Super Genesis Bros. JAM!!

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics

Jamming on CG

Postby Fading Aura on Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:30 pm

Let's look at the facts for a moment. Dreamaniaccomic posted an endcap to a jam he/she/it thought was out of control. Popular opinion disagreed. The Super Genesis Bros. jam was posted about 20 minutes before the endcap to the "Do not post" jam was uploaded. A few forum members jumped on the "this new jam is doomed because it's a bad move" bandwagon shortly afterwards.

Now my opinionated thoughts. Dreamaniaccomic is fairly new to the community and should be allowed some leeway since it's a first time offense of this kind. Not everyone knows what's acceptable and unacceptable from the get go. The OT Rules do not dictate the jam policies - it's something learned. And some of the reactions here demonstrate why there is a stigma that Comic Genesis is a high school clique. If someone has committed a first time faux pas, have a little dignity and explain why. Please don't immediately harp and mock them.

That being said, reactions to repeated faux pas should be handled as the situation warrants. I won't say not to mock then because I know it's inevitable on CG by that point. :roll:
When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look, but it was gone. I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown; the dream is gone. And I have become comfortably numb.
Fading Aura
Regular Poster

Re: Super Genesis Bros. JAM!!

Postby The Mortician on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:24 pm

Dreamaniaccomic could easily make this his own One-man jam, if he's willing to commit to the idea he had. That's how I see forced jams should be anyway.
The Mortician
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mercury Hat on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:42 pm

You deleted your old post Tynan!

I REMEMBER THESE THINGS.

Oh well.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)

Postby [AlmightyPyro] on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:02 pm

Mercury Hat wrote:You deleted your old post Tynan!

I REMEMBER THESE THINGS.

Oh well.

Only human indeed...
I'm glad 90's style forum signatures don't exist anymore.
[AlmightyPyro]
Cartoon Hero

Re: Jamming on CG

Postby McDuffies on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:45 pm

Fading Aura wrote:Now my opinionated thoughts. Dreamaniaccomic is fairly new to the community and should be allowed some leeway since it's a first time offense of this kind. Not everyone knows what's acceptable and unacceptable from the get go. The OT Rules do not dictate the jam policies - it's something learned. And some of the reactions here demonstrate why there is a stigma that Comic Genesis is a high school clique. If someone has committed a first time faux pas, have a little dignity and explain why. Please don't immediately harp and mock them.

How's about this:

Dreammaniaccomic, though it's not officially sanctioned, starting jams like this is generally frowned upon in this community. We generally like when jams appear spontaneously, or as a product of brainstorming of a group of people. That way, we are sure that more than one person is interested in drawing something.
You can use "search" to find older jams started by one isolated person like this. You'll see that they usually weren't received too good. Some were so embarrasing for initial posters, that they eventually asked for the thread to be erased. I guess when you do something like this, we feel like you're trying to assume some kind of leadership position (call us territorial if you will), or mimic forms of social behaviour that you don't fully understand, or at least to make us draw your ideas. Remember, we have to dedicate our valuable time to drawing a page, and between our regular comics, jam really has to be specially inspiring to make us spend a few hours on it instead of something else.
Nothing is stopping you from continuing to draw this on your own. But don't expect the same reception that "do not post" jam had.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Phact0rri on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:05 am

I like how War has a single tuff of chest hair. its how he should always be drawn.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Dragonkingdoms on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:31 am

To add what's been said, another problem is timing. We usually have jams at least a month apart, if not moreso, particularly in the summer. It seems like jams work better when school is in session, because it's a way to take our mind off the mind-numbing work.

Keep in mind the Mr./Mrs./Thing of Comic Genesis is running now, too. Between this, the not yet dead old Do Not Post, our own comics, and the contest, that's a lot of drawing for us to do.
Comic Genesis Comic Cookout VIII was July 30th, 2011 (over a year ago!) in NYC. Want to host/plan Comic Cookout IX in summer (fall?) 2013? Feel free to drop me a PM.
Dawn of a New Era
Webcomic Above VII is going on now!
Dragonkingdoms
Regular Poster

Postby Tynan on Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:21 am

I REMEMBER THESE THINGS.

Oh well.

I deleted it...TWICE!
Tynan
A REAL ADVEEEENTURERRRRRRR

Postby Mercury Hat on Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:30 am

Tynan wrote:

I REMEMBER THESE THINGS.

Oh well.

I deleted it...TWICE!

>:O
Phact0rri wrote:I like how War has a single tuff of chest hair. its how he should always be drawn.

There's armpit hair, too, but it didn't show up as well.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)

Postby Rkolter on Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:08 am

To use terminology I dispise, "You all have to stop hatin'".

Fading Aura and McDuffies got it right. We need regular infusions of fresh blood new artistic talent in this community. There's nothing inherently wrong with starting a jam on your own... it just doesn't work well here and so the old timers groan whenever a new jam is started this way.

I'm with whomever suggested that Dreamacomic do this jam on his (her?) own. I'd read it.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Postby IVstudios on Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:22 am

Fading Aura wrote: If someone has committed a first time faux pas, have a little dignity and explain why. Please don't immediately harp and mock them.

But… but this is teh internets! :(
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby [AlmightyPyro] on Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:17 pm

McDuffies wrote:
Fading Aura wrote:Now my opinionated thoughts. Dreamaniaccomic is fairly new to the community and should be allowed some leeway since it's a first time offense of this kind. Not everyone knows what's acceptable and unacceptable from the get go. The OT Rules do not dictate the jam policies - it's something learned. And some of the reactions here demonstrate why there is a stigma that Comic Genesis is a high school clique. If someone has committed a first time faux pas, have a little dignity and explain why. Please don't immediately harp and mock them.

How's about this:

Dreammaniaccomic, though it's not officially sanctioned, starting jams like this is generally frowned upon in this community. We generally like when jams appear spontaneously, or as a product of brainstorming of a group of people. That way, we are sure that more than one person is interested in drawing something.
You can use "search" to find older jams started by one isolated person like this. You'll see that they usually weren't received too good. Some were so embarrasing for initial posters, that they eventually asked for the thread to be erased. I guess when you do something like this, we feel like you're trying to assume some kind of leadership position (call us territorial if you will), or mimic forms of social behaviour that you don't fully understand, or at least to make us draw your ideas. Remember, we have to dedicate our valuable time to drawing a page, and between our regular comics, jam really has to be specially inspiring to make us spend a few hours on it instead of something else.
Nothing is stopping you from continuing to draw this on your own. But don't expect the same reception that "do not post" jam had.

You should get a gold medal for explaining things! You always do the best at that.
I'm glad 90's style forum signatures don't exist anymore.
[AlmightyPyro]
Cartoon Hero

Postby Joel Fagin on Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:59 pm

[AlmightyPyro] wrote:You should get a gold medal for explaining things! You always do the best at that.

I dunno. I mean, he's good but is he really Olympic level? Could he got toe to toe with those souped up, brain steroided athletes who train by explaining quantum physics and Windows to people?

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby McDuffies on Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:02 pm

I was an olympic champion of explaining things in 2003, 2004 and 2005, then I retired.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:13 pm

McDuffies wrote:

How's about this:

I appreciate this. It's not often you have the unwritten rules written down, but this is an excellent exception. I recognize my mistake, and wont do this again. Sorry I've been such a noob, but I'm working on it. I'm going to quit this Jam. I was kind of relying on other people helping, but now that I've learned about all this, I doubt it will happen. Meh, it doesn't matter, anyway. I'll just think of something new for the "do not post" Jam. Sorry once again for trying to force a Jam, and I appreciate Fading Aura's and McDuffies' explanations.
The Neko wrote:This is unironically the worst jam.

Serious question, are you 12?

And I'm keeping my new avatar (It's cuter.)
Dreamaniac
Has a thing for bandannas...
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rkolter on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:13 pm

Joel Fagin wrote:
[AlmightyPyro] wrote:You should get a gold medal for explaining things! You always do the best at that.

I dunno. I mean, he's good but is he really Olympic level? Could he got toe to toe with those souped up, brain steroided athletes who train by explaining quantum physics and Windows to people?

- Joel Fagin

Brain steroids cause splitting headaches.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter

Postby Dotty on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:12 am

Hey, a solo jam could be fun maybe! Or just us occasionally throwing out a random doodle, whichever!

When do we sink the boat?
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Dotty
Cartoon Hero

Postby Killbert-Robby on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:15 am

But thats not a jam, that's more one dude in his garage with a drum set banging away
Fuck
That's my neighbor.
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dotty on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:19 am

Then it's time we pay mr. neighbourhood jam a visit. *grabs bat*
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Dotty
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:52 am

Silly Dotty bat is not for playing drums.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic