soda or pop?

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics

soda or pop?

soda
13
57%
pop
6
26%
coke you fool
4
17%
 
Total votes : 23

soda or pop?

Postby Grabmygoblin on Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:48 am

soda or pop?

ANSWER!!!!!
Image
User avatar
Grabmygoblin
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 4066
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:18 pm

Postby Rkolter on Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:53 am

I've lived in Arizona, Minnesota, Illinois, Ohio, and Missouri.

I use BOTH Soda and Pop, interchangably.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
 
Posts: 16405
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.

Postby Jim North on Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:54 am

It's a good thing you put that third option in . . . I was about to come in here and give you a good harassin'. ;) Where I come from originally, all sodas are called cokes, no matter what brand they are. Soda (as you can tell by my previous sentence) is acceptable . . . but I can't stand it when people call 'em pops! I usually don't have much of a problem with local language bits like that, but really . . . "pop" just sounds ridiculous. The horrible thing is, ever since I moved up to the Arkansas/Missouri area, I've had to put up with people calling 'em that! *sob*

I remember the first time I heard 'em called that, in fact . . . I was at school, and someone asked me if I wanted a "pop". I was about to ask him what the hell he was talking about and if that was some sort of veiled threat when I noticed everyone else heading for the coke machines. I've been in "pop" hell ever since.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here

Postby Warren on Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:59 am

It's soda. I live in Western PA and everyone calls it "pop" here. I hate that.
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
Proudly despised by ex-wives since 2008.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care
User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 8167
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: 40.315948 -79.385474

Postby Okie on Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:35 pm

SOFT DRINK

COLA BEVERAGE

CARBONATED BEVERAGE

CARBONATED SUGAR WATER

CARMEL COLORED, HIGH FRUCTOSE CONCOCTION
User avatar
Okie
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Oklahoma

Postby Alaina on Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:18 pm

It's "soda pop".

Actually, it's SODA because I'm in California. But when I went to a convention in D.C. over the summer, it was the biggest issue there. Soda eventually won because we tied the Pops to lampposts.
User avatar
Alaina
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:37 pm
Location: Portland until California

Postby LAGtheNoggin on Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:47 pm

Coke you fools! COKE.

That's if I ever drink the stuff; I usually stick to the local brew, IRN BRU!

And waitasec - Wasn't this thread done before? I distinctly remember Irn Bru, Sortelli and Scotsmen... In that order. Probably.
User avatar
LAGtheNoggin
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 2532
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: the sea side

Postby Grabmygoblin on Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:49 pm

eh. might have been. http://popvssoda.com
Image
User avatar
Grabmygoblin
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 4066
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:18 pm

Postby Gage Kronos on Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:30 pm

I lived the first 12.5 years of my life in the Bay Area of California, where they correctly call it "soda".

I now live in the Pacific Northwest where they call it "pop". When I first moved up here, in my physical science class they started talking about pop. I thought they were talking about drinking with their fathers or something. I was so horribly confused.

I refuse to call it pop. It sounds stupid to me. But after living here since 1993, I've called it pop accidentally a few times. I'm trying to fight off the dark side but I can feel it gaining on me.

What to do they call it in Florida? I'll be living there soon.
User avatar
Gage Kronos
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:52 am
Location: Eugene, OR...and Goobla's boxers!

Postby Mercury Hat on Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:46 pm

Gage Kronos wrote:What to do they call it in Florida? I'll be living there soon.


According to the map it's soda or coke with a few poppers hiding around. Generally in the Southeast it's coke, I guess because of the Coca-Cola bottling plant in Atlanta.

But then, we all know parts of Florida don't deserve to be called the South.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring
User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
 
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.

Postby IVstudios on Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:10 pm

SODA!!! IF YOU CALL IT ALL "COKE" YOU ARE IGORANT!!! Just kidding
There are only like 3 sodas that are actualy "coke"


Coke
Diet coke
Caffeen free coke

calling all soda "coke" gives the other brands an unfair disadvantage!

In the words of Randal from Clercks:

Randal wrote:Brand names get an unfair advantage! I'm just Levaling the playing field


plus, you should drink the store brand, you can get like two 3 lieter bottels for less than one 2 lieter bottel of the name brand stuff. Its all the same crap in the end. :wink:
Image
User avatar
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 3606
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:52 am
Location: My little office

Postby Grayswandir on Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:21 pm

FIZZ!!!! The word is f-fizz!!!! W-we all drink fizz!!! S-saturated in s-sugar and c-caffine!!!! H-hehehehe....he-he-h-hehe....*tremor* s-stupid m-moniter...w-won't stop sh-shaking...
Image
Tank'd-Clogging the gutter and loving it...
I love children, I just can't eat a whole one.
User avatar
Grayswandir
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:10 pm
Location: running rampant in the bowels of human stupidity...

Postby RLC Davidson on Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:03 pm

Alaina wrote:It's "soda pop".

Actually, it's SODA because I'm in California. But when I went to a convention in D.C. over the summer, it was the biggest issue there. Soda eventually won because we tied the Pops to lampposts.


Wha-what??! They're trying to make it pop here??!

*goes crazy*

But seriously, most of my mom's side of the family lives in Michigan, where "pop" is prevalent. Makes visiting fun. And as for coke....

LONG LIVE PEPSI!!!
RLC, the Keenspace/ComiGen chicken.

Honour's Requiem - Who says treason isn't fun?
RLC Studios - A random website by a random artist
RLC Studios Forums
User avatar
RLC Davidson
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:08 pm
Location: The field formerly known as hill.

Postby Mercury Hat on Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:06 pm

RLC Davidson wrote:LONG LIVE PEPSI!!!


NO!

Pepsi is swill. Swill.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring
User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
 
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.

Postby IVstudios on Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:17 pm

Tell that to Greg Dean.
Image
User avatar
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 3606
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:52 am
Location: My little office

Postby Esoterik on Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:18 pm

ivstudios wrote: There are only like 3 sodas that are actualy "coke"


Coke
Diet coke
Caffiene free coke



Wrong. There's caffiene free diet coke too.
Diet coke with lime.
Diet coke with lemon.

But they are the bastard children of the coke family anyway.

Edit: Oh yeah, here in Canuckistan, everyone calls it "pop".
Esoterik
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:15 pm

Postby Mercury Hat on Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:31 pm

:cry: I like the flavored Coke.

And you forgot diet coke with vanilla.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring
User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
 
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.

Postby IVstudios on Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:31 pm

Thats why I used the word "like." It is such a useful word, it makes you not responcible for anything you say. :D
Image
User avatar
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 3606
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:52 am
Location: My little office

Postby Esoterik on Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:02 pm

Mercury_Hat wrote::cry: I like the flavored Coke.

And you forgot diet coke with vanilla.


Dammit! :D
Esoterik
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:15 pm

Postby Esoterik on Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:04 pm

ivstudios wrote:Thats why I used the word "like." It is such a useful word, it makes you not responcible for anything you say. :D


Hehehe, maybe I should be using it more often ;)
Esoterik
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:15 pm

Next

 

Return to Off Topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest