Page 1 of 6

World Cup 2006

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:48 am
by Dr Legostar
World Cup's almost upon us, anyone else besides me care enough to watch?

Go Serbia-Montenegro! (even though you don't stand a chance in hell)

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:50 am
by TheSuburbanLetdown
Football is pretty cool. Dunno why it's not popular in the US. I mean, baseball is the most boring thing in the universe and everyone watches that.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:19 am
by Rickford
Bah. I'm English and I can't stand the game. Although apparently I'm a very rare breed. It annoys me that I can't go in the pub without being subjected to Potatofaced Wayne bleeding "Oh, Oiv ert me foot" Rooney.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:24 am
by KittyKatBlack
PeppermintAfterlife wrote:Football is pretty cool. Dunno why it's not popular in the US. I mean, baseball is the most boring thing in the universe and everyone watches that.
Actually, Baseball is third in popularity for sports in the US. American Football is first, followed by Basketball, and then Baseball from what I can tell. As for Soccer (Or Football, as the rest of the world calls it.) it's probably places right under Hockey.

And yes, being a mixture of an American who doesn't like sports in general, even the ones that are popular here, I know nothing, and care nothing about Soccer. I just thought I'd point out that baseball isn't really as popular as it used to be, from what I can tell.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:25 am
by TheSuburbanLetdown
Oh yeah, Baseball is totally not as popular as it used to be. But everywhere I go I still hear about it.

Sports fans in general piss me off. It's really the weirdest fandom I've ever seen.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:27 am
by Tynan
Weirder than furries?

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:30 am
by KittyKatBlack
Tynan wrote:Weirder than furries?
Much.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:33 am
by TheSuburbanLetdown
KittyKatBlack wrote:
Tynan wrote:Weirder than furries?
Much.
They paint their faces and travel all over the world to watch men play with their balls. Then they beat up people who like the opposing team and riot whether their team wins or loses.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:35 am
by Rkolter
I don't mind watching soccer - sometimes people get hurt, or do some incredible feat of leaping and kicking, and that's cool.

Then again, I watch Nascar for the crashes, and only watch football or baseball when my team is winning. I record the commercials during the Super Bowl sometimes, and end up watching the game because of that.

Overall, watching sports is blah to me.

Re: World Cup 2006

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:50 am
by Skylark King
legostargalactica wrote:
Go Serbia-Montenegro!
I thought that 55.5% meant that you can say Go Serbia! or Go Montenegro! but that there was no Serbia-Montenegro. Unless the timing meant that for WC purposes there is still a Serbia-Montengro team despite the fact that there is no longer a Serbia/Montengro (being seperate entities, now)

McDuff the crime do..cat... What's the call here? You rooting for Serbia and Montengro or just Serbia?

Re: World Cup 2006

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:54 am
by Dr Legostar
Skylark_King wrote:
legostargalactica wrote:
Go Serbia-Montenegro!
I thought that 55.5% meant that you can say Go Serbia! or Go Montenegro! but that there was no Serbia-Montenegro. Unless the timing meant that for WC purposes there is still a Serbia-Montengro team despite the fact that there is no longer a Serbia/Montengro (being seperate entities, now)

McDuff the crime do..cat... What's the call here? You rooting for Serbia and Montengro or just Serbia?
the team is listed as serbia-montenegro, so that's who i root for.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:56 am
by Subhuman
Oy, soccer. You hear shit like that guy in Brazil or wherever who shot his son because the kid accidentally broke the TV antenna during the World Cup and it's like, dude. Sports fans are weird and scary, I'm sorry. Especially the hockey variety. Especially if you're the only Canadian who doesn't give a rusty hoot about hockey. Especially if you kinda wish Don Cherry would choke on his own bile during one of those endless Hockey Nights in Canada.

Sorry, I'm bitter. Woo, World Cup! Go England! I guess!

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:51 am
by Doll
I hate sport of any kind. It makes me think of exercise *shudder*

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:08 pm
by CaptainClaude
Subhuman wrote:Oy, soccer.
No, football. you play it with your feet.

oh hey, check it out, I passed 3000 posts two ago. I owe the forum something awesome now...

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:45 pm
by Dutch!
It isn't usually called football Down Here either. Australian Rules or the two rugby codes are usually called football first, depending on which part of the country you are from. Here it's just called soccer or wog-ball, although that's frowned upon now.

I'll be watching bits and pieces, although I'm not a fan, but the Socceroos are in the World Cup for only the second time, first since 1974, so I'll cheer on the green and gold.

We're in Brazil's section so we won't be cheering long, eh?

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:54 pm
by Grabmygoblin
I'm with everyone else who said "blea, sports". typically I don't watch any at all, except when channel surfing or maybe the "big game".

I sometimes watch baseball, if it is either the red sox, the cubs or the mets, because they almost never win and I like to root for the underdog.

if the Buffalo Bills are doing well, I might tune in. if the Texans, the Cowboys or the Dolphins are playing, I might watch and root for whoever is playing them.

I will watch tennis for a moment, because I recognize the skill required.

I like watching snowboarding because no one can deny that isn't cool. the only way you could make snowboarding any cooler would be to add jetpacks.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:59 pm
by CaptainClaude
Dutch! wrote:It isn't usually called football Down Here either.
So you're wrong too? thats nice.

England got five up on brazil last time i watched. didnt see the end though, but 5-0 is difficult to come back from.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:04 pm
by Dr Legostar
ryclaude wrote:
Dutch! wrote:It isn't usually called football Down Here either.
So you're wrong too? thats nice.

England got five up on brazil last time i watched. didnt see the end though, but 5-0 is difficult to come back from.
if anyone could come back from that it's brazil. I saw a bunch of picks people had for the teams in Serbia's group... everyone picked the two they thought would move on, no one picked serbia... so it's likely i won't be cheering long either.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:55 pm
by Czar
I don't care much for sports, but I'll admit interest whenever Sweden partakes in the finals of an international tournament in either of the big three:
Handball, football or hockey.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:05 pm
by Phact0rri
heh, me and some girls at work were drooling over the boys from the morocco team. Definatly I'll be watching.. though I've not seen to many games, the US team is supposed to be fairly decent this year.