What's up with furries?

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics

Postby Sortelli on Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:49 pm

[AlmightyPyro] wrote:
Sortelli wrote:I like furries just fine, but I get a huge kick out of furry bashing none the less. The hyper defensiveness it provokes is endlessly entertaining for reasons I shouldn't be too proud of.

Same reason I tell Mac users that I like right clicking. :P What that Macs have that and all, but the way they like to get all upset about it makes me laugh.

Oh God yes. Nothing against mac users at all but just knowing there's an easy button there to press makes it sooooo appealing. Plus I hate those stupid Mac vs PC ads. They are pretty much asking for it.
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:10 pm

From our beloved / hated Wiki P:
Most people in the industries of professional illustration, cartooning, and animation refer to these types of animal characters as talking animals or funny animals. However, the mainstream news media and members of furry fandom sometimes refer to this variety of talking animals as furries. The earliest example of talking animals portraying humans, as opposed to talking animals portraying animals, was in Vishnu Sarma's Panchatantra (Fables of Bidpai), which was set in a world of talking animals who represent human morals and behavior
Panchatantra was written around the 3rd century BC but you can find older examples of human / animal mixes in Greek mythology (ie: The Minotaur), the afore-mentioned Egyptian gods (ie Anubis) and even in the Bible (the talking snake in the Garden of Eden).
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jim North on Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:15 pm

I got into furrydom via Sonic the Hedgehog. He's like the gateway drug or something.

Anyway, my personal draw to furries came specifically from watching the SatAM Sonic cartoon and trying to imagine the civilization that the Mobians would actually have if there weren't any Dr. Robotniks around to fuck it up. Because furries represent both the familiar and the exotic, I saw several interesting possibilities. There would parts of it that would emulate human culture and habits, while others could be completely and distinctly alien to our own way of thinking.

Like others, I also liked the idea mixing the variable of non-human traits into an otherwise humanistic outlook on an individual basis. And I also saw the possibilities not just of having them give in to their more animal instincts, but to see them work to run completely contrary to those inherent traits. The basis of most good stories is conflict, after all.

The visual aspect was appealing as well. Just like certain aliens in science-fiction or various races in the fantasy genre, furries just look cool to me.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby [AlmightyPyro] on Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:21 pm

Yeah, Sonic is where it gets you.
I'm glad 90's style forum signatures don't exist anymore.
[AlmightyPyro]
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jim North on Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:23 pm

Hey, kid . . . wanna check out something that'll get you really fuzzy?

*opens one side of his trenchcoat to reveal an assortment of SEGA games and Archie Adventure comics*
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:15 pm

Furries belong at the zoo.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby Killbert-Robby on Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:17 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:Furries belong at the zoo.

Silence, Leafy.
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dracomax on Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:07 pm

the problem with furries is that they are too chicken to go all the way, cut off extraneous limbs, ets.
fools want to be animals while still retaining their human characteristics. silly, silly people.
*eats random forum goer, then lies down on bed of gold*
ImageImageImage
You and TRI are the crazy mad ones.~Cope
Give a man a fire, keep him warm for a day; set a man on fire, keep him warm for life.~unknown
Dracomax
Cartoon Hero

Postby Zwuh on Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:12 pm

It depends.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one" -George Bernard Shaw

"Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! ..But He loves you." -George Carlin
Zwuh
Purple Man

Postby Serenagold on Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:58 pm

I've probably been drawing comics (though not in any type of professional format) for as long as I could remember and up until the age of, I dunno, maybe 15, all my comics were anthro/furry comics. Of course, at the time those phrases really didn't exist as far as I know. That was the mid-90s.

Reading a comic with animals as the main characters doesn't bother me in the slightest. Its awesome. Animals rock. (And I mean really, who doesn't agree with that sentiment? Seriously. Hey, you remember that episode of Batman Beyond where all the kids got spliced? You remember what kind DNA they used? Thats right. ANIMAL DNA> cause, you know, we all want cool things like fangs and claws and cats eyes and stuff. YOu know its true... wow, this is a hell of a long thought.)

It was later on when I discovered this snazzy thing called the Internet that I learned of the subculture existance of "Furries." I mean what the hell?? Kinda added a stigma to the whole thing. (Although I still have not problem with anthro comics or cartoons. ^^) But yeah, that episode of CSI was too damn funny. Gross, but funny as hell.
Serenagold
Regular Poster

Postby Sortelli on Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:56 am

Well no one could use plant DNA or else it's Poison Ivy suing for copyright...
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby RemusShepherd on Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:45 am

The reason furry art and comics exist is because animal forms come with connotations that define their attributes. Dogs are dumb but loyal; cats are selfish; rabbits are quick-witted; tigers are aggressive, etc.

These are the *same* kind of visual shortcuts as the shortcuts that comic artists use to define characters. Children have big heads; angry people have slanted eyebrows; loose, relaxed people have bendy-limbs; people's hair stands up straight when they're scared, etc.

So furry comics have an additional set of tools for quick visual representations of character, over and above the normal comic artist's toolbox. I believe this is the mark of a true subgenre, but that's not important. :) What's important is that furry comics appeal to people who understand the tropes involved.

And we're taught those tropes from childhood. So, yeah, they have a ready-made audience.
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero

Postby MixedMyth on Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:19 am

As far as using animal in general, I know that one of the advantages for Warner using them was that they could get away with a lot more than they could if they just used people. How many times did Bugs dress up as a girl to fool Elmer? XD
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain

Postby Montyandwoolley on Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:02 am

Sortelli wrote:
[AlmightyPyro] wrote:
Sortelli wrote:I like furries just fine, but I get a huge kick out of furry bashing none the less. The hyper defensiveness it provokes is endlessly entertaining for reasons I shouldn't be too proud of.

Same reason I tell Mac users that I like right clicking. :P What that Macs have that and all, but the way they like to get all upset about it makes me laugh.

Oh God yes. Nothing against mac users at all but just knowing there's an easy button there to press makes it sooooo appealing. Plus I hate those stupid Mac vs PC ads. They are pretty much asking for it.

I own a mac, and i have a belkin three button mouse.

Why would you use anything else?
Montyandwoolley
Regular Poster

Postby TheSuburbanLetdown on Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:05 am

I have a mac, but I use my tablet instead of the mouse.

And I'm not a big fan of those mac commercials either. They have an air of arrogance about them.
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value

Postby CaptainClaude on Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:22 pm

when was the last time you saw a humble product commercial though?
CaptainClaude
Witty British President

Postby Sortelli on Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:41 pm

Well, there's a difference in tone. PC commercials are about PCs, not Macs. It's like Coke and Pepsi ads back in the day. Pepsi ads were always taking shots at Coke, and Coke was about fuzzy polar bears that are soooo cute.

It's how you knew Pepsi was only number two. Like the Mac.

Goddangit if I'm not going to get any delicious internet drama in a furry thread I'm going to hijack it into a Mac vs PC debated! Rrrrrrrrah!
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby CaptainClaude on Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:46 pm

mac ads are smug. that's what they are.

there was one that i liked with mac and PC holding a card that said "we get along better than it seems". like a soothing balm.

semi related: I am loving this right clicky mighty mouse business though. s'yummy.
CaptainClaude
Witty British President

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:00 pm

Why is there never a PC vs Linux or Mac vs Linux flamewar? Or a PC vs Mac vs Linux threesome? Linux is like the poor cousin that gets ignored at the family reunion but who goes about doing all the dishes and ignoring the fact that they're being ignored...
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

I DON'T THINK IDEALOGUE IS EVEN A WORD

Postby Cope on Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:10 pm

I'm more of a Megadrive idealogue, myself.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic