costumed freaks

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics

do you celebrate Halloween?

Yes, yes I do.
50%
I pass out candy, that's it
10%
nope. I don't.
27%
WTF! Don't you read Jack Chick!? You can't celebrate halloween! you'll die in a horrible candy related accident and burn in HELL!!!!!
13%

Total votes : 30

costumed freaks

Postby CJBurgandy on Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:18 am

I know it's a little over 2 months away, but it's the time I year I start planning on what my halloween costume is going to be. (have to have time to actually make it)

Halloween is one of my most favorite holidays because I can dress in any bizaar costume I want to, and no one will think oddly of me (well not any more than they already do). So yeah....

Is anyone else costume crazy like me? Already planning on what you're wanting to be on all hallow's eve? I want to know... because I'm nosey.

So far my first idea that I was thinking is George Michael. I might change my mind a couple of times, but eventually I'll set my sights on an idea and not let go.

ImageImage
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger

Postby Rkolter on Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:38 am

Aside from the actual celebration of Samhain, we've got a couple traditions of our own too.

1) Give out GOBS of candy. We buy 50-75lbs of candy and give great handfuls out to kids.

2) Build huge Jack-o-Lantern displays that get into the news.

Last year I did a piece called Evolution - a 150lb Jack-o-Lantern eating a 60lb Jack-o-Lantern eating a 15lb Jack-o-Lantern eating a tiny little Jack-o-lantern with a terrified look on it's face.

Beth did the Pumpkin from hell - made a 100lb Jack-o-Lantern and then we soaked it's guts in kerosine, added wax, and Whom! it was shooting five foot flames out of it's mouth and eyes. Curious fact: Insulate your house with pumpkins. We kept that fire burning four hours, and the outside of the pumpkin never even got warm.

3) Scare the sh*t out of the kids.

I'm not satisfied unless at least one child runs away in terror and forgets to get any candy. My best disguise is as a ghoul (I make a hell of a ghoul) and handing out candy using a real, articulated skeletal human hand.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Postby JPSloan on Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:43 am

I think the answer on my end would be fairly obvious.

Each year, my circle tends to throw a huge frikkin' party for Samhain. (I posted a couple pics from last year's on my LJ recently)

This year the tygress and I are doing the whole Venetian Masquerade thing. We just inherited a couple authentic Carnival masks from Venice, and we're going to bung together some garb to go with them.
Ancient relic of a by-gone era.
JPSloan
Cartoon Hero

Postby Grabmygoblin on Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:58 am

I generally wear the same thing I wear anyday. ; )
Grabmygoblin
Cartoon Hero

Postby JexKerome on Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:16 am

rkolter wrote: My best disguise is as a ghoul (I make a hell of a ghoul) and handing out candy using a real, articulated skeletal human hand.

From what I've picked up from the surveillance cameras, you don't really need any disguise, Ryan nyo.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Zhan_Dvega on Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:14 am

Where the hell do you get 150 lb pumpkins? O_o
<a href="http://aiyaiyai.keenspace.com">Image</a>
Updates Sundaily
Zhan_Dvega
Regular Poster

Postby Rkolter on Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:26 am

Zhan_Dvega wrote:Where the hell do you get 150 lb pumpkins? O_o

There are a couple pumpkin farms outside of town. I put in requests. The biggest they've ever sold me was 225lbs. They keep anything over 250lbs for their "Kids Pumpkin Playground".
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
Rkolter

Postby Zhan_Dvega on Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:35 am

How much'd those cost?
<a href="http://aiyaiyai.keenspace.com">Image</a>
Updates Sundaily
Zhan_Dvega
Regular Poster

Postby Warren on Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:42 am

I usually go to a party, just like the characters in my strip.

Of course, if you read my strip, you already know that.
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
Proudly despised by ex-wives since 2008.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care
Warren
Cartoon Hero

Postby Nyke on Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:45 am

I just chose the last option just for the hell of it.
My LJ | ComicGen CoH/V | Vampire/Amazon looking for Betas. Want to sign up? PM me. | Figure out my Avatar's joke, and win bragging rights.
Nyke
Cartoon Villain

Postby Rkolter on Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:16 am

Zhan_Dvega wrote:How much'd those cost?

I don't remember exactly; about $0.20 a pound gives numbers that sound right. I think the 150lb one was around $30, and I'm pretty sure I've never paid over $50 for a pumpkin. Last year we spent about $120 for eight pumpkins with a combined weight of a quarter-ton.
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Postby Jim North on Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:23 am

Halloween is one of only two holidays I really give a damn about. The other is Christmas, but Halloween is the more important of the two.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to actually celebrate it effectively for several years due to low funds and lack of planning. The last time I got to really do anything for All Hallow's Eve was a few years ago when I took part in a haunted house kinda thing for the Wal-Mart my mom works at. It was pretty cool . . . my brother and a buddy of mine helped out as a werewolf and a mad scientist respectively. I was dressed all in black, myself, including one of those faceless masks, and scared people by reaching out from a hiding spot and tapping their shoulder. I was kind of surprised how many folks nearly jumped out of their skin just because a huge, lurking, just barely seen something suddenly grabbed at 'em and started screaming about their brains. ;)
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:34 am

It's not celebrated in Serbia, meh.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby JPSloan on Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:36 am

Jim North wrote:Halloween is one of only two holidays I really give a damn about. The other is Christmas, but Halloween is the more important of the two.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to actually celebrate it effectively for several years due to low funds and lack of planning. The last time I got to really do anything for All Hallow's Eve was a few years ago when I took part in a haunted house kinda thing for the Wal-Mart my mom works at. It was pretty cool . . . my brother and a buddy of mine helped out as a werewolf and a mad scientist respectively. I was dressed all in black, myself, including one of those faceless masks, and scared people by reaching out from a hiding spot and tapping their shoulder. I was kind of surprised how many folks nearly jumped out of their skin just because a huge, lurking, just barely seen something suddenly grabbed at 'em and started screaming about their brains. ;)

If you could stand the drive down to Baton Rouge, I'd invite you and Kat down to our party. It'll be hell on wheels!!!
JPSloan
Cartoon Hero

Postby CJBurgandy on Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:00 pm

Zhan_Dvega wrote:Where the hell do you get 150 lb pumpkins? O_o

only 150??

you should see some of the ones at the Alaska state fair. They can get upto 700lbs.

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News
CJBurgandy

Postby CJBurgandy on Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:10 pm

Jim North wrote:Halloween is one of only two holidays I really give a damn about. The other is Christmas, but Halloween is the more important of the two.

A lot of the times for halloween, my friends and I will do murder mystery parties. Last year we did one based off of the Anita Blake Novels. That was fun.

for the most part though, we party and go to the bar.

CJBurgandy

Postby JPSloan on Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:21 pm

Just because I like to torment you people...

...here is a taste of our Halloween parties.

Anita Blake murder mystery party? Sounds pretty freakin' cool!
JPSloan
Cartoon Hero

Postby CJBurgandy on Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:32 pm

You're the 2nd to the right, right?

CJBurgandy

Postby JPSloan on Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:38 pm

The fishnets were a bear to get over these thighs, let me tell you!
JPSloan
Cartoon Hero

Postby [geoduck] on Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:13 pm

I'm not much of a party-goer, so I usually just put out a jack o'lantern. And there aren't that many trick-or-treaters in this neighborhood, so there's not much need for candy.

There was a family down the street a few blocks who was putting up wildly elaborate halloween displays every year: coffins with skeletons, a giant spider on the roof, bat flying overhead on strings, etc. They collected donations for the local food bank from visitors. But they finally burned out and gave it up. It's a pity; it was so noticible that at least one Christian family on the street felt compelled to up a banner denouncing Halloween as a evil Satanist holiday. (Although they didn't say that in so many words.)
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to Off Topic