Looking for six people to play a PBEM game...

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics

Looking for six people to play a PBEM game...

Postby Rkolter on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:18 pm

I put together an army simulator - it lets you take an army of thousands of unique individuals, and smash them into another army. You gain points based on how your army does in battle, and can spend those points to upgrade (or rebuild...) your army. Each warrior has his own stats (attack, defense, hit points, etcetera) and gains levels based on gaining experience, like a stripped down roleplaying character might.

In the future, I plan to add extras to the game - the ability to build fortifications, undead minions, healers, grapeshot cannon, etcetera. But for now it's just warriors and buying more warriors and training. The winner is either the player last standing or the player with the best army when enough turns have passed.

I need to zero in the core code before I add on other things. It needs to be fun and play well. I think it is and does, but I'm biased. To that end, I will be looking for suggestions on improvements from the players. Both potential things to add to the game, and changes in the way it plays, what is included in the daily updates, and how the battles and updates read. Because of this, you'll learn more about the game than a normal player would (if you want to) - how points are calculated, how combat is handled, etcetera...

As a player, you do not have to RUN anything at all - just read a daily update, make some decisions on how to improve your army and who to attack, and respond. If you don't respond daily, your army doesn't improve that day, and doesn't move against anyone that day (but may still be attacked by one or more players...)

The long, long term goal is to make this part of a much more advanced version of EMPIRE - the PBEM empire building game. I wrote a version of it that was fairly popular a few years ago, but I was never satisfied with the combat portion of the game. The immediate goal is to make this a standalong PBEM game in it's own right.

Interested? Respond here. Your time devotion is minimal - read a daily email, think about it, and respond. And suggest improvements. And hopefully, enjoy the game! (And if you don't, suggest more improvements...)
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Re: Looking for six people to play a PBEM game...

Postby Ahaugen on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:21 pm

I'm in
Read The Times-Picayune
Comic Genesis' daily source for news since 2009

A Lamestream Media Company
Ahaugen
Cartoon Hero

Location: Chasing leads, reporating news, and opining editorally

Postby Rkolter on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:23 pm

... I should add that there may be some extra emails going back and forth explaining how the game works, answering questions and pooling and bringing forth suggestions. You're a player, and a beta tester.

To that end, once I've got six players, I'll have to get your email addresses. Other players will not see your email addresses - I'll be the clearinghouse for questions and ideas.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
Rkolter

Postby Tim on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:34 am

You know, if you're looking for things to do, you could always finish that CG Arena Battle 2 that never made it past the first round of battles... :shifty:
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
Tim
Cartoon Hero

Location: Bay State, ol' Bay State, I lift my heart to you (bum bum bum)

Postby Rkolter on Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:02 am

Tim wrote:You know, if you're looking for things to do, you could always finish that CG Arena Battle 2 that never made it past the first round of battles... :shifty:

CG Arena Battle takes a couple hours a day, every day, for about a month. If I had that kind of time, I'd be running the Cookout this year before I ran the CG Arena Battle. I can do what I have time for. Coding something like this I can do in the spare time I do have. And, unlike CG Arena Battle, it's something I've wanted to do for literally years, and so makes me feel good to do.

Also on a time-saving note, CG Arena Battle is overwhelmingly manual. It's implemented on an excel spreadsheet and all the typing is done by hand, as well as all the updating and the entire battle text in the forum. Whereas this game is designed to handle everything automatically. A battle between two one-thousand people armies takes 25 seconds. A battle between two people in CG Arena Battle takes about 30 minutes.

So in the end... no. I won't be doing CG Arena Battle anytime in the near future. But I will be updating this project. If you're interested, I'd be glad to have you.
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Postby Rkolter on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:38 am

I now have two people confirmed, and need four more.

Here's a sample of what the daily update the beta testers will see looks like. This is for a sample new army I generated.

Code: Select all
============================================================
Evaluating Army 6...
Army Size: 1000
Level  1 Warriors: 894
Level  2 Warriors: 106
Level  3 Warriors: 0
Level  4 Warriors: 0
Level  5 Warriors: 0
Level  6 Warriors: 0
Level  7 Warriors: 0
Level  8 Warriors: 0
Level  9 Warriors: 0
Level 10 Warriors: 0

Total Levels......: 1106
Average Level.....: 1.106

Total Experience..: 0
Average Experience: 0

Total Army Value..: 13482
Average Army Value: 13.482

Most Experienced: #113 Level: 2 Experience: 24

Available points: 500
============================================================

You may spend your points on any of the following:
--------------------------------------------------
1 -    5 points - One Level One Warrior
2 -   40 points - One Level Two Warrior
3 -  120 points - One Level Three Warrior
4 -  200 points - Ten +1 bonuses to attack (randomly distributed)
5 -  200 points - Ten +1 bonuses to defend (randomly distributed)
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Postby Rkolter on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:04 pm

Got three now... three to go.
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Postby Rkolter on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:41 pm

Up to 4. Potentially 5, I'll hear back tomorrow. If you're interested, this is your last real chance - PM me.
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Return to Off Topic