Comics you buy.

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
User avatar
[AlmightyPyro]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 5339
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:12 pm
Location: noitacoL

Comics you buy.

Post by [AlmightyPyro] »

I'm sure we've had a thread like this before, but I am just curious. We're all comic artists/writer/etc. (more or less) so I was just wondering what comic do y'all buy and read on any kind of regular basis.
Me? I'm a Spiderman kinda guy myself. Kingpin totally deserves what's coming to him. If Spidey doesn't kill his ass this time I'm gonna be pissed. No one hurts Aunt May and gets away with it! :P
Other than that, I read the Civil War comics while it lasted. What about y'all?
I'm glad 90's style forum signatures don't exist anymore.

User avatar
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.

Post by Jackhass »

Heh, ahhhh...it feels good to be in a place where it's okay to admit you collect comics.

I've got a pull list so I only have to go into the store once a month or so. On it I've got...

Batman, Detective Comics, The Spirit, Y: The Last Man, The Exterminators, Desolation Jones, Savage Dragon, All Star Superman, All Star Batman...uhhh, and those are all the regular series.

I'll add extra mini-series here and there (for instance I'm buying the new Hellboy series) and sometimes I'll pick up a manga paperback or two (this month got the two new Gunsmith Cats Burst books).
Image

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Usagi Yojimbo and Fullmetal Alchemist are the only things I read that come out on a regular basis. Semi Regular stuff I look for are anything by Dan Clowes and Craig Thompson. I check out James Kolchaka stuff and Jhonen Vasquez too. Or whatever looks interesting on the racks.
Image

User avatar
Jae87
Regular Poster
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:23 pm
Location: Probably Lurking on some poor innocent website...
Contact:

Post by Jae87 »

I buy so much Manga (Not so much 'comics')... I could list them but it'd be too long, so i'll sum it up with faves...

Shounen:
Death Note
Black Cat

Shojo:
Fruit's Basket
Full Moon (w)O Sagashite
Image Image Image

User avatar
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.

Post by Jackhass »

theSuburbanLetdown wrote:Usagi Yojimbo and Fullmetal Alchemist are the only things I read that come out on a regular basis. Semi Regular stuff I look for are anything by Dan Clowes and Craig Thompson. I check out James Kolchaka stuff and Jhonen Vasquez too. Or whatever looks interesting on the racks.
I buy Usagi Yojimbo when it gets collected since it seems the suit the big epic storylines better.
Image

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!

User avatar
CaptainClaude
Witty British President
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:50 am
Location: SITTING ON A BOMB IN A GREENHOUSE.
Contact:

Post by CaptainClaude »

ohhhhhhhh jeez

Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-man and Sensational spider-man just got cancelled soooo...

Amazing Spider-man, Y: the last man, American Virgin, Hellblazer, Ultimate Spider-man, Ultimate X men, Ultimate Fantastic Four, The Ultimates, Booster Gold, The Goon, Anything Hellboy or BPRD, MODOK's 11, Anything Lobo that doesnt involve Wildstorm Characters. Maybe the new mark waid flash stuff, I'm trying it out, don't like his kids.

Things I get when the books come out but are still ongoing:
Runaways, Powers, Fables, Invincible

Waiting for:
Countdown to adventure.

User avatar
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.

Post by Jackhass »

Anything Hellboy or BPRD
The new Hellboy is freakin' great...even without Mignola drawing it.
Image

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!

User avatar
Cope
Incompetent Monster
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: Masked man of mystery
Contact:

Tracey Yardley and Ian Flynn ftw.

Post by Cope »

Only Sonic the Hedgehog these days.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

User avatar
Zwuh
Purple Man
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:11 am
Location: Under.

Post by Zwuh »

World War Hulk
Avengers: The Initiative
Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man
All Flash
Ultimate Spider-Man
Wolverine Origins
Mystic Arcana
Annihilation: Quasar
Countdown
Ghost Rider
WWH X-Men
Sidekick
Hack/Slash
The Order
WWH Front Line
Amazing Spider-Man
Annihilation: Star Lord
Blue Beetle
Cable Deadpool
Elephantmen
Fear Agent Last Goodbye
Green Lantern Corps
HellBlazer
Heroes For Hire
Immortal Iron Fist
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man
Mighty Avengers
Sensational Spider-Man
Silver Surfer Requiem
Star Wars KotOR
Tank Girl The Gifting
Thor
Ultimate Fantastic Four
Wolverine
X-Men
All New Atom
Exterminators
Fantastic Four
Ms Marvel
Supergirl
Chronicles of Wormwood
Metal Men
New Avengers Illuminati
New Warriors
She-Hulk
Spider-Man Red Sonja
Booster Gold
Flash
Shrugged
Spider-Man Family
Super Villain Team-Up MODOKS 11
Terror Inc
Bomb Queen

That is my standing order list for the last few weeks, but there may be more I forgot to put on...

Oh and I buy the trades for Invincible and Exiles. I also knit!
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one" -George Bernard Shaw

"Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! ..But He loves you." -George Carlin

User avatar
CaptainClaude
Witty British President
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:50 am
Location: SITTING ON A BOMB IN A GREENHOUSE.
Contact:

Post by CaptainClaude »

a list so big it's reminding me of ones I've forgotten.

User avatar
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.

Re: Tracey Yardley and Ian Flynn ftw.

Post by Jackhass »

Cope wrote:Only Sonic the Hedgehog these days.
Is Archie comics still making those things?
Image

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

I buy Usagi Yojimbo. The rabbit ronin seems quite popular hereabouts.

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)
Posts: 9158
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
Contact:

Post by Yeahduff »

Wouldn't it be so neat if we had an entire forum dedicated to talking about comics? Man, we should talk to the admins about that.
Image
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

User avatar
The Mortician
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1705
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:59 pm
Contact:

Post by The Mortician »

Last time I bought a comic it was 2, maybe 3 years ago. And that was from the bargain bin of neglected comics. Only bought from the store for the art.

User avatar
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.

Post by Jackhass »

Joel Fagin wrote:I buy Usagi Yojimbo. The rabbit ronin seems quite popular hereabouts.

- Joel Fagin
Anyone who wants to be a better cartoonist darn well *should* be reading it and paying close attention, even if the specific style isn't your thing.
Image

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!

User avatar
Cope
Incompetent Monster
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: Masked man of mystery
Contact:

But my newsagent gets it 2 months late! Grrrr....

Post by Cope »

Jackhass wrote:
Cope wrote:Only Sonic the Hedgehog these days.
Is Archie comics still making those things?
Ho yeah. I've been loving it since Tracey Yardley and Ian Flynn started working on it.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

I used to collect comics. But I sold 'em all except a few issues of Lobo, my entire Sandman collection, the first Magic the Gathering comic, and the few comics from comic artists I've bought.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Post by Killbert-Robby »

Deadpool!
Image

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Jackhass wrote:
Joel Fagin wrote:I buy Usagi Yojimbo. The rabbit ronin seems quite popular hereabouts.

- Joel Fagin
Anyone who wants to be a better cartoonist darn well *should* be reading it and paying close attention, even if the specific style isn't your thing.
Yeah, he's won several Eisner Awards for a reason. They don't just hand those out.

I met Stan Sakai at a convention last year. I asked him to sign my Art of Usagi Book, and he drew a picture in it instead.
Image

User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here
Contact:

Post by Jim North »

The Amazing Spider-Girl - I am sooooo glad they started Spider-Girl back up. Tom DeFalco brings just the right mix of new school hero and old school storytelling. Now if they'd just bring back Spider-Man 2099, too . . . having him in Exiles is pretty neat, but not really the same.

Cable & Deadpool - Fabian Nicieza is one of the best damn comic writers out there, and his take on CnD is oh so delightfully demented. Or, well, maybe just D now since C went all 'splodey. And D is just a great character anyway, no matter who's writing him. And who couldn't like Bob, Former Agent of Hydra?

Spider-Man - I've been reading Spider-Mans off and on for the past twenty years, and I've been on again since the very first Civil War junk started up. It saddens me deeply to hear that Friendly Neighborhood is getting cancelled . . . hopefully they'll still have Peter David writing Spidey somewhere in the rest of the titles. Or maybe they could put him on a Spidey 2099 revival . . .

Sonic the Hedgehog - As much as Archie has pissed me off over the years, I still keep buying these 'cause I'm hardcore, yo.
Cope wrote:
Jackhass wrote:
Cope wrote:Only Sonic the Hedgehog these days.
Is Archie comics still making those things?
Ho yeah. I've been loving it since Tracey Yardley and Ian Flynn started working on it.
Ah, good ol' Ian "the Potto" Flynn. Used to read his fanfics as well as his fancomic Other M for a while, and I believe we were members of the same Sonic mailing list way back in the day. Good guy. Several times better at comic writing than that complete chucklehead Bollers and the sadly degraded Penders. I definitely like that he's been working to make the Archie Sonicverse so much more cohesive than before, actually picking up characters and plotlines that had been so casually tossed aside before and doing something with them.

But!

A few of the things he's done just don't make any sort of sense whatsoever. The biggest, most recent, and most mind-boggling of all of them being Sonic and crew letting Eggman go! They had him! They had him! There could've been no more war! They could've ended the whole thing right then and there, he kept trying to attack them even though he was in their power, and they just kept saying "You run along now, buddy, shoo!" like he was just a stray dog that wandered into their yard! Idiots! Stick his ass in a deep dank dungeon cell forever and have done with it!

arglefarglebargleargle

Other - Besides those main four (or so), I tend to just pick up whatever else tickles my fancy at the time. Which, due to financial concerns, isn't often very much. Comics were always an expensive hobby, and damn if they aren't just getting more and more that way.

I probably would go back to reading X-Men if I could, since I used to be a huge X-reader back in the 90's . . . but every time I pick up an issue nowadays, I get seasick from trying to figure out just what the heck is going on anymore. At least Spider-Man is still Spider-Man no matter how they're trying muddle his origin story now. You can still pick up an issue of Spider-Man and be reasonably sure that it's still Spider-Man you're going to be reading about. These new X-people? It's like they all got replaced by Skrulls a few years back or something.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

Locked