Where do the authors of dead comics go?

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics

Why do so many authors abandon their comics?

Trapped in dark parallel universe
11%
Shamed after Van Douchebag revealed their sordid past
8%
Started comic solely to keep self occupied until DVD release of Kill Bill Vol. 2
6%
Decided to acheive JD Saliger type reclusivity
No votes
Joined nunnery after feeling bad about reading Ghastly's comic
6%
Realized authors don't get paid
6%
Gave up when they found out maintaining a webcomic requires work
64%

Total votes : 36

Where do the authors of dead comics go?

Postby Toxic on Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:37 pm

I think we all know after looking through the guide 90% of KS comics dies after less than 5 updates, but whatever happened to the authors?
Toxic
Faster Pussycat

Postby Friend on Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:08 pm

I'm one!
After my comic died I descended into reclusivity for a year, and then came back to the community. With my return, happiness returned to the forums and a peaceful joy descended over the kingdom.
Agh! I'm delicious!

<A HREF="http://mcville.keenspace.com/">McVille</a> is dead.

<A HREF="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/madtop/friend.png">DRAW ME</A>
Friend
Regular Poster

Postby JexKerome on Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:34 pm

... he says. Most likely they find something to fill the time they would have used to make the comics. Or they grow out of the comic-making stage and move on.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Van Douchebag on Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:56 pm

I'd say me, but I can't take the credit away from Captain Apathy and the Boy Lazyass.
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero

Postby Keffria on Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:35 am

They were mercilessly sacrificed to the Great Muse so that the rest of us would find inspiration.
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)

Postby ManyWorlds on Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:41 am

I'm afraid I'm to blame. Well, at least, the other me....
Or maybe I've just been watching too much redubbed anime...
ManyWorlds
Cartoon Hero

Postby [geoduck] on Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:13 am

Definitely because it's work, a fact I have to face everytime I sit down at my computer to start drawing.
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jim North on Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:17 am

They're forming a coalition that will eventually rage across the planet, capturing those of us who have kept our comics going and consuming our brains so that they might gain our powers.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Vorticus on Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:49 pm

Jim North wrote:They're forming a coalition that will eventually rage across the planet, capturing those of us who have kept our comics going and consuming our brains so that they might gain our powers.

With all those people there wouldn't be enough brains to go around. Each person would only get some of our powers. That's just what the world needs, a bunch of under powered webcomickers.
Vorticus
Backrub Fiend

Postby McDuffies on Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:47 pm

Vorticus wrote:
Jim North wrote:They're forming a coalition that will eventually rage across the planet, capturing those of us who have kept our comics going and consuming our brains so that they might gain our powers.

With all those people there wouldn't be enough brains to go around. Each person would only get some of our powers. That's just what the world needs, a bunch of under powered webcomickers.

...AND THEY FIGHT CRIME!
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Warren on Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:08 pm

mcDuffies wrote:
Vorticus wrote:

...AND THEY FIGHT CRIME!
and then they got drunk.
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
Proudly despised by ex-wives since 2008.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care
Warren
Cartoon Hero

Postby JexKerome on Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:04 pm

Warren wrote:
mcDuffies wrote:
Vorticus wrote:

...AND THEY FIGHT CRIME!
and then they got drunk.

In accordance with the Prophecy
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Warren on Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:23 pm

I wish to take all the dead KS comics and incorporate them into Spare Change! I'll have the biggest webcomic ever!
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

Warren
Cartoon Hero

Postby Lupus Ignis on Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:15 am

Well, for my part, I'm just waiting for my depression to die out, so I can start being creative again :-(

Verdammt!
-Lupus Ignis
[url=http://lupusignis.keenspace.com/]Ve
Lupus Ignis

Postby ManyWorlds on Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:40 pm

When I feel uncreative, I read the most stupid-funny comic I can find.
Usually 8-Bit Theater or Bob and George.
ManyWorlds
Cartoon Hero

Postby IVstudios on Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:18 pm

If I had to guess, I bet a lot of them got discouraged after they saw some of the other comics here on Keenspace. They probably joined thinking that any jerk with a pencil and a scanner could make a web comic (which, I guess is technically true) and that all web comic artist suck, otherwise they'd be professional artists or something. Then they realized how many really good comics there are hear and got discouraged and gave up. I know that almost happened to me a bunch of times. Like when I first saw Deity Permit and Alex and Ilia, I felt like crumpling up all my comics and hiding under a bed in the fetal position sucking my thumb.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ruxen on Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:54 pm

The people who quit after 5 comics, they probably only had 5 comics to start with signed up and left their buffer there then went and found something else to interest themselves with for a while leaving their comic to rot and take up space which could be better used to give our comics publicity. I say we light them on fire.
Ruxen
Regular Poster

Postby Warren on Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:34 am

ruxen wrote:The people who quit after 5 comics, they probably only had 5 comics to start with signed up and left their buffer there then went and found something else to interest themselves with for a while leaving their comic to rot and take up space which could be better used to give our comics publicity. I say we light them on fire.
The comics or the cartoonists? Because I'm cool with either, though one would be a lot more fun.
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

Warren
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ruxen on Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:32 am

Warren wrote:
ruxen wrote:The people who quit after 5 comics, they probably only had 5 comics to start with signed up and left their buffer there then went and found something else to interest themselves with for a while leaving their comic to rot and take up space which could be better used to give our comics publicity. I say we light them on fire.
The comics or the cartoonists? Because I'm cool with either, though one would be a lot more fun.

We should gather both up into a big pile and create a Keenbonfire.
Ruxen
Regular Poster

Postby Rkolter on Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:10 am

Keffria wrote:They were mercilessly sacrificed to the Great Muse so that the rest of us would find inspiration.

that would obviously have to be Melpomene. The taking up of all that glorious space by comics that never bore fruit is a great tragedy. :)
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Next

Return to Off Topic