Any good games lately? How about old ones?
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
-
Lazylonewolf
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 81
- Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:02 pm
- Location: Unlocated
- Contact:
Any good games lately? How about old ones?
Yeah, video games are the best. Does anybody know a good tactical game? Even if it's old I still like Desperados 

http://catnine.comicgenesis.com/
http://radstylix.deviantart.com/
Anyone need a webdesigner for your webcomic in ComicGenesis? Talk to me! Yellowpages
- MixedMyth
- Cartoon Villain
- Posts: 6319
- Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: Niether here nor there
- Contact:
Re: Any good games lately? How about old ones?
Didn't Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 just come out?
- Rkolter
- Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

- Posts: 16399
- Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
- Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
- Contact:
Re: Any good games lately? How about old ones?
I still play Masters of Orion II.
On Shockwave, I play Bubble Madness.
I'm goofing around with Spore's Creature Editor and uploading critters in preparation for the big release in September.
I sometimes play Odd World on my xbox still. I also play YIPE II - a tiny little character builder RPG.
On Shockwave, I play Bubble Madness.
I'm goofing around with Spore's Creature Editor and uploading critters in preparation for the big release in September.
I sometimes play Odd World on my xbox still. I also play YIPE II - a tiny little character builder RPG.
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
- Boozeathon4billion
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 259
- Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:51 am
- Location: Lincoln, NE
- Contact:
Re: Any good games lately? How about old ones?
FFTA2 just came out and its supposed to be awesome. I've been playing through Advance Wars 1 and 2 for the GBA though. I know there are two out for the DS but I don't have the spare cash/time combination to put a whole new portable game into my schedule. After all, I finally got a PS3t his summer and am trying to catch up on games for that.
Re: Any good games lately? How about old ones?
Disgaea. The series is AWESOME. Its a strategy rpg with a great sense of humor. You more than likely have a console that its on or coming out for (ps1, ps2, psp, ds, and ps3.) I'm pretty sure the ds has a couple more, but since I don't own one I don't know.
Jeane D'Arc for psp is also an awesome strategy rpg.
Although pretty old, C&C: Generals is still a very fun game. I used to have lots of fun going on a huge map, and teaming up a bunch of hard ai's against me. I'd use China and try using only infantry to win (very high casualties), or going for a nuke only mass strike win. As long as you think up rules for yourself, you can try all types of scenarios.
Jeane D'Arc for psp is also an awesome strategy rpg.
Although pretty old, C&C: Generals is still a very fun game. I used to have lots of fun going on a huge map, and teaming up a bunch of hard ai's against me. I'd use China and try using only infantry to win (very high casualties), or going for a nuke only mass strike win. As long as you think up rules for yourself, you can try all types of scenarios.
- MixedMyth
- Cartoon Villain
- Posts: 6319
- Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: Niether here nor there
- Contact:
Re: Any good games lately? How about old ones?
Disgaea so goooooooood. First game is hard to find, unless they've re released it. I still need to finish the second one, come to think of it. And Makai Kingdom.
There's aslo Phantom Brave. The game is not as fun as Disgaea plot-wise. Takes itself too seriously. But the system is interesting. It's a tactical rpg in which you summon the ghosts of your soldiers out of items strewn about the surrounding landscape.
There's aslo Phantom Brave. The game is not as fun as Disgaea plot-wise. Takes itself too seriously. But the system is interesting. It's a tactical rpg in which you summon the ghosts of your soldiers out of items strewn about the surrounding landscape.
- Phact0rri
- The Establishment (Moderator)

- Posts: 5772
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
- Location: ????
- Contact:
Re: Any good games lately? How about old ones?
people need to take a look at Rondo of swords... which is kinda like Fire Emblem... except more difficult.
- Dreamaniaccomic
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1096
- Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:17 am
- Location: In my head.
- Contact:
Re: Any good games lately? How about old ones?
More difficult then Fire Emblem? How are you supposed to beat it?
I have played many games, but my current classic favorites (all for the PS2) include:
Jak 3. If you own a PS2, go out and buy the entire Jak and Daxter series. Except maybe for Combat racing, I haven't played it yet.
Ratchet and Clank 1/Going Commando(2)/Up your arsenal(3). Insomniac games has a history of producing fantastic games. This is why.
Yes, I know all of these games don't go higher then a teen rating, but who said you need blood to have fun? All of the games come with enough heavy weaponry to kill Kratos and keep him dead.
Oh yeah, one more game: Kingdom Hearts 2. What breaks my heart is that I may not get to play 3. Unless it comes out on the Wii, in which case I forgive Square Enix for everything they've ever screwed up, even Final Fantasy II's experience system.
I have played many games, but my current classic favorites (all for the PS2) include:
Jak 3. If you own a PS2, go out and buy the entire Jak and Daxter series. Except maybe for Combat racing, I haven't played it yet.
Ratchet and Clank 1/Going Commando(2)/Up your arsenal(3). Insomniac games has a history of producing fantastic games. This is why.
Yes, I know all of these games don't go higher then a teen rating, but who said you need blood to have fun? All of the games come with enough heavy weaponry to kill Kratos and keep him dead.
Oh yeah, one more game: Kingdom Hearts 2. What breaks my heart is that I may not get to play 3. Unless it comes out on the Wii, in which case I forgive Square Enix for everything they've ever screwed up, even Final Fantasy II's experience system.
Dreamaniac
Has a thing for bandannas...
Has a thing for bandannas...
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
Re: Any good games lately? How about old ones?
If you liked Desperadoes, be sure to play Commandos 2. If you havent already.

- Jim North
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6659
- Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
- Location: The Omnipresent Here
- Contact:
Re: Any good games lately? How about old ones?
Metal Mariiiiiiiiiiiiines!
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
- Tynan
- A REAL ADVEEEENTURERRRRRRR
- Posts: 4214
- Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:02 pm
- Location: Adventuring
- Contact:
Re: Any good games lately? How about old ones?
I suggest Alone in the Dark. I just played through and just wow it's a really good play.
Re: Any good games lately? How about old ones?
Yup. It's already sucked up like 45 hours of my time and I'm only done like 110 quests. It's gonna be a long long game.MixedMyth wrote:Didn't Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 just come out?
If you want strategy games, the somewhat recently released Wild Arms XF for PSP is also a really good one. PSP is just full of SRPGs in general, it's got Disgaea, the original FFT, Jeanne D'Arc, etc.
I'm also playing the vaguely strategy-ish Chocobo's Dungeon (for Wii) and trying to finish up Etrian Odyssey 1 so I can start the sequel (for DS).
As for older strategy games? I think my favorite strategy game of all time is Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Man does that game ever rock. It's like 8-10 years old, but I still play it and I think it's the best PC game ever made.
I play lots of old crap, though, most of the time if I'm talking about something in the chat it's some really old game. I just recently beat the NES Contra games (and a lot of people in the chat saw my videos), and tonight I beat Little Nemo: The Dream Master.
So yeah. Games are basically all I ever do. I have a stupidly large number of them, too. Over 550 not counting PC games or anything pirated.
-
Lazylonewolf
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 81
- Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:02 pm
- Location: Unlocated
- Contact:
Re: Any good games lately? How about old ones?
Has anyone played Warhammer 40k Squad Command on the PSP? Tis a fine tactical game, though hard. Is Metal Gear acid good? The idea of cards controlling Snake is weird to me...

http://catnine.comicgenesis.com/
http://radstylix.deviantart.com/
Anyone need a webdesigner for your webcomic in ComicGenesis? Talk to me! Yellowpages
- McDuffies
- Bob was here (Moderator)

- Posts: 29957
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Serbia
- Contact:
Re: Any good games lately? How about old ones?
I can name at least five things that are better.Lazylonewolf wrote:Yeah, video games are the best.
Re: Any good games lately? How about old ones?
Uplink is one of the best cinematic hacker games I've played. Regardless of the fact that the "hacking tools" in the game are completely ridiculous, it's good fun. (http://www.introversion.co.uk/uplink/)
Beyond Good and Evil is good for replays.
JetsNGuns has the most ridiculous name ever, but is fun and IKARUGA-HARD. (http://jng.rakeingrass.com)
I'm playing Venture Arctic now; it's an awesome ecosystem simulator. (http://www.pocketwatchgames.com/arctic/)
(Yes, I've been playing a lot of independent games. Do support them. A lot of gaming is plagued with endless rehashes, and lost it's ability to make brave decisions about gameplay. Indie gaming is where it's at. Start here: http://www.gametunnel.com/articles.php?id=620).
Beyond Good and Evil is good for replays.
JetsNGuns has the most ridiculous name ever, but is fun and IKARUGA-HARD. (http://jng.rakeingrass.com)
I'm playing Venture Arctic now; it's an awesome ecosystem simulator. (http://www.pocketwatchgames.com/arctic/)
(Yes, I've been playing a lot of independent games. Do support them. A lot of gaming is plagued with endless rehashes, and lost it's ability to make brave decisions about gameplay. Indie gaming is where it's at. Start here: http://www.gametunnel.com/articles.php?id=620).
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
Re: Any good games lately? How about old ones?
Uplink is a timeless game - Seriously, its just aged so gracefully.

-
Lazylonewolf
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 81
- Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:02 pm
- Location: Unlocated
- Contact:
Re: Any good games lately? How about old ones?
Ooh, I think I'll try those...Hey has anyone tried Diablo 3 yet? 

http://catnine.comicgenesis.com/
http://radstylix.deviantart.com/
Anyone need a webdesigner for your webcomic in ComicGenesis? Talk to me! Yellowpages
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
Re: Any good games lately? How about old ones?
I'm currently in the middle of playing Odin Sphere with an hour or two of various Silent Hills by night. I highly reccomend both, with the aesthetic bonus of Silent Hill's excelent atmosphere and Silent Hill 2s excelent story telling (the best of any game ever, there I said it) and Odin Sphere's breath taking sprite art.

















