points based on how many participants are involved are set down. Each participant is assigned a point and describes the beginning and end of the page for the plot point, the middle being all up to the artist in question. Each participant goes about drawing their page at the same time, when everyone is finished we have a complete story! Let me give you an example

Concept: Boy is late to school.
Cast: Boy and Dog.

1. Boy wakes up.
1-2.Boy watches cartoons.
2-3.The bus leaves without the boy.
3-4.The boy runs to school.
4-5.The boy encounters a dog.
5. The boy gets detention for bringing a dog to school.

So the person assigned to page 2 would start with the boy watching cartoons and end with the bus leaving. In the meantime the Boy could need to use the bathroom, set some furniture on fire by overheating the tv, become entranced by it, daydream about being in the tv, thats all up to the artist, so long as it opens with watching TV and ends with the bus leaving.

So as you no doubt guessed I would like to try this out. I'll take the lead role as I'm introducing this idea. Sign up if you're interested, and by the weekend I'll post a general concept and cast sketches to see if everyone is capable of drawing them. We'll assemble our plot points and regroup in a week to see what we came up with. Ideally we'd be able to make a book out of this to ad to our portfolios so I'll post some specs to shoot for.

I must also stress that we should not add exotic characters in this for several reasons, first and foremost being the spirit of the activity. And by this I mean our avatars. This shall serve as exercise in writing and composing comics and inside jokes and name dropping are, well, they're crutches that don't do so well off of these forums. I don't mean to offend by that, but thats what I think.

Anyway sign up if you're a bad enough dude.
SergeXIII
Cartoon Hero

Re: Collaborative Story sign ups

Postby Phact0rri on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:13 am

think I'd like to know the subject matter. be kinda horrible to sign up to draw something and not really dig the material at hand.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby LibertyCabbage on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:44 am

Seeing as I'll be on summer vacation in the very near future, I'm sure I can muster a page.

And I don't care what the story's about. If it's something I don't like doing, then that only makes it more challenging.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby SergeXIII on Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:29 am

Phact0rri wrote:think I'd like to know the subject matter. be kinda horrible to sign up to draw something and not really dig the material at hand.

I think you're missing the point dude. Its about thinking on your feet. If you're worried about it being too obscure of exotic it won't be, as its meant to be accesable to everyone.
SergeXIII
Cartoon Hero

Postby Laemkral on Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:49 am

So pretty standard improv training set to artistry. If I could draw, I'd do it. But then again I love improv.

I've said, and others have said, time and time again, that the key to proper participation and contribution in a jam is a good understanding of the fundamentals of improv. A jam is just improv done with drawings. Whatever ruins an improv comedy show, is exactly what ruins a jam. And the same goes for a successful show/jam.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:27 pm

I'd love to join in. My improv needs sharpening.
That is, if you'll still take me after my horribly self-centered and moronic previous attempts at joining jams.
Dreamaniac
Has a thing for bandannas...
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby SergeXIII on Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:45 pm

No biggie. Thats pretty much how everyone goes about it.

AW SNAP.
SergeXIII
Cartoon Hero

Postby SergeXIII on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:51 pm

We don't have that many people on board but lets see how this goes anyway. Since its coming up soon I'm making this story about Free Comic Book Day and think it should revolve around our mascot, the Genchan, in a current day setting, suburbia. I drew this up as a model to work with as the Genchan has many forms but let me know if you guys want to change it or if theres something on it you'll have too much difficulty drawing.

So, plot point one is mine

-Genchan leaves her home intending to arive at her local comic book shop for free comic book day.

Dreamanic is up for the next plot point, followed by LC, and well, thats everyone who signed up right now so that'll be it.
SergeXIII
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Sun May 03, 2009 1:56 am

Sounds good.
*gets to work on figuring out how to include ninjas and a giant robot for his section*
Dreamaniac
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby Killbert-Robby on Sun May 03, 2009 3:25 am

Shouldn't you give the battle comics a conclusion first? I dont wanna spend time on this if its gonna peter off and die.
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Sun May 03, 2009 5:01 am

Blue leg thing reminds me of this film.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby LibertyCabbage on Sun May 03, 2009 8:47 am

Killbert-Robby wrote:Shouldn't you give the battle comics a conclusion first? I dont wanna spend time on this if its gonna peter off and die.

Take a chill pill, bro. It's comin', it's comin'.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ti-Phil on Sun May 03, 2009 10:51 am

Might be tempting to try that.
The Volet

What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?

"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter
Ti-Phil
Héro de Dessin Animé

Postby Phact0rri on Sun May 03, 2009 12:56 pm

I'll throw my hat in.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Tue May 05, 2009 8:58 am

Yay Phact0rri!
Join us, Ti-Phil!
Dreamaniac
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby SergeXIII on Tue May 05, 2009 9:05 pm

Okay Dream lets have the plot point. This is the quick and easy part, you dont need to be too specific, just give a simple statement. This is improv so you shouldn't need time for deliberation.
SergeXIII
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Wed May 06, 2009 9:22 am

- The taxi she takes to get to the shop gets involved in an impromptu street race and she ends up in Ontario, Canada.
Dreamaniac
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby SergeXIII on Wed May 06, 2009 10:13 am

Okay cool, LC, your turn.
SergeXIII
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri May 08, 2009 8:15 pm

She gets dropped off in the Furrytown district of the city.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby SergeXIII on Sat May 09, 2009 8:16 am

Good. Ti-Phil, its go time.
SergeXIII
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to Off Topic