Star Wars TV

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics

Star Wars TV?

Hell Yeah!
12%
Hell No!
47%
I need more data before I can make up my mind
41%

Total votes : 17

Star Wars TV

Postby JexKerome on Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:49 am

Basically, some people with oodles of money drove up to Lucas' house and convinced him to do a TV series with the characters from the Original Trilogy. What do you think?

Mmmm... Original Trilogy, sounds kinda like the Colonel's Original Recipe.
Last edited by JexKerome on Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:20 am

don't know about that... but I did hear today that Cartoonnetwork got the okay to do another starwars micro-series.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Warren on Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:03 am

*still hasn't bothered to watch Episode I*
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
Proudly despised by ex-wives since 2008.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care
Warren
Cartoon Hero

Postby Van Douchebag on Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:50 am

Fuck that - we need Episode 7... directed by Woo and written by Kevin Smith.
Imagine the bitching lightsabre battles that would come out.
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero

Postby IVstudios on Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:02 am

phactorri wrote:don't know about that... but I did hear today that Cartoonnetwork got the okay to do another starwars micro-series.

Yah if it's like this than go for it! Those were awsome! If it's some live action junk than forget it. It'll be to much like StarTreck I my mind.

Van Douchebag wrote:Fuck that - we need Episode 7... directed by Woo and written by Kevin Smith.
Imagine the bitching lightsabre battles that would come out.

Hellz Yah!
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby Toxic on Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:38 am

Star What? Oh... Star Wars. I remember that. I kind of liked the original trilogy, but episodes 1 and 2 killed it for me. I've been turned off to Star Wars ever since.
Toxic
Faster Pussycat

Postby McDuffies on Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:52 am

Eh, ask me who didn't like the original trilogy in the first place...
I mean, I watched it first when I was near twenty. And I guess it's just a fairy-tale wrapped up in a silver coating after all... :-?
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Fadedflame on Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:41 pm

No, just no.
The original trilogy was cool, Episode one puts me to sleep eerytime I try to watch, and Episode two was just..horrible.
T.V. would just be worst.

Though I'm all for Woo Directing 7!
~Faded
I don't live to die, I taunt death because it is the only way to live.
Fadedflame
Regular Poster

Postby Amberchrome on Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:52 pm

Speaking of Star Wars on TV:

"What do you get a Wookiee for Christmas if he's already got a comb?"

If you can identify the source of that line, you're as big a geek as I am :P
Amberchrome
Regular Poster

Postby Jim North on Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:15 pm

I know where it's from, even though I've never personally seen it myself. I want to see it, tho', if for no other reason than to see Chewy's nephew. :P
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Esoterik on Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:08 pm

I loved Star Wars as a kid. It was my favorite thing ever. According to me, there was never any film superior to them.

I watched them a few months ago, and I was actually surprised how bad the acting is in places. I actually felt bad for thinking it was so cool.

It was more like "meh".

So, to any new Star Wars films or shows or anything, I say, "meh".
Esoterik
Regular Poster

Postby Toxic on Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:12 pm

OMG! Best idea ever! Have Quentin Tarantino direct the next Star Wars movie!

:D
Toxic
Faster Pussycat

Postby JexKerome on Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:47 pm

IMHO, the Cartoon Networks' Clone Wars suck. Those mini-erpisodes make little or no sense. Not even the Star Wars fans I know watch them.

And as far as "Episode 7", there are no Jedi left except for Luke, so there wouldn't be any such thing as lightsaber combats. Plus, George Lucas has said "No Way", so we'd have to wait at least for him to die and someone else to get the rights. Besides, if you let Smith have at it, he'll most likely swap C3PO and R2D2 for Jay and Silent Bob, and I don't want that to happen.

McDuffies, the Star Wars thing had to be captured the very first time to get it. I know a lot of people who didn't get to see it until the release of the Special Edition, and no one was awed by them, just as you weren't. It was very much the synergy of the times, as well as the fact that back then the special effects where the most bitchin' to be seen ever.

For the same reason why the Original Trilogy was successful, I pretty much expected the new one to bomb, which it did. Going in with very low expectations actually made them enjoyable.

As for the series, I'll wait and see, though it also sounds to me like "Star Wars meets Star Trek".
Last edited by JexKerome on Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby KittyKatBlack on Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:29 am

The main problem I have is that... well... if they make a TV series, unless they get Harrison Ford to play Han Solo, it's not going to be worth watching.

And actually C3P0 and R2D2 basicly ARE Jay and Silent Bob. Well, R2D2 is kinda like Jay and Silent Bob in a single package. I've heard rumors (And can tell from some of the lines in the original movies) that R2D2 isn't a cute little tin can. He's a foul mouthed, perverted little robot with a passion for getting into trouble on purpose. He just can't talk, so you can't really tell unless you pay attention.
KittyKatBlack
Cartoon Villain

Postby Van Douchebag on Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:43 am

JexKerome wrote:And as far as "Episode 7", there are no Jedi left except for Luke, so there wouldn't be any such thing as lightsaber combats. Plus, George Lucas has said "No Way", so we'd have to wait at least for him to die and someone else to get the rights.

The Matrix and Star Wars are very alike.
With the Matrix, you have the movies to tell the story, plus the Animatrix and the video games to keep on filling in more details about the plot.
Similarly, with Star Wars, you have the Expanded Universe.

In EU, Luke has opened a Jedi academy, Han and Leia had twins and another child, and Boba Fett escapes from the Sarlacc.
And mind you, Jax, this is all official. You must realize that just because it doesn't happen in the movies that it doesn't mean it never happened at all.

It's like in anime TV shows when they have movies, or in comic books when they have crossovers - all these things are in continuity with the core subject.

KittyKatBlack wrote:And actually C3P0 and R2D2 basicly ARE Jay and Silent Bob. Well, R2D2 is kinda like Jay and Silent Bob in a single package. I've heard rumors (And can tell from some of the lines in the original movies) that R2D2 isn't a cute little tin can. He's a foul mouthed, perverted little robot with a passion for getting into trouble on purpose. He just can't talk, so you can't really tell unless you pay attention.

More like Jay and Richard Simmons.
C'mon! Be a man, Threepio! Come out of the closet and reveal yourself to the world for what you truly are - Elton John's lover!
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rkolter on Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:38 am

I'd watch the pilot.

If the pilot didn't absolutely grab my eyeballs, suck them out of my skull, and moosh them into the innards of the TV itself... I probably wouldn't watch any more of it.

IMHO though... Episode I was not bad, if you ignore Jar-Jar. Episode 2 was pretty good. If at the end of episode three, they:

1) detonate the explosives in the future-vadar's neck (Remember they're there because he was a slave...) and that's how he gets so badly disfigured.

2) Send Jar Jar to Alderan as an ambassador (remember it gets blown up in IV).

3) Explain practically how it is C3PO has had his memory entirely wiped so does not know Obi Wan or anyone else in IV...

4) Explain the Sith enough to make sense.

5) Tell me what the hell happened to Jabba's girlfriend (seen in episode 1).

Then, I will be satisfied.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Postby IVstudios on Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:15 am

rkolter wrote:IMHO though... Episode I was not bad, if you ignore Jar-Jar. Episode 2 was pretty good. If at the end of episode three, they:

1) detonate the explosives in the future-vadar's neck (Remember they're there because he was a slave...) and that's how he gets so badly disfigured.

3) Explain practically how it is C3PO has had his memory entirely wiped so does not know Obi Wan or anyone else in IV...

4) Explain the Sith enough to make sense.

5) Tell me what the hell happened to Jabba's girlfriend (seen in episode 1).

Then, I will be satisfied.

Actualy I think I know the answeres to some of these. My friend Tim is a Star Wars geek, and he has coverd a lot of theres topics in his discusions.

1. I think he gets that way while fighting Obi Wan and he falls into a volcano or lava or something.
2. I think he dies somewhere between episode 2 and 3
3. I think he said in episode 4 that all his previous owners had wiped his memory. It sounded like standard practice when buying a used droid.
4. I think the sith were originally their own race, but they were destroyed by the Jedi and replaced by an army of human disciples. (This one I am really not to sure about, but that
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:28 am

TOXIC AVENGER! wrote:OMG! Best idea ever! Have Quentin Tarantino direct the next Star Wars movie!

"Star wars: episode 7; vol 1"
"Star wars: episode 7; vol 2"

McDuffies, the Star Wars thing had to be captured the very first time to get it. I know a lot of people who didn't get to see it until the release of the Special Edition, and no one was awed by them, just as you weren't. It was very much the synergy of the times, as well as the fact that back then the special effects where the most bitchin' to be seen ever.

Yeah, probably. Nowadays, special effects are so easy to make that even the latest and coolest of them fail to impress me.
Good thing we have movies of that kind that don't age.
I mean, to me "Who framed Roger Rabbit" is as cool as the first time I saw it. I guess that's because it contained something more than cool mix of live and animated characters. Compare it with "Space jam" and you realise that the second one is already almost forgotten.
Well, actually, Star Wars aren't forgotten and I give them credits for that, they weren't really just a bunch of the latest effects of the time. But whatever it is they have besides, I missed it.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby YarpsDat on Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:59 am

rkolter wrote:IMHO though... Episode I was not bad, if you ignore Jar-Jar.

and the sea creatures.
and the podrace.
and the midichlorians.
and the land battle.
and the space battle.
and blowing up the mothership
and ...

What rocked where the first two or so minutes of episode 1. Up to the point they land on the planet surface.

Episode 2 was pretty good.

I'll watch it if it's on the TV. But the commercials look so LAME!

If at the end of episode three, they:

1) detonate the explosives in the future-vadar's neck (Remember they're there because he was a slave...) and that's how he gets so badly disfigured.p

Wasn't he supposed to be dropped into a vulcano or something?
I'm not sure but I think recall reading that someplace.

XD

And Obi Wan has to have his memory erased so he doesn't remember the R2. >_>

mcDuffies wrote:Yeah, probably. Nowadays, special effects are so easy to make that even the latest and coolest of them fail to impress me.

You know what sucks about CG special effects?
It's that everybody seems to think they are great.
"Oh, I know, let's not waste our time with props, let's shot them on green bg and then add everything on computer."
And then everything looks like crap, because modern computers still can't recreate the realistic lighting effects in a reasonable time.

In the old SF they were aware they can't make realistic FX so they weren't pushing them in your face all the time.
-One of the reasons I like the ORYGINAL trylogy better than the "GOLD" version.

I'd love to see a new SF movie shot with freakin plastic models instead of goddamn shiny CG!
And without damn CG alien creatures.
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."

"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.
YarpsDat
Cartoon Hero

Postby Esoterik on Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:33 am

TOXIC AVENGER! wrote:OMG! Best idea ever! Have Quentin Tarantino direct the next Star Wars movie!

I can just see a big lightsaber battle, but instead of some dramatic music playing, it's "Stuck in the middle with you".
Esoterik
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Off Topic