If it weren't for…

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics

Re: If it weren't for…

Postby Bustertheclown on Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:17 pm

If it weren't for having to clean my room when I was ten years old, I wouldn't be drawing comics.

When cleaning my room one summer day, I found this single page, torn out of an old G.I. Joe comic:
m007_01.jpg
m007_01.jpg (173.86 KiB) Viewed 524 times

I was intrigued by the image, and had my first fit of nostalgia, looking fondly back on my even younger days of playing with Joes in the dirt, watching the cartoons on Saturday morning, and looking at my older brother's comics, even though I couldn't read them. I decided then and there that comics were cool. Within the next couple of weeks, I had managed to find some old Joe comics in a used book store in my town, and convinced my mom to buy them for me. My career as a comic collector had officially begun.

Reading through a few of the stories, seeing all the action and interesting characters, I was inspired to start making my own comics featuring ninjas with Uzis. From there, my life took the direction I'm still following.

I wish I could say that this path has further led me to success, love and fulfillment, and other great things that comics seem to have led others on this forum to, but so far it's only led to poverty, frustration, and feelings of inadequacy. So, at least I know I'm on the road of a true artiste. 8-)

Now you know, "And knowing is half the battle!" (The other half of the battle being explosions and blood.)
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:39 pm

If it weren't for being linked to Real Life comics off of some random link, I never would have discovered webcomics. If I hadn't found Comic Genesis on wikipedia, I wouldn't have started my own, and would have never ended up dedicating my life to drawing.

If I hadn't gone to Anime club for the first time near the beginning of the year, I probably wouldn't have met so many more nerds like myself in real life. The internet doesn't have the same feel as a real conversation about Metagaming with an actual physical person.

If I hadn't started updating my comic five days a week, I wouldn't have learned how to handle my schedule and homework responsibly.
Dreamaniac
Has a thing for bandannas...
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ahaugen on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:54 pm

Bustertheclown wrote:If it weren't for having to clean my room when I was ten years old, I wouldn't be drawing comics.

When cleaning my room one summer day, I found this single page, torn out of an old G.I. Joe comic:
m007_01.jpg

I was intrigued by the image, and had my first fit of nostalgia, looking fondly back on my even younger days of playing with Joes in the dirt, watching the cartoons on Saturday morning, and looking at my older brother's comics, even though I couldn't read them. I decided then and there that comics were cool. Within the next couple of weeks, I had managed to find some old Joe comics in a used book store in my town, and convinced my mom to buy them for me. My career as a comic collector had officially begun.

Reading through a few of the stories, seeing all the action and interesting characters, I was inspired to start making my own comics featuring ninjas with Uzis. From there, my life took the direction I'm still following.

I wish I could say that this path has further led me to success, love and fulfillment, and other great things that comics seem to have led others on this forum to, but so far it's only led to poverty, frustration, and feelings of inadequacy. So, at least I know I'm on the road of a true artiste. 8-)

Now you know, "And knowing is half the battle!" (The other half of the battle being explosions and blood.)

wait. are the joes teaming up with the ruskies to fight the cobras?
Read The Times-Picayune
Comic Genesis' daily source for news since 2009

A Lamestream Media Company
Ahaugen
Cartoon Hero

Location: Chasing leads, reporating news, and opining editorally

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:19 pm

If it weren't for my friend showing me a page of Disney-related Urban Legends on Snopes.com in sixth grade, I never would have found the Snopes messageboard. If I had not lurked on the snopes messageboard for years and years, I would not have found the link to TVTropes.org. If it weren't for TVtropes.org, I wouldn't have gotten to the page about whatever webcomic that had a link to Comicgenesis, and if it weren't for that, I wouldn't be here, and if I hadn't been here, I wouldn't have wasted 90% of yesterday trawling through the last thirty pages of the General Discussion forum for no apparent reason other than that I was bored. And if it weren't for that, ... well, I don't know what. I probably would have moved around more.

:shifty:

time for MORE LEMONADE!
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Previous

Return to Off Topic