Page 1 of 2

Googlemaps + Flickr = teh cool.

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:33 am
by JPSloan
I saw someone used the satellite feature of GoogleMaps to save his old stomping grounds, and then uploaded it to Flickr to annotate points of interest.

I couldn't fit all of my points of interest down into my old neighborhood, but here is my hometown of Baton Rouge, Louisiana:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42573799@N00/8635861/

I thought this was kind of interesting.

(Edit)
Here is a closer one of my neighborhood:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42573799@N00/8637651/

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:40 am
by Sput
woah, neat. I would try it but i don't stay in one place very long, though it'd be cool to see round rock now that it's huge~

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:14 pm
by Pimpette
Boo, my area doesn't get enough notice to be seen in any amount of detail. I found the collection of streets that make up my general neighbourhood, but couldn't get very close before google announced that "We're sorry, but we don't have imagery at this zoom level for this region. Try zooming out for a broader look."
Bah.


I did find this interesting image of the CN Tower though.
Image
Took me a while to actually see it..

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:24 pm
by War
Y'might have better luck with terraserver then.

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:58 pm
by Rianeva
My old high school. I've been on that roof. And thrown things off that roof.

And part of my university's campus. The round thing is Drumheller Fountain, and at the top center you can see part of Red Square (Which actually looks red if you go there and look at it. =p).

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:01 pm
by Toxic
Wow, I can see my old high school from here.

Image

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:25 pm
by Pimpette
War wrote:Y'might have better luck with terraserver then.
It appears to be only US-oriented..

...unless I'm missing something, which happens often. =/

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:48 pm
by Jim North
Woo hoo!

Image

Mailbomb party at my place!

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:06 am
by Kirb
I feel vaguely unconfortable that satellites can see clearly into my backyard.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:21 am
by Pillywiggin
Kirb wrote:I feel vaguely unconfortable that satellites can see clearly into my backyard.
Yeah. They can see the trampoline in my backyard.

I tan there sometimes....

:oops:

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:23 am
by Carlin
The really good ones can read the time on your watch...

My city, and my house. This thing is cool! Although the pics are kinda old. Because where a tree is in that pic now there is a patch of dirt. And a new tree off to the left. And that field on the far left has been thoroughly developed now... Sheesh, Lowel street goes right through that place now. When was this pic taken?

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:56 am
by Joel Fagin
Image

My house, courtesy of the Department of Land Administration website. It's a great website to show internet beginners (whom I occassionally get to teach). Of course, I usually focus in on the college where I do the teaching and let them find their own houses after that.

It was also one of the first to provide such a service and it really freaked people out when I posted these satelitte pictures on forums back when they were unique.

- Joel Fagin

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:55 pm
by Toxic
Actually...upon further inspection...

Image

HOLY CRAP THERE IS A POOL ON THE ROOF

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:15 pm
by Driving Without Pants
Whoa, this is fun.

All locations are labeled as we referred to them when I was a kid.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:42 am
by Grabmygoblin
Driving Without Pants wrote:Whoa, this is fun.

All locations are labeled as we referred to them when I was a kid.
haha you lived in the burbs

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:01 am
by Nyke
Dang, this map thing is outdated.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:40 pm
by Alaina
This was taken a year ago (is creeped out).

I wish we had a pool. The red scribbles is where a "mansion" was built this summer.

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:15 am
by Toxic
Wow, that's a lot of pools.

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:00 am
by Jim North
DarkMagician wrote:Dang, this map thing is outdated.
Yah, noticed that. In my picture, there should be some more houses in the bottom left hand corner and a bunch of construction work towards the top where they're putting in a new road.

Still, I've been living at these apartments for a few years now, so there's still the possibility that one or two of those little cars is mine and/or Kat's.

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:06 am
by LAGtheNoggin
Woah, lookit all the planes O.o

[quote="GoogleSightseeing"]the