How would one go about getting an artist?

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
Spriteville, USA
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2060
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:14 pm

How would one go about getting an artist?

Post by Spriteville, USA »

Simple Question: How would a writer go about getting an artist to help with a comic project?

Explanation: I'm considering this. I'm not a great artist, but before people go and tell me to just do it and get better, I agree with you. And normally I would. I do practice drawing. But I won't be good enough for a long time yet for this project. The inspiration is from a friend who passed away this recent fall. So it's actually quite important to me and I don't want to screw it up.

So how would someone go about this? I assume that actual writing ability counts, (this isn't a biographty of my friend either. It's based loosely on what happened to him, but he was more of a friend of one of my best friends. So there's lots of gaps and things I will fill.

So how would one go about asking for an artist? Is it even a likely possibility? I know I'll have to show some impressive word working, but that's ok. I'll do my best. At any rate, I'll be writing and refining the story until the time comes that I get the help of an artist, or I can do it myself. I'm not impatient.

User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.
Contact:

Post by Mercury Hat »

It's hard to find an artist willing to draw for someone else. I know there's a forum on Talk About Comics, you might have some luck there.

Or you could steal Bloodknight's artist. Go on, you know you want to.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Post by JexKerome »

Try "Artist Depot".

Otherwise, what the kitsune said.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

I could give you a long and boring lecture about becoming your own artist and...other stuff. I'm tired. Nevermind.
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
LAGtheNoggin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2532
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: the sea side
Contact:

Post by LAGtheNoggin »

As Mr.Bob said in lands far away:
The Village Idiot wrote:*set up an elaborate pulley and wire triggering mechanism connected to a large overhanging metal cage above the cassrole*
Image

User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.
Contact:

Post by Mercury Hat »

JexKerome wrote:Try "Artist Depot".

Otherwise, what the kitsune said.
Boo, you hit a peeve of mine. I am not a kitsune. I never will be a kitsune. I am a freak of nature with fox ears and a tail. How I got that way, I don't know, but we think my father made enemies with a gypsy or something.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Post by JexKerome »

*Writes that down in his List of Ways to Annoy people*
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

User avatar
Sketch286
Regular Poster
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by Sketch286 »

I'd help! but my art really isn't all that great and my teachers are trying to destroy all joy and peace with massive amounts of homework

User avatar
Numina
Regular Poster
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:30 pm

Post by Numina »

Mercury Hat wrote: Boo, you hit a peeve of mine. I am not a kitsune. I never will be a kitsune.
But would a kitsune admit to being a kitsune?

They're tricksy.
Image

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

I am assuming kitsune is something to do with anime and Japan and therefore so far removed from my world you couldn't see it with the Hubble telescope.

What the hell are you lot talking about?
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Leko
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Wandering my psyche in search of my mind
Contact:

Post by Leko »

A kitsune's something like a Japanese fox demon. They have several tails and are not particularly friendly creatures, as far as I know.

That's not very far, however. *shrug*
Thespiphobia: (n) An irrational fear of actors.
From Greek: thespian (actor), phobos (fear).
Image Image Image
ImageANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!

User avatar
Cope
Incompetent Monster
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: Masked man of mystery
Contact:

Post by Cope »

Ladies and gents, I present to you, the Kitsune.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

A kitsune is mischeivous fox spirit (or kami). They often play rough and can be very dangerous. Not to be confused with foxfires.

Random trivia: There's a Japanese mythological beast which is a one-eyed hopping umberella called a bakegasa.

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.
Contact:

Post by Mercury Hat »

Numina wrote:
Mercury Hat wrote: Boo, you hit a peeve of mine. I am not a kitsune. I never will be a kitsune.
But would a kitsune admit to being a kitsune?

They're tricksy.
I'm dead serious. Call me a kitsune and I'll get ornery.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring

User avatar
Kris X
Forum Pocket Kitten
Posts: 2728
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:08 pm
Location: Forum Pocket.
Contact:

Post by Kris X »

Mercury Hat wrote:
Numina wrote:
Mercury Hat wrote: Boo, you hit a peeve of mine. I am not a kitsune. I never will be a kitsune.
But would a kitsune admit to being a kitsune?

They're tricksy.
I'm dead serious. Call me a kitsune and I'll get ornery.
Hmmm.
Image
PK Comics meets Gaming genre.

User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.
Contact:

Post by Mercury Hat »

Kris X wrote:
Mercury Hat wrote:
Numina wrote: But would a kitsune admit to being a kitsune?

They're tricksy.
I'm dead serious. Call me a kitsune and I'll get ornery.
Hmmm.
Something you'd like to say, sir Image ?

Don't even think about playing the button-pushing game with me :P.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

We need War to say it. Irresistable force and immovable object and all that.

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

Okay. I'll just remain wary or the mental stability of anybody that gets involved with humanised animals...
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Post by JexKerome »

"Oh, I say. Calling me a duck is ridiculous. Sure, I look like a duck, quack like a duck, move about and fly like a duck, and swim like a duck. But for God's sake, call me a duck and I'll smite you. I am NO duck".
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

User avatar
Mr.Bob
:(
:(
Posts: 6895
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:12 am
Location: A box
Contact:

Post by Mr.Bob »

JexKerome wrote:"Oh, I say. Calling me a duck is ridiculous. Sure, I look like a duck, quack like a duck, move about and fly like a duck, and swim like a duck. But for God's sake, call me a duck and I'll smite you. I am NO duck".
Image

Locked