RIP Jose Gonzales

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics

RIP Jose Gonzales

Postby Phact0rri on Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:42 pm

Suppose this could be in general, but was unsure. Jose Gonzales known to horror comics fans as "pepe" passed on last night. It was a solace after a week of battling dire threatening illnesses. He was 70 years old. He was best known for his work on Vampirella, showing off sexy pin up era inspired artwork, however that tends to mask his over all control of body language and expression that makes even his sketchy style renderings come alive.

The fangoria mention of his death

body language example (clickable for bigger version)

and a classic sexy picture for everyone else.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Re: RIP Jose Gonzales

Postby Prettysenshi on Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:48 pm

OMG. I would see pinups of Vampirella for ages and I'm like....I never see any comics about it. RIP yo.
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Re: RIP Jose Gonzales

Postby Bustertheclown on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:45 pm

This is very sad. I'm a fan of his work, and he will be missed. I even went through a period in my teens where I tried to draw women just like him. I haven't been reminded of him in awhile, and it's depressing that it took his death for me to rediscover him. Seriously, the guy painted probably the most iconic image of Vampirella ever. If you don't know his work, you've probably at least seen this:

gonzalez-vampirella-500x835.jpg
gonzalez-vampirella-500x835.jpg (49.21 KiB) Viewed 1064 times

Beyond that, there's just something about the painterly approach to drafting taken by so many of the guys who drew sexy sci-fi comics in the 60's and 70's that just really appeals to me, and Gonzales was one of the best at the sensual brush line. Even his signature is sexy.

gonzalez010.jpg
gonzalez010.jpg (73.94 KiB) Viewed 1064 times

jose_gonzalez1.gif
jose_gonzalez1.gif (242.83 KiB) Viewed 1063 times

Another of the old guard has gone. :(
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Return to Off Topic