Page 1 of 4
Survey: How do you pronounce the file extension .gif?
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:33 am
by Driving Without Pants
Settle a bet.
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:35 am
by Joel Fagin
Hard, like gift without the 't'. Seemed a logical word to liken it to for me.
- Joel Fagin
Git out ov it!
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:38 am
by Cope
Hard G, as in git.
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:39 am
by CaptainClaude
I pronounce it like girraffe. of Jif, the cleaning product.
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:41 am
by Mercury Hat
Like Jiffy peanut butter

!
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:48 am
by IVstudios
Usually with the hard "G." But I sometimes slip and say Jif.
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:50 am
by Avatar007
Joel Fagin wrote:Hard, like gift without the 't'. Seemed a logical word to liken it to for me.
- Joel Fagin
Me too. Although, I think subconsciously I pronounce it this way because the acronym stands for "Graphical Interchange Format", which obviously has the hard 'g' sound.
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:56 am
by CaptainClaude
avatar__007 wrote:Joel Fagin wrote:Hard, like gift without the 't'. Seemed a logical word to liken it to for me.
- Joel Fagin
Me too. Although, I think subconsciously I pronounce it this way because the acronym stands for "Graphical Interchange Format", which obviously has the hard 'g' sound.
NEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD!
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:56 am
by Driving Without Pants
Apparently the fellows at CompuServe who invented the format say it should be pronounced "Jif"; it says so right in the original specifications from 1987 (apparently the peanut butter pun was too difficult to resist). But common usage seems to dictate that it's pronounced with a hard G, logically following the pronunciation of "graphics" (as in Graphics Interchange Format).
So, CompuServe be damned, I'm pronouncing it with a hard G. Say it loud, say it proud!
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:03 am
by Avatar007
ryclaude wrote:avatar__007 wrote:Joel Fagin wrote:Hard, like gift without the 't'. Seemed a logical word to liken it to for me.
- Joel Fagin
Me too. Although, I think subconsciously I pronounce it this way because the acronym stands for "Graphical Interchange Format", which obviously has the hard 'g' sound.
NEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD!
You've got it all wrong... it's my subconscious that's the nerd!
I guess I'm kind of a conscious nerd too...
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:06 am
by Nutcracker
Joel Fagin wrote:Hard, like gift without the 't'.
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:12 am
by Rkolter
Hard like Gift, minus the T.
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:13 am
by TheSuburbanLetdown
Ths correct answer is "jiff."
I still pronounce it "gif" like gift though.
edited for horrific grammar.
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:40 am
by War
Jiff is supposed to be pronounced like yiff though.
Do you really want to talk about yiffs?
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:01 am
by Mvmarcz
hard G it just makes sense that way
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:08 am
by Nyke
Yeah, I pronounce it with a soft G sound. It's right behind an "i", so it's pronounced like "j".
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:19 am
by Warren
Like the "j" because of it's association with porn.
(Get a hard-on in a GIF-fy!)
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:27 am
by TheSuburbanLetdown
War wrote:Jiff is supposed to be pronounced like yiff though.
Do you really want to talk about yiffs?
Jiff is pronounced like yiff? I thought it had the "J" sound.
And there will be no talking about yiff here.
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:39 am
by Jim North
Both.
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:44 am
by Vorticus
What joel and rkolter said.