What's up with furries?

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics

Postby Rock_dash on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:01 pm

YEAH YOU GUYS STOP HAVING A MEANINGFUL, WELL THOUGHT OUT CONVERSATION

GOD, SOME PEOPLE
Rock_dash
NOTHING

Postby Prettysenshi on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:05 pm

rkolter wrote:You are making a serious mountain out of a molehill. It's a silly, fluff comic about a furry society. It's not creepy and disturbing, unless you dwell too long on it.

It's not creepy? Explain.

No serious look is taken at their world because it is not a real world, and is only superficially treated as one. There's plenty of lawyers, but nobody sues over their daddy being eaten and his remains sold at a supermarket.

O_o

If you're not kidding, that's enough reason for me not to read that comic. I was curious what all the hubblub was about, but now, no way.
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Postby McDuffies on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:33 pm

It is a disturbing comic indeed.Intelligent creatures eating each other is not a taboo for no reason. There's a reason why Coyote never gets Road Runner. One of K&K's main premises is to break this taboo, thus the comic is very consciously disturbing. Which is not really why I'd criticise it, I like disturbing when done well.

We dwell too long on it for sheer size of it's archives if nothing else.
There are reocurring themes that he hammers in with every storyline and by the time you're a few years into the comic, certain patterns are already established. There's other comics that do the same "intelligent animals eat each other" thing as K&K, but only K&K calls so loudly to interpret it this way. Why?

Perhaps it's because it's not exactly shallow fluff, it's goes deep halfway and then stops. If it's fluff, why does he go through the trouble of explaining why Kell doesn't eat Kevin? Why doesn't he just take that for granted and then focus on consequences, which are the actual fun part? But he tries to get analytic about their relationships, but when this causes contradictions with previously said things, he loses courage, backs away and returns to the fluff ground.
I don't buy the "fluff" theory. It sounds like beginner artist saying "that's my style".
Last edited by McDuffies on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Prettysenshi on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:49 pm

mcDuffies wrote:Uh... so what you're saying is basically that I'll like the comic if I stop thinking while I read it?

Are you asking me or Ryan?
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Postby McDuffies on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:53 pm

Ha ha, I'm busted. :wink: Was asking Ryan but it's not what I actually wanted to say anyway,
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby The Neko on Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:48 pm

mcDuffies wrote:If it's fluff, why does he go through the trouble of explaining why Kell doesn't eat Kevin?

True, if he never brought people's attention to it, people would have just assumed it was just a part of the immutable premise. But instead, it's just inviting people to question it. The more he defines of his universe, the worse it gets.

It's like... imagine Warner Bros. making a cartoon that explains biologically why Bugs can walk on two feet and talk, or why Elmer Fudd is somehow shorter than him. It brings your attention to what it's trying to explain away, which is contrary to the purpose of explaining it.
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude

Postby Rkolter on Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:25 am

prettysenshi wrote:
mcDuffies wrote:Uh... so what you're saying is basically that I'll like the comic if I stop thinking while I read it?

Are you asking me or Ryan?

Heh. I'll answer it even though prettysenshi grabbed it before Mcduffies could edit it away, because it's a valid question -

Yes McDuffies - that is what I'm saying. I regularly watch movies and suspend my disbelief. I don't have a problem with not digging too deeply into K&K's world and just reading as I go. It's just not a serious comic.

I equate the rampant eating of each other in K&K to cartoon violence. It's done for comedic effect. You never see characters sobbing over the loss of a loved one due to predation because that's not what the comic emphasizes. Likewise, while Warner Bros could, and DID, make a cartoon showing what cartoon violence would really be like (Remember "Kill Da Rabbit"? I burst into tears as a little kid when I first saw that), they don't emphasize that aspect of cartoon violence.

K&K just isn't disturbing. It could be, if the artist went that direction. But, it isn't.

The Neko wrote:It's like... imagine Warner Bros. making a cartoon that explains biologically why Bugs can walk on two feet and talk, or why Elmer Fudd is somehow shorter than him. It brings your attention to what it's trying to explain away, which is contrary to the purpose of explaining it.

I really don't have an answer to this. It's a valid point. In hindsight, the whole domestication thing is a direction I didn't care for in K&K. But I don't think that (as an example) causes K&K to be a disturbing comic.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Postby McDuffies on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:09 am

Heh. I'll answer it even though prettysenshi grabbed it before Mcduffies could edit it away, because it's a valid question -

Yes McDuffies - that is what I'm saying. I regularly watch movies and suspend my disbelief. I don't have a problem with not digging too deeply into K&K's world and just reading as I go. It's just not a serious comic.

It's not really a good question, I edited it out for the reason that I answered it to myself seconds later. But I don't think that it applies to K&K because I don't think that K&K acts like fluff all the time - at times we're presented with consequences of such world, and at other times, when things get too complicated for author, that's avoided. We're invited to care about characters in a very dangerous world, but asked to act as if there's no danger for them. Sometimes we're asked to think, other times we're asked not to think. The problem is, simply, the comic is not consistent in being shallow.

For me, the main problem with the whole social darvinism is so strongly present in the comic that I actually have to keep reminding myself that it's all just a harmless fluffy comic. I end up actually thinking more.
I would have seriously thought that I'm thinking too much into this, but since there are several people having same thoughts independently from me, I can only conclude that we noticed something that is actively present in the comic and not just in our imaginations.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Datachasers on Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:27 pm

Dr Neo Lao wrote:Considering the stigma some people put on furry comics, I wonder if anyone has made a CGI furry comic?

Or gone for a CGI, fanfic furry comic for the trifecta of "most hated"? :D

yes its called "changes" and no i dont have a link.... poser 4 ( i think thats what hes/She useing . :D i dont read it but ive seen it ...

:ick:
Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat.
-- R. Heinlein
Datachasers
Regular Poster

Postby MixedMyth on Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:07 pm

Could be worse. What if it were a sprite comic? :wink:
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain

Postby Mvmarcz on Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:21 pm

that's it we need a furry sprite comic RIGHT NOW
NJ: "You know the drill, you're AWESOME!"
I am the artist formerly known as M2
Mvmarcz
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rkolter on Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:55 pm

mvmarcz wrote:that's it we need a furry sprite comic RIGHT NOW

With lots of yiffing and vore.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter

Postby MixedMyth on Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:30 pm

rkolter wrote:

The funniest part is that you probably couldn't even tell but for the word baloons.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain

Postby Jim North on Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:08 pm

rkolter wrote:

That's, like, 75% of Sonic the Hedgehog sprite comics.

At least.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

taking K&K way too seriously

Postby Sharkfin on Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:10 pm

I think some of you are taking K&K way too seriously. Please don’t forget: It’s only a comic strip. What are you going to do next? Try to figure out how snoopy can sleep on top of a peak roofed dog house without falling off?

Bill Holbrook lives here in Norcross Georgia not more than 30 miles from me. I actually see him at least once a month at our cartoonist get-together. And from the times I’ve talked with him, I don’t get the filling that he’s being malicious at all. He’s come up with a cast of exaggerated characters, and he’s trying to bend their circumstances to form a funny outcome. Just like any other comic strip artist does.

If you guys really want I can print this thread off and ask him about it next time I see him.

While I’ve got everyone’s attention, will someone please write something in my comic’s forum.
Come see my webcomic!!
Sharkfin
Regular Poster

Postby The Mortician on Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:22 pm

Meh. Fanatics on any subject are crazy no matter what.
The Mortician
Cartoon Hero

Re: taking K&K way too seriously

Postby The Neko on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:19 pm

Sharkfin wrote:While I’ve got everyone’s attention, will someone please write something in my comic’s forum.

jag saknar självförtroende
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude

Postby Mvmarcz on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:55 pm

This thread isn't just about K&K THAT thread is in GD.
This thread is just about the explanation and analysis of a genre
NJ: "You know the drill, you're AWESOME!"
I am the artist formerly known as M2
Mvmarcz
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kisai on Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:18 am

datachasers wrote:
Dr Neo Lao wrote:Considering the stigma some people put on furry comics, I wonder if anyone has made a CGI furry comic?

Or gone for a CGI, fanfic furry comic for the trifecta of "most hated"? :D

yes its called "changes" and no i dont have a link.... poser 4 ( i think thats what hes/She useing . :D i dont read it but ive seen it ...

:ick:

Give me 5 minutes, I can find the one on CG before it abrubtly ended.

Oh hay... there's two.
http://threedcomics.keenspace.com (2005) -> http://imago-comics.com/
http://smithstone.comicgenesis.com/ (warning, adult, 2003)

And nearly everything made in poser... looks the same.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby Birdie on Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:16 am

Jim North wrote:
rkolter wrote:

That's, like, 75% of Sonic the Hedgehog sprite comics.

At least.

what about? http://sff.comicgenesis.com I'm still a bit confused on what makes a comic furry... but it's kind of like a furry sprite comic right?
"I find the first strip on this site incredibly offensive and awful" - Scott Kurtz
SuperFightFight More Filling than Douche Juice!
Birdie
Keeps telling everyone stuff

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic