Page 1 of 1

I hate my college.

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:16 pm
by Nyke
See, my college has a unique way of scheduling times for classes.
  1. First, they gauge my diverse interests in various courses
  2. Then, they schedule classes I show an interest in the same time slot just to fuck with me.
Case in point: Japanese and art.

I have not taken an art course since the 8th grade. I really want to take one, but they've put them in the same time slots as other classes I wanted for two years.

Now, my Japanese teacher wants us to take up Intermediate Japanese I next semester for a trip to Japan during interim.

And of course, in schedule development, she proposed two times. One that was at the same time as the art class that I wanted to take, and another that would have been 100% A-Okay with me.

With the mild murmers, I figured I was the only one with a real reason backing my decision. Of course, my Social Anxiety Disorder acted up, so I couldn't get loud enough to break through them.

So, it looks like the scheduling will be against me. According to her, it's official, but to the college it's considered "course development", or "rough sketch of where we want to put classes".

So, now I have to choose between a Japanese class that'll allow me to go to Japan, and not being able to advance in art as much as I'd want; or the art class, and not being able to go to Japan for interim.

...I hate my college.

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:40 pm
by Genesis_13
That sucks so much. :cry:

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:16 pm
by Ian Moulding
This is how colleges or universities schedule their classes. It will be the same at every other post-secondary institution you try, no matter what classes you're interested in. I don't know how they manage such Platonic inconvenience, but I suspect time travel is involved.

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:57 pm
by Dr Legostar
Try scheduling anything at all around a required class that meets nine hours a week.

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:03 pm
by JexKerome
*Laughs at college kids in general and Nike in particular*

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:08 pm
by Numina
Art you can study and develop on your own. And there are art classes available even after you graduate from university.

College art classes are also very hit-or-miss.

For Japanese, you need a teacher and contact with other speakers, and you're not likely to get the opportunity to study it once you graduate.

So if you really want to study Japanese, I would recommend choosing that. Especially with a chance to go to Japan!

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:39 pm
by Dutch!
Been there, done that, pissed in the pond. If only all of life's big decisions were that important.

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:53 am
by Chrismills
Wait, you don't schedule your own classes?

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:10 am
by CapitanG
The answer to all of your problems lies in sunny Montana, DarkMagician! Come then to delightful University of Montana! Be awed by the freedom and impressed by the availability! Ooh, ahh indeed!

...I'm just lonely. Hope you get things straightened out.

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:51 pm
by Leko
There's simple reason for stuff like this. Colleges have finally realized that the 'college roomies' genre of comic strips are the foremost entertainment medium of modern days, and are attempting to provide more material for up-and-coming comic artists.

They're only trying to be helpful. Really. :P

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:35 pm
by Warren
But roomies strips are the wave of the future! It worked for Doonebury AND Bloom County!

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:37 pm
by Nyke
Leko wrote:There's simple reason for stuff like this. Colleges have finally realized that the 'college roomies' genre of comic strips are the foremost entertainment medium of modern days, and are attempting to provide more material for up-and-coming comic artists.

They're only trying to be helpful. Really. :P
So, if I jump on that genre, I could be sitting on a cash cow.

Damn Gameshow. Damn VBHnPI*.

*secret webcomic project: if I told you about it, I'd have to kill you.

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:12 pm
by The Neko
My school is pretty open to unique schedules. The only thing is when classes are in the same time slot, but that's just when you're out of luck.

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:14 pm
by Leko
DarkMagician wrote:
Leko wrote:There's simple reason for stuff like this. Colleges have finally realized that the 'college roomies' genre of comic strips are the foremost entertainment medium of modern days, and are attempting to provide more material for up-and-coming comic artists.

They're only trying to be helpful. Really. :P
So, if I jump on that genre, I could be sitting on a cash cow.

Damn Gameshow. Damn VBHnPI*.

*secret webcomic project: if I told you about it, I'd have to kill you.
So DM... tell me about VBHnPI. :)

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:23 pm
by Ian Moulding
DarkMagician wrote:Damn Gameshow. Damn VBHnPI*.

*secret webcomic project: if I told you about it, I'd have to kill you.
So all those times you talked in your sleep have put my life in danger?